Device with suspicious app.

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello.

I have been running through some issues these past days and I cannot tell if malware is involved or something else.

In order:

Network issues that cause all connected devices to experience some form of lag or delay.

I have not been able to make purchases using paypal including buying Malwarebytes for Android.

Pc starts restarting with a BSOD telling me about some error regarding nvlddmkm.sys.

Today I get a message from google telling me about a Device with suspicious app trying to access my account when I try to log in using as usual and my firewall log is full of hundreds, and in one instance, thousands of FW.WANATTACK drops.

I am running a full scan of malwarebytes for windows, including a search for rootkits but nothing was found.

Any suggestions?

Hello :welcome: @BigArachnotron

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

NOTE about 

Today I get a message from google telling me about a Device with suspicious app trying to access my account when I try to log in using as usual and my firewall log is full of hundreds, and in one instance, thousands of FW.WANATTACK drops.

IF that was from some kind of Email, then I would like you to send a copy of that to me by Personal Message. If that is a display on a browser, that is most likely a SCAM.

Please do not go digging thru logs on your own, like the "firewall log" !  We run checks with known & trusted security tools in order to look for possible malware. You have already advised me a full scan with Malwarebytes found no malware !

I would like a report set for review. This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

Have much patience. I will guide you. Also, know I am a volunteer, plus I am not on all the time.

Hello Maurice.

I have uploaded the results as requested.

I hope you can tell me if there is something iffy going on.

I need to add that my internet when in and off as I was uploading these files, but the support tool was active.

Can the support tool interrupt the internet connection or anything like that or that is something else entirely?

Thank you for your assistance, I will be awaiting your response.

Best Regards.

mbst-grab-results.zip

The support-tool would not have adversely affected the internet connection. I use known security tools and reports to look for malware.
What I see from these reports is that there is a restriction on Windows Update here that should not be there.
That there are system policy restrictions on Windows that should not be here.
That the Windows System Restore service is not on. These latter things will be corrected by the custom-script-fix listed below this, in this post.
Please have lots of patience. We will need to do several security scans later on.

Please set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones. Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide
( 2 )

We will be doing several different tasks. Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. Please Close all open work.

Once AFTER the script-run has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program :  is FRSTENGLISH.exe  The tool is there already on Downloads. We will use it to run a custom-script.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\BlueHarvest\Downloads

Fixlist.txt < - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Use File Explorer to go to the Downloads folder

RIGHT-Click on   FRSTENGLISH and select

RUN as Administrator

and reply YES to allow it to go forward to start.

That is important so that this run has Elevated Administrator rights !!

NEXT press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will reset the Winsock. It will attempt to clear all Cache and history on web browsers. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 40-50 minutes or more.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.  👈

Have much patience. After this here, we will need to do several scans to keep checking this Windows 10 system pc.

• Like 1

Hello. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. But, Yes, the custom-script run is good. 

This is for a scan with ESET Onlinescanner (free). ESET is a well-respected, well-known entity and tool.

This here you can start & once it is under way, you can leave the machine alone & let it run over-night. No need to keep watch once it starts the actual scan run.

Next, This will be a check with ESET Onlinescanner for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on CUSTOM scan  and select C drive to be scanned
  • Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"
  • and click on Start scan button.

Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be. That is, once it is under way, you should leave it running. It will run for several hours.

• At screen "Detections occurred and resolved" click on blue button "View detected results"
  • On next screen, at lower left, click on blue "Save scan log"
  • View where file is to be saved. Provide a meaningful name for the "File name:"
  • On last screen, set to Off (left) the option for Periodic scanning
  • Click "save and continue"
  • Please attach the report file so I can review

Hi. That scan found no virus; no malware. Bravo 😉

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it
guide & download link

Then be sure to close all web browsers after the download & before launching the tool.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

Guide article

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed.

• Solution

Alright. Now a different scan with another security scanner. 

This with Kaspersky KVRT tool.

Download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (KVRT) from here: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool and save to your Desktop.

Next, Select the Windows Key and R Key together, the "Run" box should open.

user posted image

Drag and Drop KVRT.exe into the Run Box.

user posted image

C:\Users\blueharvest\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe will now show in the run box.

user posted image

add
-dontencrypt

Note the space between KVRT.exe and -dontencrypt

C:\Users\blueharvest\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe -dontencrypt 

should now show in the Run box.

user posted image

That addendum to the run command is very important.

