Can you, please, add an anti-keylogger on MalwareBytes?

Hello. Your direct competitor HitmanProAlert has added an anti-keylogger to their software. Right now this feature makes it preferred by many users. Can you, please, add an anti-keylogger to your software, so customers can chose you instead of HitmanProAlert? Anti-keylogger software is very important. I would choose MB over HPA, if both have an anti-keylogger.

• Like 2

Keyloggers are a sub-class of trojans and have always been detected by Malwarebytes.  Note that there are also legal keyloggers.  If you are furnished company assets to perform your duties as an employee, it is legal for a company to install a keylogger on their equipment. They own it.  The legality of which is based upon the country.  Localities may even enhance country laws.

What is not legal is when non-relative installs a keylogger on another person's platform and/or device to spy on them.  Such as a guy installing it on a former girlfriends device and/or platform.  Spyware and keyloggers are a part of the malware arena known as "Stalkerware."  Malwarebytes has made a strong vocal statement against stalkerware and their products act accordingly in their detection and removal.

References:

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar

9 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Keyloggers are a sub-class of trojans and have always been detected by Malwarebytes.  Note that there is also legal keyloggers.  If you are furnished company assets to perform your duties as an employee, it is legal for a company to install a keylogger on their equipment. They own it.  The legality of which is based upon the country.  Localities may even enhance country laws.

What is not legal is when non-relative installs a keylogger on another person's platform and/or device to spy on them.  Such as a guy installing it on a former girlfriends device and/or platform.  Spyware and keyloggeers are a part malware arena of "Stalkerware."  Malwarebytes has made a vocal statement against stalkerware and their products act accordingly in their detection and removal.

References:

Even if MB is good, no AV can find 100% of malware. This is why it is recommended to scan with more than one AV. And this is why MB started as secondary AV, able to work with other AV.

Anti-keylogger is useful, because it encrypts what you are typing, in case you have got a keylogger that was not detected. It prevents keylogger to steal your info when you are typing.

Hi AlfaVitaY2K.

You might find some helpful information in the Malwarebytes Lab detection blog entry Spyware.Keylogger, which is "Malwarebytes' generic detection name for applications that can harvest keystrokes, screenshots, network activity, and other information from systems where it is installed".
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3324 * Firefox v116.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23070.1004-1.1.23070.1005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.0.277-1.0.2114 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279

22 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi AlfaVitaY2K.

You might find some helpful information in the Malwarebytes Lab detection blog entry Spyware.Keylogger, which is "Malwarebytes' generic detection name for applications that can harvest keystrokes, screenshots, network activity, and other information from systems where it is installed".
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3324 * Firefox v116.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23070.1004-1.1.23070.1005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.0.277-1.0.2114 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279

Thanks. I know what a keylogger is. I'm just advising MB to add an anti-keylogger to their software.

1 hour ago, AlfaVitaY2K said:

Thanks. I know what a keylogger is. I'm just advising MB to add an anti-keylogger to their software.

Hi AlfaVitaY2K:

You weren't clear in your original post, but by "anti-keylogger" I assume you mean that you would like Malwarebytes to encrypt every keystroke that you write online to prevent keyloggers from capturing sensitive data like credit card numbers (i.e., like HitmanPro.Alert does) in addition to the real-time protection Malwarebytes Premium now provides against keyloggers.  If so I agree that would be a useful feature to have, at least in the home consumer editions of Malwarebytes.  As David H. Lipman noted <above>, I'm not sure this type of keystroke encryption could be added to any of their business products like Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection.
------------

7 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi AlfaVitaY2K:

You weren't clear in your original post, but by "anti-keylogger" I assume you mean that you would like Malwarebytes to encrypt every keystroke that you write online to prevent keyloggers from capturing sensitive data like credit card numbers (i.e., like HitmanPro.Alert does) in addition to the real-time protection Malwarebytes Premium now provides against keyloggers.  If so I agree that would be a useful feature to have, at least in the home consumer editions of Malwarebytes.  As David H. Lipman noted <above>, I'm not sure this type of keystroke encryption could be added to any of their business products like Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection.
------------

That's right. I'm talking exactly about encryption when you type, like in HitmanProAlert. I didn't know MB has encryption now. I've checked the settings and was unable to find it.

