Bugs killed - Have host of other problems

KPP

You're welcome Kate :)

It's not as much as it appears to be ;) . It just looks like a lot. You should go with the second option for now (uninstalling Service Pack 3 and reinstalling it, then visiting Microsoft Update to install updates), that will likely correct all the missing system file problems.

Hi Exile, ;)

I'm back & I have located my xp cd. I don't know if it's usable or not, but I have it now. ;)

Kate :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again ;)

I'm glad you found your XP disc. As long as you have a CD burner you should be able to follow the instructions I posted here to make the disc current and then use the new disc you created to run SFC ;) .

Awh, Exile, and just when I thot we had the problem solved. My CD burner is not working. I can probably use one on a friend's computer. Would that be ok?

Kate

Yes, that would be just fine ;) . Just follow those instructions using your own disc. Also, for the sake of kindness to your friend's hard drive, be sure to delete the files and folders you created for slipstreaming the disc when you're done ;) .

Exile,

OMG. Now that IS a lot of work. whew! I shall read the instructions thoroughly and figure out how to proceed on my friend's computer. BTW what I have on my computer is just one working CD drive. It actually is a burner, but I don't have another CD drive to copy from.

Thanks (I think) ;)

Kate

You don't need another drive to copy from :) . You can copy the files from your XP CD as explained in the link and then once you've done all the steps you needed the XP CD for you can remove it from the drive to burn the new disc.

Dear Exile,

You are both a psychic and a guardian angel. ;) I was wondering that very thing, and now I feel so much better knowing I won't have to mess with anyone else's pc.

Mucho gratzi, ;)

Kate

p.s. Linguists may be cringing at the liberties I take with language! ;)

You're very welcome :)

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues with the steps and I'll do my best to assist you.

OMG ... I took a deep breath ... make that a very deep breath ... and began to read the detailed instructions to create an updated CD. And right off the bat, the guy says

"Prerequisites

This time around, I'm only providing one set of instructions, involving only freely available tools you can readily find online. Here's what you need to make it work.

A Windows XP Home or Professional with SP2 Setup CD. It's possible that an original XP Setup CD or an XP with SP1 Setup CD will work, but I've only tested XP with SP2, both retail and volume license versions of the CD...."

So, my friend, what gives? I have a Windows XP CD with SP 1a, not even SP2. What next?

It does work with non SP2 CD's, I have confirmed this myself by using a raw no SP XP CD. If you'd like however, you can use his guide on slipstreaming SP2 into a SP1 or non SP CD, create that disc, then use that disc to create a slipstreamed SP3 disc, that way you're certain not to be missing any components previously released in SP2 :) . The guide on slipstreaming SP2 can be found here :) . While this may seem a waste of a blank CD, given the low cost of blank CD's I'd rather have you do it this way so that you're certain to avoid any problems as well as to set your mind at ease during the rest of the process :) . Again, be sure to delete the files\folders you created during this process once the SP2 CD is created so you don't waste a ton of space on your or your friend's hard drive :) .

It does work with non SP2 CD's, I have confirmed this myself by using a raw no SP XP CD. If you'd like however, you can use his guide on slipstreaming SP2 into a SP1 or non SP CD, create that disc, then use that disc to create a slipstreamed SP3 disc, that way you're certain not to be missing any components previously released in SP2 :) . The guide on slipstreaming SP2 can be found here :) . While this may seem a waste of a blank CD, given the low cost of blank CD's I'd rather have you do it this way so that you're certain to avoid any problems as well as to set your mind at ease during the rest of the process :) . Again, be sure to delete the files\folders you created during this process once the SP2 CD is created so you don't waste a ton of space on your or your friend's hard drive :) .

Exile,

I trust your judgement & I want to do it the quickest way because I have another project starting in 1 week & I'll be pretty busy for a month.

So ... the quickest way?

Kate

The quickest way would be to go ahead and slipstream the disc with SP3 and skip the SP2 part :) . If you're comfortable with that then go ahead, and once you've made your new Windows CD run SFC as instructed in my previous post :) .

Exile,

In the slipstreaming guide, there's mention of getting ImgBurn. "This is an excellent free utility for disc burning." I couldn't figure how to download it & the only burning s/w I have is Windows Media??

Kate

Hello again :)

A direct link to download the latest version of IMGBurn can be found here. If you need anything else, just let me know. Also, please be sure to keep me updated on your progress.

Exile,

When I clicked that link, here's what I got:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe on this server.

Please inform the administrator of the referring page, http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...30039&st=80 if you think this was a mistake.

If you're trying to download ImgBurn, please click here or wait to be redirected in 10 seconds.

Then it brought me back to the main page & I still don't know where to click.

Kate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

download.imgburn.com

• 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

Hi Kate,

Please go ahead and run the DDS scanner and the AutoRuns scan and post back the logs. Go ahead and install the Logitech mouse if you like but if you do then please install it before you run the DDS and AutoRuns programs.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Go ahead and install the Logitech mouse if you like but if you do then please install it before you run the DDS and AutoRuns programs.

Oops. forgot to add this comment. I tried to install it, but don't know how to find the drivers. I tried and failed even after inserting the XP disc. How do I find the drivers?

• Root Admin

Yes you can proceed without doing the air clean for now. Just want you to do that as overheating from blocked vents can also be a cause of freezing or unexpected lockups, etc.

