KPP

Bugs killed - Have host of other problems

If it prompts for isapnp.sys again then browse to this location if it exists and it should find the file there: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386.

Please follow the instructions here and then try the installation again. If it doesn't work or you have any further errors please let me know.

Did not work. Same error message.

That's OK, since it's the original driver with a date back in 2002 we don't need to install it that badly anyway. I'm trying to find a more up to date driver directly from Intel and once I do we'll install that one instead :D .

In the mean time please do the following:

Update/Install Adobe:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall any versions of Adobe Reader if found
  • Click here and download the latest version of Adobe Reader, unchecking the option for the Google Toolbar if you do not wish to install it.
  • Save this file to your desktop and run it to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Now open Adobe Reader by clicking Start>All Programs>Adobe Reader 9
  • Read and accept the License Terms and when Adobe Reader loads click Help at the top and select Check for Updates...
  • Install any updates that it finds, allowing it to close Adobe Reader if it requests to do so
  • Delete the installation file from your desktop as it is no longer needed.

Once that's done I need a bit more info from you:

• Click on Start and right-click on My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Device Manager on the left
  • Click on the + next to System devices
  • Look in the list for the lines that start with Intel® and post back with the 8xxx and/or 9xx numbers listed next to them

Once that's done I need a bit more info from you:

[*]Look in the list for the lines that start with Intel

You may delete the drivers you downloaded previously. I'm going to have you grab the latest ones directly from Intel instead of going through Dell since the drivers they supply for your system are drastically out of date.

Download the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility from here and save the file to your desktop then do the following making sure that the .bat file is saved to the same location as the driver file you just downloaded:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    infinst911_autol.exe -OVERALL -OVERIDE

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Install.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Once the installation is complete you will be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.

BTW, I ran a new AVScan & it turned up one suspicious file:
Since that file is in C:\System Volume Information which is where your System Restore points are stored, this item is likely a false positive on the part of your AV since you cleared your restore points previously. For now, if you'd like to clear out your restore points, thus deleting the file that got flagged you may do the following:

Reset System Restore:

• Click on Start and right click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore (Note: if it is already checked then leave it that way and proceed to the Create a fresh Restore Point part of the instructions)
  • Reboot your computer

Create a fresh Restore Point

• Once you've rebooted from the previous step click on Start and right click My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore to enable it again
  • Reboot your computer
  • Once your PC is booted again click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Performance and Maintenance (Note: if you do not see Performance and Maintenance listed click on the Switch to Category View link on the left pane of the window)
  • Click on System Restore on the left pane of the window
  • Once the System Restore interface opens select Create a restore point and click on the Next button
  • In the Restore point description: box type Clean Restore Point and click on the Create button
  • Once it says Restore Point Created click on the Close button

Please let me know how everything is running and if you're still having the freezing issues with your mouse. Also, did you ever try plugging in your keyboard to a different USB port (you said you had 6 of them)? If not, then please do so if the freezing issue is still happening or if you're still getting the Found New Hardware prompts.

Download the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility[\b]

[*]Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Downloaded the Intel drivers, and extracted the files. However, I received a message: "The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the software. Installation stopped."

What next?

Kate :D

That's OK, I found a different version that should work:

Download this version of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility from here and save the file to your desktop then do the following making sure that the .bat file is saved to the same location as the driver file you just downloaded:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    infinst_enu.exe -OVERALL -OVERIDE

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Install.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Once the installation is complete you will be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.

That's OK, I found a different version that should work:

Download this version of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility from here and save the file to your desktop then do the following making sure that the .bat file is saved to the same location as the driver file you just downloaded:

Did not completely install. It kept asking for files that could not be located, like pci.sys and others.

I am very impressed with how persistent you guys are. I would have given up and tried a repair install ages ago.

Alright, missing system files such as pci.sys is a bad sign. It's time to run SFC. You'll need to do so with a current (XP Service Pack 3) level disc though so please carefully follow these steps:

To make your Windows XP disc current please follow the instructions in this guide.

Once that is complete and you've burned your new XP disc proceed with the following:

Note: Do not try running SFC unless you have already successfully created the slipstreamed XP SP3 installation disc otherwise you'll end up replacing current system files with older versions which could leave your system insecure.

System File Checker (SFC):

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box type or copy and paste the following exactly as written in the Code box:
    sfc /scannow

Then press Enter or click on OK.

• Note: you will need to have your Windows installation disc handy for this. If you do not, then please refer to this information to learn how to use sfc without a Windows disc.

Alright, missing system files such as pci.sys is a bad sign. It's time to run SFC. You'll need to do so with a current (XP Service Pack 3) level disc though so please carefully follow these steps:

I cannot locate my XP CD. I will try to borrow a friend's & get back to you.

Kate

If you can't find it, then when you get the errors while installing drivers you can try browsing to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 when it asks for the location of files. Those will be the files installed by SP3. It's still a good idea to have a fully patched XP CD though.

I have a SP3 CD I ordered from Microsoft and was delivered in a few days for a small fee:

Order Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a CD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

If you can't find it, then when you get the errors while installing drivers you can try browsing to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 when it asks for the location of files. Those will be the files installed by SP3. It's still a good idea to have a fully patched XP CD though.

The thing is I have all the SP3 files . They were downloaded when it became available some time ago, so I don't understand the issue.

Note: Do not try running SFC unless you have already successfully created the slipstreamed XP SP3 installation disc otherwise you'll end up replacing current system files with older versions which could leave your system insecure.

