Problem with taskbar not fully loading?

mc42

This has happened in the past and is happening again today on a computer I have.The mouse cursor always shows as an hour glass when I move the mouse, from the desk top, down to the task bar. When the mouse is over the desktop it is an arrow and when i move it to the task bar it becomes an hourglass, as if it is still loading something, but just stays like that never finishing. When this happens i cannot start anything in the taskbar or desktop by double clicking on them. Nothing happens when I click start, so I could restart the computer, so i have to use the power button to turn the computer off. In the past turning it on and off corrected this, but today i have turned it on and off a few times and the problem persists. I also have the problem of microsoft security essentials icon no longer being in the task bar (not even hidden) but when the computer was working ok, earlier today, i could double click on MSE on desktop and it would run, updated and scan ok. I don't know what the problem is or if it a problem with the task bar. Any help would be appreciated.