17 minutes ago, AlfaVitaY2K said:

That's right. I'm talking exactly about encryption when you type, like in HitmanProAlert. I didn't know MB has encryption now. I've checked the settings and was unable to find it.

Hi AlfaVitaY2K:

Malwarebytes Premium doesn't encrypt keystrokes, but it does currently offer some real-time protection against keyloggers.  See the image in the Malwarebytes Lab detection blog entry Spyware.Keylogger I previously mentioned that shows Malwarebytes Premium blocking the installation of a keylogger.  Someone with more knowledge with the inner workings of Malwarebytes would have to tell you what detection method(s) [e.g., real-time behaviour-based heuristics detection,  file-based detection of SHA-256 hashes for known keyloggers, web-based protection to block malicious sites, etc.] they use to protect against keyloggers.
------------

2 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi AlfaVitaY2K:

Malwarebytes Premium doesn't encrypt keystrokes, but it does currently offer some real-time protection against keyloggers.  See the image in the Malwarebytes Lab detection blog entry Spyware.Keylogger I previously mentioned that shows Malwarebytes Premium blocking the installation of a keylogger.  Someone with more knowledge with the inner workings of Malwarebytes would have to tell you what detection method(s) [e.g., real-time behaviour-based heuristics detection,  file-based detection of SHA-256 hashes for known keyloggers, web-based protection to block malicious sites, etc.] they use to protect against keyloggers.
------------

Are you saying MB can detect any malware for 100%? There is no such thing. No AV brand claims this. New malware, including keyloggers, can stay undetected until they become well known.

1 hour ago, AlfaVitaY2K said:

Are you saying MB can detect any malware for 100%? There is no such thing. No AV brand claims this. New malware, including keyloggers, can stay undetected until they become well known.

Hi AlfaVitaY2K:

No. I've never claimed that any one antivirus or anti-malware product could claim to be 100% effective in stopping 100% of all threats 100% of the time.

Apologies if I've said anything to offend you.  I said before that adding keystroke encryption to Malwarebytes sounds like a good idea and something that Malwarebyes might want to peruse. I have nothing further to add so I'll step out of this thread now that I understand your definition of "anti-keylogger software".
------------

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, David H. Lipman said:

Keyloggers are a sub-class of trojans and have always been detected by Malwarebytes.  Note that there are also legal keyloggers.  If you are furnished company assets to perform your duties as an employee, it is legal for a company to install a keylogger on their equipment. They own it.  The legality of which is based upon the country.  Localities may even enhance country laws.

WHAT?

I no agree, keyloggers always are keyloggers, or say, illegal by privacy concerns, as keyloggers are mainly to theft your passwords

On 2/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, leo3487 said:

WHAT?

I no agree, keyloggers always are keyloggers, or say, illegal by privacy concerns, as keyloggers are mainly to theft your passwords

If you are on a company furnished computer that company is authorized, and it is legal, to install a keylogger.  When one is working on a company furnished computer one does not have privacy.  It is presumed all work is work related and not personal.  Thus one must act accordingly and not use the system for personal reasons or benefit and especially, do not store personal documents on it.

If I install a keylogger on a girlfriend's computer or mobile device that is not legal.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Thanks 1

Anyway you know, at office employees also access to their social network or use home banking to pay their services when get paid

At least here Argentina is not rare do so (when only 1 user use a pc), then keylogger would make office PCs quite a risk as IT guys has access to your accounts

Edited by leo3487

Exactly why one should NOT be engaging in such activities on company furnished equipment on the companies time.

Another thing to consider is that using Social Media and other non company related sites introduces cyber risks to that company.

• Like 2