Also, I thought the next step was running SFC, which you did not recommend doing without the CD.

I'm kinda lost at this point ... so what is the next thing to do?

I am very impressed with how persistent you guys are. I would have given up and tried a repair install ages ago.

What is a "repair install?"

The thing is I have all the SP3 files . They were downloaded when it became available some time ago, so I don't understand the issue.
Correct, and that's where SP3 stored them, as for why they're turning up missing, that's what we'll soon find out, or at least fix.
Also, I thought the next step was running SFC, which you did not recommend doing without the CD.
I'm sorry, I was referring to attempting to install the drivers, not running SFC, do not run SFC until you create that CD but try installing the drivers again in the meantime and when it asks for system files point it to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386.

What is a "repair install?"

A repair install is when you reinstall Windows without formatting the drive, thus leaving your data intact but potentially correcting issues with the system. In this case, given that you'd have to use the recovery partition on the hard drive (assuming your system has one), this would be a bad idea because you would be doing a repair install of a Service Pack 3 level system using a disc image of an unpatched XP operating system.

Sorry guys, I didn't realise that the HDD's restore partition was the only recovery media available. As exile360 says, it would be a bad idea to attempt a repair install from that. A Windows XP Home Edition Setup Disk with SP3 integrated into it should be used for a repair install on this system. And even then, I would backup the Favorites and My Documents folders before I did it. But it may not come to that. I have read a lot of exile360's posts and he has a vast amount of computer knowledge which is far beyond my own. So he may be able to cure the problems without resorting to a repair install. I wish I had exile360's knowledge and persistence. I am generally a lazy blighter who is always looking for a 'quick fix'. :D

Correct, and that's where SP3 stored them, as for why they're turning up missing, that's what we'll soon find out, or at least fix.

I'm sorry, I was referring to attempting to install the drivers, not running SFC, do not run SFC until you create that CD but try installing the drivers again in the meantime and when it asks for system files point it to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386.

Tried installing the drivers again. Here's what happened:

Post #49 - Started here. Did the same thiing, same results.

Post #50 -

Post #51 - Did not ask for that file.

#52 Tried that.

#55 Did that again.

#56 Got same message again.

#57 Did that

#58 Got the same message that it's still missing pci.sys. Got 60% installed--during which time all my new hardware found popups appeared--it continued until it got to`pcidi.sys' which it couldn't find. Passed over that file and completed the process. Says it was sccessful & asked me to restart, which I did. BTW several times while the install ran, i got some unusual sounds, like a critical stop, but muted and more melodic.

AFTER RE-START, got all my same startup messages about new hardware.

The sounds are normal, that's because it was removing devices and then reinstalling them which is part of the new driver installation process. Now, as for pcidi.sys, I can't find any information on a file by that name. Are you sure it wasn't actually pcide.sys?

Any luck tracking down your Windows XP installation disc? We will be needing it soon.

The sounds are normal, that's because it was removing devices and then reinstalling them which is part of the new driver installation process. Now, as for pcidi.sys, I can't find any information on a file by that name. Are you sure it wasn't actually pcide.sys?

It's possible I could have copied it down wrong. The only way to know for sure is to rerun the install and see if it pops up again. BTW, I did find one faint reference to pcidi here: http://www.driverheaven.net/mac-os-x-drive...er-1-2b1-3.html

Any luck tracking down your Windows XP installation disc? We will be needing it soon.

No luck at all. I cannot locate mine and neither can any of my friends. But I will keep looking . :P

I found the same reference as you, but it indicates a driver for Mac OSX, not Windows so it shouldn't be on your system, nor should it be required. We really will need that CD unless you are able to use the instructions posted here.

Another option would be to actually uninstall Service Pack 3 and then reinstall it from here by saving the file to your desktop and running it but if you do so you must first reboot your PC after removing it, then proceed with reinstalling it once your computer boots up again. After that you will also need to do the following to make sure that all other updates are still in place:

• I advise you visit Microsoft Update
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will recommend that you turn on Automatic Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
  • Install any critical updates that are available then reboot when it asks you to
  • Return to the site again to check for more updates and install them
  • Repeat this process until it says there are no important updates to install

I found the same reference as you, but it indicates a driver for Mac OSX, not Windows so it shouldn't be on your system, nor should it be required. We really will need that CD unless you are able to use the instructions posted here.

Another option would be to actually uninstall Service Pack 3 and then reinstall it from here by saving the file to your desktop and running it but if you do so you must first reboot your PC after removing it, then proceed with reinstalling it once your computer boots up again. After that you will also need to do the following to make sure that all other updates are still in place:

• I advise you visit Microsoft Update
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will recommend that you turn on Automatic Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
  • Install any critical updates that are available then reboot when it asks you to
  • Return to the site again to check for more updates and install them
  • Repeat this process until it says there are no important updates to install

Whew, that makes me weary just reading it all. I think I will continue my search for the XP CD. BTW, it's possible the "mouse freezing problem" has been solved. I hope so ... because my mouse hasn't frozen at all today. Yay. :)

I can live with the other issues for awhile. I have another project coming up & I need to spend time getting ready for it. So let me wish you a Happy Holidays now. I'll be back whenever I have either found the CD or finished my prep work.

Many thanks for all your help & hard work. :)

Kate

You're welcome Kate :)

It's not as much as it appears to be :) . It just looks like a lot. You should go with the second option for now (uninstalling Service Pack 3 and reinstalling it, then visiting Microsoft Update to install updates), that will likely correct all the missing system file problems.