Experian Two Factor Authentication Bypassed Sending Code

NewTricks

Brian Krebs has written extensively about Experian's woes, particularly in the last 3 months.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/01/experian-glitch-exposing-credit-files-lasted-47-days/

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/01/identity-thieves-bypassed-experian-security-to-view-credit-reports/

I was offered ExperianIdentityWorks about 6 months ago as part of a mail breech settlement. I set up two factor which  enabled them to send a one time code. It worked reliably, each time, until today.  Theoretically I know past performance does not indicate future performance.Monzilla clears my history when each tab is closed. My cache is clear. 

Experian's message appeared  "SecureAuth is checking your system for a user credential" and expected to see the send code options. Instead,  the dashboard appeared. 

I rebooted to see if it was an anomaly. It is not.

1. Where would Experian obtain a user credential on my system?

2. Am I naive to believe in the infallibility/consistency of a two factor system? Or does the site administrator matter?

Ideas, suggestions and observations welcome.
thank you,

@NewTricks

Edited by NewTricks
Clarification
  • Like 1

New information on February 15-site now working as it was intended by sending a code for a 2 factor log in. I will answer my own questions. #1. Don't know. #2. Yes.

Here's what I've learned from others' posts with strange JavaScript redirects and whatnot. Things happen. They can be temporary or permanent. Hopefully if it's the former, it won't last too long or cause damage. If it's the latter, assess whether you absolutely NEED that site. If not, kiss it goodbye.

• Like 2