To start the scan select OK in the "Run" box.

The Windows Protected your PC window "may" open, IF SO then select "More Info"

user posted image

A new Window will open, select "Run anyway"

user posted image

A EULA window will open, tick both confirmation boxes then select "Accept"

user posted image

In the new window select "Change Parameters"

user posted image

• In the new window ensure the following boxes are ticked:
    • System memory
    • Startup objects
    • Boot sectors
    • System drive
  • Then select "OK" and „Start scan“.

The Kaspersky tool is very thorough so will take a considerable time to complete, please allow it to finish. Also while Kaspersky runs do not use your PC for anything else..

• completed: If entries are found, there will be options to choose. If "Cure" is offered, leave as it is. For any other options change to "Delete", then select "Continue".
  • Usually, your system needs a reboot to finish the removal process.
  • Logfiles can be found on your systemdrive (usually C: ), similar like this:

Reports are saved here C:\KVRT_data\Reports and look similar to this report_20230325_103000.klr

• Right click direct onto those reports, select > open with > Notepad.
  • Save the files and attach them with your next reply

Hello Maurice.

This time it did find an item, but it was a zip file from a book I purchased years ago about malware, these are nothing but samples from PAKT / O'Reilly Education, and the file has resided in my backup drive for a long time now so I would not attribute this recent event to this file.

That said you will find the scan log attached to this file.

I will be awaiting further instructions, thank you again for your help.

Best regards.

report_2023.03.25_18.01.53.txt

So, tell me, did you get back the zip file for the book ? Let me know.
Just as a overall recap, so far, we have done 1 custom-script run, a scan with ESET, a scan with Kaspersky, 1 run of Adwcleaner, and you have scanned with Malwarebytes.

Just by the way, the problem

make purchases using paypal

may perhaps be due to a keyboard typo, or, perhaps, a glitch on the web browser in-use at that time.
I simply would like to offer some remarks about Chrome & web browsers & Windows.

As to Chrome, insure it is the latest release from Chrome
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?On some periodic basis, suggest to delete all Cache content on Chrome for "all time" period. That will help keep Chrome running more snappy.
open Chrome.
At the top right, click More .
Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
Choose the time range All time.
Select the types of information that you want to remove.
Click Clear data.

By the way, the same principle applies to the Edge browser in Windows 11 / 10. Clearing all cache helps.

I would urge you to look at and use this Microsoft guide article
https://bit.ly/3yW1jrZ

• for the section titled "Clear browsing data stored on your computer"
  • What needs to be selected to be Cleared are
  • Browsing history
  • Download history
  • Cached images and files
  • WHEN you get to the part about "Time Range" we must pick the one "For ALL Time"
  • That is from the drop-down menu
  • Be sure to do that.
  • Then, there is another section to do. Do the one for "Clear browsing data stored in the cloud"
  • Once you have done all this, do an EXIT out of Edge.

Hello Maurice.

The zip file was not quarantined, and it was left as usual. I intend to go back to it as soon as I finish other projects as this an interesting subject.

As far as scans, we have gone through MBAM, ADWCleanr, Kaspersky, ESET and one Custom Script through FRST.

Is there anything else I can do?

Once more, I appreicate your help with this matter and thank you.

Kind Regards.

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello. You should advise me as to what it is that you have a problem with.  Just a short list but with detail.  and why you think it may be a actual infection, as opposed to a glitch of some sort.

Hello Maurice.

Initially what happened is that I received an alert from google stating my computer had a suspicious app, a situation that had never happened before, but I am starting to suspect it might had been an issue with a VPN service I was using as even this forum won't allow me to post with my VPN active. I have been working from home, so I need to use a VPN to connect to some services, but I was worried about a possible intrusion.

If you do not think there is anything else to do, then I just want to thank you for time and assistance in this matter.

Is it safe to remove all the scanners we have used thus far now? I have not received another alert since I started this thread.

Once more, thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards.

You may if you wish, run a new scan with Malwarebytes just to re-check.
I do not notice indications of a infection at this time. I believe the machine is good to go.
We have run Kaspersky KVRT
ESET Onlinescanner
Adwcleaner
& a custom-script-fix.
Before I let you go, just one other report to review if important applications are out of date.

( 2 )

Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the next software below 

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here

and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
                         Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

When all done, you may go back to turn ON the EDGE Smartscreen protection.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you