For now let's not worry about the mouse - we can do that later. Go ahead and run the other scans requested and post back the logs.

On another topic, please do not quote every post as it makes it more difficult overall to read.

Thanks

UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED, DO NOT POST THIS LOG.

IF REQUESTED, ZIP IT UP & ATTACH IT

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01)

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Install Date: 7/9/2005 9:59:57 PM

System Uptime: 7/1/2010 12:52:39 AM (1 hours ago)

Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation | |

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz | Socket 478 | 1794/400mhz

==== Disk Partitions =========================

A: is Removable

C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 29 GiB total, 6.214 GiB free.

D: is CDROM ()

E: is CDROM (CDFS)

==== Disabled Device Manager Items =============

==== System Restore Points ===================

RP1523: 4/11/2010 2:31:14 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1524: 4/12/2010 6:11:11 AM - Removed Adobe Reader 9.3.1.

RP1525: 4/12/2010 6:13:02 AM - Removed Full Tilt Poker.Net

RP1526: 4/12/2010 6:14:53 AM - Removed Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 9.

RP1527: 4/14/2010 2:52:01 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1528: 4/15/2010 8:18:07 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1529: 4/15/2010 11:07:09 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1530: 4/18/2010 8:13:54 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1531: 4/18/2010 10:37:19 AM - Installed Adobe Reader 9.3.

RP1532: 4/19/2010 3:56:51 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1533: 4/20/2010 5:48:54 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1534: 5/2/2010 5:28:52 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1535: 5/2/2010 6:27:53 PM - Removed QuickTime

RP1536: 5/5/2010 6:12:42 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1537: 5/12/2010 1:09:40 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1538: 5/13/2010 2:48:58 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1539: 5/14/2010 5:47:51 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1540: 5/19/2010 3:46:57 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1541: 5/20/2010 8:46:14 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1542: 5/23/2010 8:57:17 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1543: 5/26/2010 4:30:35 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1544: 5/26/2010 7:01:38 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1545: 5/31/2010 1:26:43 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1546: 6/2/2010 1:58:34 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1547: 6/4/2010 6:30:27 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1548: 6/7/2010 1:55:58 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1549: 6/10/2010 10:40:57 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1550: 6/11/2010 11:28:58 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1551: 6/13/2010 9:50:49 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1552: 6/14/2010 7:22:13 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1553: 6/15/2010 7:57:33 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1554: 6/21/2010 1:33:03 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1555: 6/22/2010 1:53:03 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1556: 6/23/2010 2:15:14 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1557: 6/23/2010 4:33:46 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1558: 6/23/2010 10:27:01 PM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1559: 6/24/2010 11:25:47 PM - System Checkpoint

RP1560: 6/26/2010 1:36:19 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1561: 6/26/2010 11:59:52 PM - Restore Operation

RP1562: 6/28/2010 12:27:02 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1563: 6/29/2010 7:38:17 AM - System Checkpoint

RP1564: 6/29/2010 7:55:12 AM - Software Distribution Service 3.0

RP1565: 6/30/2010 9:11:41 AM - System Checkpoint

==== Installed Programs ======================

123 Free Solitaire

2WIRE Wireless LAN - USB Driver

7-Zip 4.65

Acrobat.com

Adobe AIR

Adobe Download Manager

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin

Adobe Reader 9.3.2

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

Adobe

• Root Admin

Well to start off please answer the following questions.

1. What is the DELL model and / or if possible the Service Tag on the computer ?

2. Do you use the Yahoo messenger or the Address AutoComplete feature ?

3. Do you have or did you have Roxio CD or DVD writing software installed at some point?

I would like you to answer the questions above first in a reply, then do the following.

STEP 01

I want you to fully remove your Avira AV and reboot the computer. DO NOT go surfing the Internet or reading email as this can get you infected.

STEP 02

After the computer restarts come back here only (no other sites) and then click on START - RUN and copy/paste the following into the Run line and click OK.

CMD /C SC DELETE Cdralw2k

Then restart the computer once again.

STEP 03

Please go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove and uninstall the following program Advanced SystemCare 3

STEP 04

You have a few other odd items left over that Combofix will help us remove so please download it and run it as shown below.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by me or another helper at this forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download ComboFix from below:
    Combofix download
    * IMPORTANT !!! Place combofix.exe on your Desktop
  2. Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
    You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
  3. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  4. As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed.
    Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
    cfRC_screen_1.png
    The Windows recovery console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery mode that allows us to help you in the case that your computer has a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
    With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.
    Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement.
    ComboFix will now automatically install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console onto your computer, which will show up as a new option when booting up your computer. Do not select the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console option when you start your computer unless requested to by a helper.
    Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see a message that says:
    The Recovery Console was successfully installed.
    cfRC_screen_2.png
    Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  5. Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.
  6. When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply
    Note:
    Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 05

Based on what the new logs say and the answers to the questions asked at the top we'll go from there.

Again, do not go surfing the Internet or reading email until we get you past this point.

• Root Admin

Please download but DO NOT install these updates yet. We need to wait until you're done with the other routines above.

Just save them in a folder or your desktop where you can find them later on.

When ready and I ask you to, then you also need to install them in the following order.

1. Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

2. Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP

3. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

4. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

5. DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

6. Microsoft IntelliPoint 7.0 Mouse Software for Windows x86

7. Update for Root Certificates [May 2010] (KB931125)

8. Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB980195)