Possible suspicious malware

After contacting apple support they said I should contact you and leave details here

I get suspicious notifications I can turn off in the notification centre a unnamed website with an icon that looks like settings with a red dot in the top right.

Remove it remove a bunch of other websites and they will come back after a reboot or just randomly some time in the future with a few more added in.

Additionally random other websites are added to notifications most with a red circular icon some look like websites I have been to others are definitely not some will have the notification turned on some don't

MacUpdate is a site which gets it notifications turned on but retains its icon even after I remove it

While the unnamed website is denied notifications stop.

malwarebytes says the mac is clean as do all other anti -virus I have tried Apple tech support though suspects a new virus and said to contact Malwarebytes

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 1.26.20 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 1.40.08 pm.png

• Staff

This is not actually malware. What has happened there, with the item at the top of your first screenshot, is that some site has tricked you into allowing notifications. Once that has been done, it will show you repeated scam notifications, in the macOS Notification Center.

There are a couple things you should do. One is to change that item from Allow to Deny. That will stop the notifications from that site.

The next is to disallow sites from asking for notification permissions at all. This, of course, depends on the person, but I personally have never found that notifications from any website are actually useful. It was once a promising and interesting technology, but marketing messaging and scams have ruined it.

In Safari, open the settings window (choose Settings from the Safari menu), then click the Websites icon in the toolbar. At the bottom of this screen, you'll see a box titled "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications." It is checked by default, but I advise unchecking this box.

Screenshot2023-08-18at8_38_23AM.thumb.png.37f91ff33a936bb81ad74f9fa9e16ad6.png

34 minutes ago, treed said:

This is not actually malware. What has happened there, with the item at the top of your first screenshot, is that some site has tricked you into allowing notifications. Once that has been done, it will show you repeated scam notifications, in the macOS Notification Center.

There are a couple things you should do. One is to change that item from Allow to Deny. That will stop the notifications from that site.

The next is to disallow sites from asking for notification permissions at all. This, of course, depends on the person, but I personally have never found that notifications from any website are actually useful. It was once a promising and interesting technology, but marketing messaging and scams have ruined it.

In Safari, open the settings window (choose Settings from the Safari menu), then click the Websites icon in the toolbar. At the bottom of this screen, you'll see a box titled "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications." It is checked by default, but I advise unchecking this box.

Screenshot2023-08-18at8_38_23AM.thumb.png.37f91ff33a936bb81ad74f9fa9e16ad6.png

Actually I have already done that and I no longer get a request for notifications I suspiciously get notifications regarding cookies and cookie settings these are annoying and they can be on regular sites and you are correct I assume I got one of these requests and accepted it unintentionally

however the problem is after doing so denying the notifications and even deleting the websites from notifications they come back on their own either after a restart or some random time later with additional websites I had the apple tech on screen sharing when this happened and they freaked a bit

• Staff

Cookie notifications within a website are, unfortunately, a normal part of life these days. They're annoying, but not malicious. Is this what you're referring to, or are you seeing these in the Notification Center as well? (These would be separate little floating windows in the upper right corner of the screen, that remain even if the browser is hidden or not open.)

Regarding browser notification entries coming back, that's likely to be a glitch in macOS rather than anything malicious. In macOS Ventura, there are notification settings both in Safari's settings and in the System Settings app, under Notifications. Sometimes, these seem to be oddly not synchronized, so the notifications can be on in one place and off in the other. Try turning the notifications for unwanted sites off in both locations, but don't actually delete them from the list. Leave them there so that they're permanently denied.

Interesting that at least told me livescience.com the one whose icon was copied on the fake notification entries and a couple of other sites were in there disabled them MacUpdate one that keeps returning also was not synced the blank is still a mystery. lets see if they revert or reappear now