windows 11 taskbar blank on boot

Every once in awhile when I turn my pc on and login( I will know this is happening because on login it will take a minute to login instead of seconds),  the taskbar will be completely white and I can't interact with it, opening task manager and killing explorer.exe and restarting it doesn't help, I have to use control alt delete to get to menu that pops up to hit restart(which itself takes a few minutes instead of seconds).

I have been trying to figure this out for months, I have even gone so far as to completely format the machine and start from scratch but it keeps happening. I even found an article about it and followed the steps involved there but that didn't help.

No open shell or explorer patcher for example?

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Just now, Porthos said:

What graphics card do you have and are the drivers up to date?

geforce 3060 ti

and no they are behind by an update or two, I don't like to always grab the latest drivers due to being burned in the past, I generally like to wait a couple weeks before an update.

The only thing that really caught my eye is this error. That is basically the taskbar.

Error: (03/31/2023 08:36:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The program explorer.exe version 10.0.22621.1344 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Just now, Porthos said:

The only thing that really caught my eye is this error. That is basically the taskbar.

Error: (03/31/2023 08:36:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (EventID: 1002) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The program explorer.exe version 10.0.22621.1344 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

yeah, killing the process and restarting it does nothing, the bar either stays white or vanishes and doesn't come back, I then have to reboot the computer from the control alt delete menu. the computer then takes about 3 minutes or so to actually restart( it sits on the words restarting those 3 minutes).

Its a weird issue, I haven't been able to solve for like 8 months now, as I said I have even gone so far as to format the whole machine and it came back up again randomly.

Just now, Porthos said:

Well, that answers that question. It is not a resume from sleep issue.

Is the bios and other drivers besides the video up to date?

As far as I know they are, I know the bios is up to date, I periodically check that and the last update was in september, which I installed.  I can't recall if I grabbed the latest drivers for the other stuff though I am pretty sure I did.

Just now, Porthos said:

I will ask @AdvancedSetup if he can give you a basic Windows repair script to run. Might be a couple of days.

that's fine, I have checked the windows image for errors, I forget what the command is called exactly but it came back with a clean bill of health.

on an unrelated note, I have noticed that when I click the system tray pop up( to bring up the wifi,bluetooth and volume control) that its greyed out for a few seconds then comes up normally, that only happens the first time I click the button after the computer is turned on though, and that's only started in last month and a bit so I think that's caused by a windows update of some sort.

• Root Admin

Hello @fivealive

Are you actually using Microsoft OneDrive ?

If you're not using it then I would suggest that you uninstall it from the Control Panel

[ 1 ]

Your current DNS Servers: 64.71.255.204 - 64.71.255.198

Please consider changing your default DNS server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

Pick just one of these 4 providers. And be aware that you need to modify 1 time for IPv4 & a 2nd pass for IPv6

• Google Public DNSIPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • CloudflareIPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNSIPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCHIPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

[ 2 ]

Please run the following fix

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

• NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRSTEnglish.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\jay21\Downloads\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTEnglish.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed in most, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

3 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @fivealive

Are you actually using Microsoft OneDrive ?

If you're not using it then I would suggest that you uninstall it from the Control Panel

[ 1 ]

Your current DNS Servers: 64.71.255.204 - 64.71.255.198

Please consider changing your default DNS server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

Pick just one of these 4 providers. And be aware that you need to modify 1 time for IPv4 & a 2nd pass for IPv6

• Google Public DNSIPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • CloudflareIPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNSIPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCHIPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

[ 2 ]

Please run the following fix

NOTE: Please read all of the information below before running this fix.

• NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine.
  • Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program:   FRSTEnglish.exe

Save the attached file:  FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\jay21\Downloads\

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTEnglish.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log on your next reply.

1. NOTE:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity.
  2. NOTE: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications may be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed in most, but not all cases.
  3. NOTE: As part of this fix, it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txtUnavailable

Thanks

I do not use onedrive, I have actually uninstalled it a few times, Microsoft seems to like to reinstall it.

as for dns I have never changed it, the default is what ever my isp provided, I can't actually download your fix, it says its unavailable.

• Root Admin

Thank you that looks pretty good. It was able to clean up quite a few temporary files.

Please run the following now @fivealive

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

discord says its up to date, can't find a new update.

windows updates found nothing new but a definition update for defender.

as for the issue I came for it hasn't happened yet again, but that doesn't mean much it seems to randomly happen and no idea what causes it, if it happens again, I am willing to come back and say so.

• Root Admin

No problem about the Discord. The script that checks for updates might be off on it's version check.

From an elevated admin command prompt you can also perform program updates that it knows of using this command.

winget upgrade --all

There is also this program that is pretty slick too

Patch My PC Home Updater
https://patchmypc.com/home-updater

Hopefully your issue is corrected now though.

I'll be away most of the day tomorrow

Take care