chrome managed by your organization - new issue

bob2

At the form below, the administrator's recommendation to go the support.google forum link at https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/3262871?hl=en recommends to download and run the "Chrome Policy Remover"; however, my MalwareBytes blocks that download with a strong warning. Is the fix at the link in the original thread still recommended by MalwareBytes? Also, what is the FarBar program that is recommended by the moderator in the original thread?

thanks

• Root Admin

Hello @bob2

That link was not provided by the Forum administrator it was provided by a Helper about 3 years ago.

The reason Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks it is that back when it was created on the Google site they used an HTTP link and not an HTTPS for Secure Link - so Malwarebytes is doing it's job to say that it is suspicious as it is.

If you're having issues with Google Chrome we have our own article on how to clean up Google Chrome

Please follow the directions from the following topic for a more extensive article on cleaning Google Chrome

Resetting Google Chrome to clear unexpected issues

Thank you

The Farbar program is a well know tool used by almost all vendors in the security sector. You can find it here on the Bleepigcomputer site

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Most computers today use x64 64-bit architecture so the one to download and use is highlighted by me

image.png

Here is the link to the documentation for the Farbar program for those that want to use it on their own.

NOTE: If you do not have a lot of experience with computing I would not recommend using it without really studying what it does and how to use it.
You can severely damage the computer if you have it remove something that should not be removed

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/781976/frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the follow-up reach out. Some googling and I think your forum led me to search my OK for these registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome\URLAllowlist]
"101"="ecw:*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome\URLWhitelist]
"101"="ecw:*"

...and ecw is a software installed in my computer. I had to do some manual reconfiguring of the ecw software which allowed me to remove the registry entries. The "managed by Organization..." statement is still displayed, but now I only get a popup nag when I start the software from the missing entries, and my Chrome has finally returned to normal function with bookmarklets.

It seems the registry entries above indirectly black-listed everything but ecw??

Please let me know if you know how I can re-import the ecw registry entries, but without collateral blocking of other entries from bookmarklets. Maybe I need a registry entry to whitelist 'javascript' bor bookmarklets?? But that might invite trouble.

Thanks for the follow-up, bob

The pair of registry entries listed above are for "policies" for Chrome. Further, URLAllow & URL Whitelist are for "allowing" a linkaddress ( URL}  or a domain. As far as "ecw" application and what to do for Chrome settings, I would urge you to seek help and advice from the publisher of that application. One other tip, the message "managed by administrator" is triggered when the registry does have some POLICY settings on Chrome browser ( which is the case here). Hence, that is a normal expected message. I cannot help you much regarding "ecw" software. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you