Malware blocked when doing a google search

Go to solution Solved by jbear0000,

Every time I do a google search I get a notification that malware was blocked which stays there for about 5 seconds. When I check browser guard to see what it is blocking it says that it is the prodfliying virus. This is on Google, is Google infected? Am I getting a false positive? Either way can I just turn the notification off and have it block things silently? I don't need a notification ever single time it blocks something.

3 minutes ago, jbear0000 said:

is Google infected?

While you are waiting for the next qualified/approved malware removal expert helper to weigh in on your topic, and even though you may have run the following Malwarebytes utility, or its subsets, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  3. In the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  4. Run the MBST Support Tool.
  5. In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  6. In the Advanced Options, click only Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your computer.
  7. A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please attach that file in your next reply to this topic. Please do NOT copy and paste.

For the short time between when you post the diagnostic logs, and when your helper weighs in, please take no further self-directed remedial actions that will invalidate the diagnostic logs you will have sent.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @jbear0000 and :welcome:

Please follow the directions from the following topic for a more extensive article on cleaning Google Chrome

Resetting Google Chrome to clear unexpected issues

Thank you

I have 2 computers that are both having this same issue. They were fine for a very long time until just a few days ago, I'm assuming an update to the Malwarebytes extension and I'm not the only one with this issue, the Chrome store reviews have a bunch of people complaining about it. I'm not resetting Chrome and jumping through all of those hoops just because Malwarebytes doesn't have a way to turn off the annoying notification I get every time I use Google. Instead I'll just stop using the Malwarebytes browser extension and find something else. Thank you for answering my question, but this extension isn't worth that level of hassle.

56 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @jbear0000 and :welcome:

Please follow the directions from the following topic for a more extensive article on cleaning Google Chrome

Resetting Google Chrome to clear unexpected issues

Thank you

The first image that says "Malware blocked" is the pop-up I get every single time I do a Google search.

The second image is what it says it is blocking.

lbTHhTj.png.d559eff98d524834dcc64b107988d37a.pngwasdadfw.png.07c2a3be0b31bbcdf27f69e0d1c070b7.png

• Root Admin

Notice the site in Red.  Prodflying.com that is what is being blocked not Google itself.

Here is my image when on Google doing a search

image.png

You can manually look through your Search Settings and Cache in Google and see if you can find and remove just that entry and that should stop the blocking alerts.

• Root Admin

If you can get me the logs from Browser Guard perhaps it may show the specific item location causing it. @jbear0000

To do so:

Open Browser Guard
    On the top right, click the 3 vertical dots
    Click "Support"
    Click "Download Debug Logs"

You can download the log from the Support page

image.png

image.png

Here is an example of the log naming to look for when uploading.

BG-Logs_v2.6.0_2023-04-17_135159.txt

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If you can get me the logs from Browser Guard perhaps it may show the specific item location causing it. @jbear0000

To do so:

Open Browser Guard
    On the top right, click the 3 vertical dots
    Click "Support"
    Click "Download Debug Logs"

You can download the log from the Support page

image.png

image.png

Here is an example of the log naming to look for when uploading.

BG-Logs_v2.6.0_2023-04-17_135159.txt

Here is my log, there is a lot in there

efd8556c-29ac-4d39-9cd7-e1a21bc34abc.txt

• Root Admin

The site is being blocked, not Google Search. Is it actually preventing you from doing a search?

It shows in the logs like it may have popped up while you were watching a YouTube video possibly

https://prodfliying.com/

I have asked the Research Team to review and see if this block is still valid or not.

Thanks again @jbear0000

5 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The site is being blocked, not Google Search. Is it actually preventing you from doing a search?

It shows in the logs like it may have popped up while you were watching a YouTube video possibly

https://prodfliying.com/

I have asked the Research Team to review and see if this block is still valid or not.

Thanks again @jbear0000

It doesn't prevent Google searches. It just gives me the notification that it blocked Malware ever single time I do a Google search. I haven't see it pop up when on Youtube at all.

• Root Admin

Perhaps it simply showed up after a session on YouTube so it looked like that.

Well, the block is valid. It has a javascript on that site that is a threat. Malwarebytes Browser Guard is doing it's correct job in blocking that site.

Even Windows Defender kicked in and deleted the JavaScript file I downloaded on purpose to test.

There is not enough information available to tell me which extension, or setting in Chrome is causing this.

If you use another browser like Firefox and do a Google Search I'm pretty sure you will not get this same block even with MBG installed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ceckelberry said:

Like @AdvancedSetup said this is a valid block. I'm curious that it shows up on Google searches and I'm not able to reproduce.

Do you use any other extensions? Perhaps one of them was hijacked and is injecting malicious JS into your Google searches.

I have a bunch of extensions. It must be one of them causing problems. Although oddly enough none of them are specifically for Google so I don't know why I just have the issue there when doing a search.

• Solution
17 minutes ago, ceckelberry said:

My suspicion is that there an infected extension trying to inject something on your google searches, so you click it thinking it's legit.

I went through my extensions and found it was an outdated one that had been removed from the Chrome store and I already had a new extension that did the same thing. Removing that extension solved my issue.