Scanning and Moving Photos

NewTricks

This concerns two separate topics:

1. Photo scanning with HP devices
  2. Jump Drives

Scanning:

I've noticed that my HP Photosmart 6520 gives better output of the same photo at 200 dpi than my Office Jet Pro 9010 series at 600 dpi. Question is: why? Could it be corner cutting or concentration on text based documents?

Jump Drives:

The purpose is to create zip photo files and copy them onto another hard drive.

I'll be using my Photosmart 6520 to scan a thousand files+/- from scrapbooks/albums. It is no longer on my network and now in a separate room.

I bought a new Lexar 64gb m45 jump drive, here with an encryption. I wrote my password on paper, saved it, and used it to log in the first time. The device rejected it-multiple times. I am abandoning it, since there doesn't seem to be a resolution. Moving on to other drives, but what?

Best Flash Drives of 2023 gives me a starting point. If use this only for file transfer and it never leaves my home, I don't see the need for encryption, but I'm sure some would disagree.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Good questions.

I don't know why some models of a given vendor product will scan better than others.  I have seen it and if you have two, like you do, you just choose which you think does a better job.

I have two Epson all-in-one and the older model scans better than the newer model.

I'm not sure what you mean by;  zip photo files ?

So I take it your intention is to use the HP all-in-one as a standalone and scan directly to USB Media with no editing?

I have digitized photos.  It is not an easy task and quite time consuming.  I have found that scanning to a PC is best such that you can give a photo a name and group like photos together in folders (events, family groups, etc).  A folder full of numerically incremented named files is hard to deal with afterwards.  By scanning to the PC you can also crop, lighten, darken and sharpen a given scanned photo.  In my case I put the all-in-one on a cart on WiFi so I could bring it close for processing or move it away as needed.

These scanned PC photos can then be included in your Data Backup regimen.

What I found difficult was taking old family photos and knowing who they are.  Working with a family member helped with identification.

I don't see encrypting the Photos unless the scrapbooks/albums were originally kept in a safe.

• Like 1

Thank you @David H. Lipman. it looks like manufacturing has moved away from photo scanning across the board.

15 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

So I take it your intention is to use the HP all-in-one as a standalone and scan directly to USB Media with no editing?

No, I wanted to scan to a PC for naming/dating, color, cropping tweaks. Then after that use the drive to transfer onto the PC in another room. Ideally, I would like to have the old HP on WiFi, but I wiped the settings and you'd have to help me set it up.

I'm fuzzy on the process and if the WiFi would actually "detect it" through a wall. I could carry it into the same room to set up, then carry it back, because there's more room and table space elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

These scanned PC photos can then be included in your Data Backup regimen.

Yes, that's the goal. So it looks like two choices for me: networking the scanner/printer or getting a reliable portable, low cost drive. Still paying down my debt for the PC, monitor and printer.

Identification is a sticking point, family is invaluable and a true resource. One I don't have.

The encryption was not meant exclusively for the photos, I wanted to upgrade my drive, since the current one is undetectable at least 50% of the time when plugged in. It's old and very well used.

Please start by reviewing;   Additional Printer Not Recognized by Network

See if it jogs your memory and if you can do it by yourself.  We can pick-up on the foggy areas later.

You did clear out some attachments so they are no longer available but they were mostly of your Router and you can access it again.

• Like 1

winner_first.gif.af5519750d8a5055896a8b9f943c2ee4.gif

Yes.

You don't want to go to another room every time you want to put a new photo on the glass.  You'll want to setup a good physical work flow so you can easily, and comfortably, move from scanner glass to PC software repetitively.

YW @NewTricks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

You'll want to setup a good physical work flow so you can easily, and comfortably, move from scanner glass to PC software repetitively.

Yes, without tripping and breaking another toe or two running from room to room. I am the queen of Feng Shui

Wow, this is a life changer-hopefully many lives into the future.

Edited by NewTricks
  • Like 1