[ RESOLVED ] using malwarebytes

If i use malwarebytes with its default features right inside the windows security , will it be enough for my pc ?
The features under settings stand for real time scanning ?

does malware bytes behavior scan to detect malware/viruses/rootkits etc on websites as expert system and A.I. are off as default ?

1 minute ago, abbaqa said:

If i use malwarebytes with its default features right inside the windows security , will it be enough for my pc ?

If you leave the defaults except for re-enabling Defender by doing the following,

image.png.5e4dda34dff87fc87a7d6d19fc51a554.png

Also, be sure Browser Guard is installed as well with default settings. I would also add Ublock Origin as well.

3 minutes ago, abbaqa said:

can i use mw without registering it inside win security?

Yes

3 minutes ago, abbaqa said:

will it defend completely with its default features completely?

There is NO 100% protection no matter what software you use. But changing default settings can cause the computer to not work correctly.

Here is the user guide. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038984693?lang=en_US&affiliate=&x-source=mb4pchelp

Edited by Porthos

On 8/14/2023 at 9:56 PM, abbaqa said:

If i use malwarebytes with its default features right inside the windows security , will it be enough for my pc ? The features under settings stand for real time scanning ?

does malware bytes behavior scan to detect malware/viruses/rootkits etc on websites as expert system and A.I. are off as default ?

On 8/14/2023 at 10:35 PM, abbaqa said:

i ve been asking about the below settings, are these settings for a real time protection?

Hi abbaqa:

If you paid for a Premium license and have a Win 7 SP1 or higher operating system then all four protection modules (Web Protection / Malware Protection / Ransomware Protection / Exploit Protection) on the main Dashboard should be turned on as shown below to ensure you are protected in real-time.  The support article Real-Time Protection in Malwarebytes for Windows explains how these four modules will protect you from online scams and phishing sites while you are browsing (if Web Protection is enabled) and should detect and block or remove potential threats that try to infect your system in real-time. Settings for some of these modules can be configured (e.g., Settings | Security | Exploit Protection | Manage Protected Applications; Settings | Allow List | Add | Allow a Website, etc.) but in most cases the settings for your real-time protection should only be changed if they are causing a problem and a Malwarebytes employee or Trusted Advisor like Porthos has confirmed that it is safe to do so.

MBv4_5_34_275-1_0_2102MainDashboardReal-TimeProtectionOn16Aug2023.png.ef8dac7f3a170bf636f5e724c91f0737.png

According to the support article Security Settings in Malwarebytes for Windows the settings in your 14-Aug-2023 image <above> at Settings | Security | Scan Options are the rules Malwarebytes uses when you run a manual scan like a Threat Scan (Dashboard | Scanner | Scan button) to look for any malware, PUPs (potentially unwanted software like browser toolbars, adware, etc.) or PUMs (potentially unwanted registry modification) that were missed by your antivirus and/or Malwarebytes Premium real-time protection - see Scan Types in Malwarebytes for Windows for a list of the locations on your system that manual Threat Scans and Quick Scans will scan for hidden malware.  If you have a scheduled scan at Dashboard | Scanner | Scheduled Scan you can edit the default scheduled scan options (e.g., Scan for Rootkits, etc.) as instructed in the support article Set Up Scheduled Scans in Malwarebytes for Windows. To configure the options for a one-time Custom Scan (e.g., Scan for Rootkits, specific folders to scan, etc.) go to Dashboard | Scanner | Advanced Scanners | Custom Scan | Configure Scan .

Here are my Scan Options settings for my manual scans, which match what Porthos recommended <above>:

MBv4_5_34_275-1_0_2102SettingsSecurityScanOptions16Aug2023.png.1fb94b50866be124cc07ff2d3f5c2312.png

I'd advise that you use the default settings at Settings | Security | Scan Options that are shown in my image above and leave both Scan for Rootkits and Use Expert System Algorithms to Identify Malicious Files turned OFF. The support article Security Settings in Malwarebytes for Windows notes that enabling a rootkit scan for every manual scan will significantly increase the time to complete each scan and this setting is disabled by default. Use of scanning with Expert System Algorithms is still experimental and can significantly increase the number of false positive detections (i.e., when files are incorrectly flagged as "potentially dangerous" even though they are safe) during a scan and could remove a "legitimate" file needed to run important software so this setting is currently disabled by default as well - see Malwarebytes employee pbust's Sept 2021 Malware.Heuristic.100X Detections and Explanation for further details.

All Malwarebytes v4.x settings are described in detail in the online Malwarebytes for Windows v4 User Guide. In general, the only setting most Win 10 and Win 11 users need to change in Malwarebytes Premium is to go to Settings | Security | Windows Security Center and disable Always Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center as Porthos suggested <above>.  This will ensure that Microsoft Defender (or whatbever antivirus you use) is still active and acts as your primary real-time protection, while Malwarebytes Premium runs in the background as a second layer of protection to detect anything in real-time that is missed by your antivirus.
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3324 * Firefox v116.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23070.1004-1.1.23070.1005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.34.275-1.0.2102 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lmacri said:

Expert System Algorithms is still experimental

if this is so then mw should add ''beta'' with this option, why they are confusing users? and according to mr. porthos mw leaves many files to let them run on my pc until they start their action , it means mw waits for a malware to start it;s activity and then tries to catch it with a behavior shield if possible, in the light of his words i ve come to know that mw needs windows defender to cover this dark side of mw... as win 11/10 is massively bugged now a days and we can not trust win security it impossible to use mw as a standalone security as it is missing the 1st line of defense.. prothos also said that mw is just a lyer of security like ublock origin... we cant trust or pay for such kind of week security which has a great risk of security... placed a refund... thx