Please help me!! :-)

Dear MBAM Experts,

Could somebody please kindly advise if my MBAM is corrupt and what I should do to fix it?

I run Window$ XP Pro SP3, MBAM resident module, Avast Pro 4.8.1356, ZA Pro 9.1.008.000.

Sometimes at startup the computer takes an extraordinary long time to load. The desktop loads ok, however there is a lot of hard disk activity after that.

MBAM occasionally comes up with a message saying something like 'Couldn't execute Shell: Error Code 0'. What does this mean? Unfortunately I couldn't find any exact information in the help file, nor on the forum.

ZA Pro sometimes also appears to take a long time to load. I think this may be a clash between ZA Pro and MBAM. What do you think?

Although it seems strange because ZA Pro and MBAM resident protection have been running for around 2 years now without any problem. They play nicely.

A full MBAM scan and Avast Pro scan revealed no malware or viruses.

Would be really grateful for any insight, suggestions, comments or anything you care to contribute!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you!

Newbi3

Greetings ;)

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus and add them as Trusted in Zone Alarm:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Reboot once that's done to see how your system loads.

Please post back and let me know how it went.

Whoa Exile! Thanks so much for the speedy reply!

Excuse my inexperience, but is it really recommended by the MBAM experts to exclude files in Avast and ZA Pro? I only ask because I do not know a lot about computers and it would be great to have some confirmation. :-) So please do not take any offence, I am in no way questioning your advice or expertise.

Rather, I am really satisfied with both MBAM and the support on this board. Keep up the sterling work lads!

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Newbi3

Whoa Exile! Thanks so much for the speedy reply!

Excuse my inexperience, but is it really recommended by the MBAM experts to exclude files in Avast and ZA Pro? I only ask because I do not know a lot about computers and it would be great to have some confirmation. :-) So please do not take any offence, I am in no way questioning your advice or expertise.

You're very welcome :( . And yes, even the developers of MBAM themselves recommend it. The reason is because on occasion various security softwares might conflict with one another or cause slow system performance, excluding the files and processes from one another when possible will generally correct such issues and allow them to run alongside one another smoothly :( . And no worries, I take no offense ;) .

Hi Exile360,

Thank you again for your reply. I have added them to the exclusion list in Avast.

After rebooting, the problem seems to have disappeared. However, it didn't occur on each boot. So I will have to monitor it for a few days before I can report an 'all clear'.

I did have problems with 3 files in ZA Pro though.

In the program list I can only find:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe.

I changed the above three files status to 'trusted'.

Does anybody know how to do it with the three files below?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I realise this is not a ZA Pro forum, however the advice here is second to none! :-)

Thanks,

Newbi3

It may not be possible in ZA because it might only allow you to add processes and executables. The other files are just drivers and dll's so it may not be necessary to add them to ZA as it will hopefully exclude not just the executables you added but also the files the executables load (such as the drivers and dll's) ;) .

I'm glad it seems to be working, please do keep us posted.

I have added them to the exclusion list in Avast.

Hello Newbi3,

Can I ask what Avast product and version are you using that requires exclusion of MBAM files? Just curious because I run both Avast! Professional v.4.8 and MBAM with no exclusions needed for MBAM. Avast! build no is 1356

I've not had any conflicts with those two running together.

Hello Newbi3,

Can I ask what Avast product and version are you using that requires exclusion of MBAM files? Just curious because I run both Avast! Professional v.4.8 and MBAM with no exclusions needed for MBAM. Avast! build no is 1356

I've not had any conflicts with those two running together.

Using Avast Pro 4.8.1356 and MBAM 1.41.

I am beginning to think that ZA Pro is the culprit here...................

Will wait and see.

Cheers,

Newbi3