Android Ransomware Notifications

Hey! I was just hoping to get some clarifications here.

I recently downloaded Tachiyomi on my tablet and received a notification much like the one in this post 

Is this an automated thing for any app that is downloaded outside of the normal channels (Google Play store, galaxy store, whatever) and I should just disregard in the case of an app that is "known" to be safe?

I've also ran a full scan after installing the app and nothing seems to be out of place.

I believe Tachiyomi is a fairly popular and safe app but I'm not trying to take any chances, many thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, modfolder said:

Is this an automated thing for any app that is downloaded outside of the normal channels (Google Play store, galaxy store, whatever) and I should just disregard in the case of an app that is "known" to be safe?

Yes.

1 hour ago, modfolder said:

but I'm not trying to take any chances

Loading anything from outside sources is always taking a chance.

Hi @modfolder,

This warning is from our advanced ransomware scanner.  Apps that have elevated privileges and that have been installed using side loading (anything installed outside of Google Play) are flagged as potential ransomware.

Installation from outside the Play Store plus elevated privileges are big red flags. Therefore, we warn our customers that a suspicious app was installed that displays ransomware like properties. It’s up to the user to ignore our warnings or not.

Ransomware is particularity dangerous, and this warning gives users the ability to cut it off before it’s too late.

Thanks for reaching out,