MalWareBytes Premium 4.5.20 Curiosity with Scan Time vs Actual Time

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Thanks for your offer to continue @AdvancedSetup.

In my local disk C there's a file named Users. It contains myself and Public.  No one else ever uses my computer, can I simply delete this/ these?

There is a file called WTablet, it contains Pen_Tablet.dat, a 1KB movie. I no longer have or use tablets. Can that go?

The Program Files folder contains Common Files; in this folder is Apple. I don't use their product with this desktop and deleted all Apple files from the programs and features location. Can this go?

Finally some questions about Malwarebytes automatic scans. After years of having this, never paid much attention to it. At one point, I configured a daily scan schedule but decided (rightly or wrongly) a full scan in the morning hours was interfering with some other things I was doing at the same time. I alternated between a manual threat and full scan daily.

Today I found a nice video by MB which showed me how to configure without having to check certain boxes each time. I normally see the M backlit with a vertical green (progress) line.

Today with the automated scan settings I didn't see that backlit icon, so opened to confirm the scan was running. It was.

1. Does the MB icon appear differently on the taskbar depending on a manual or automated scan?

2. While doing a full scan, should I do, or not do certain things simultaneously?

3. Does any MB scan require an internet connection? For instance, if a sudden power outage occurred while scanning, what's the consequence?

I hope this is not too nit-picky. When people say they are detailed oriented, this is the result.

• Root Admin

No, leave the Public and All Users accounts alone. They have specific required purposes. No harm in cleaning a computer but one can also easily damage the computer and make it non operational too. Considering you cannot download installation media for Windows 7 anymore and it is a bit of an arduous task to reinstall Windows 7 since Microsoft does not provide help with that anymore, I believe it is prudent to err on the side of caution and don't look for too much to clean beyond a certain point.

To remove Tablet Support that too is from the "Turn Windows features on or off" in Control Panel, Programs

Uncheck any items you do not want. Again, be careful what features you remove as they can affect other programs or features that depend on them.

image.png

Example: Personally I'd leave Windows Media Player installed but perhaps remove Windows DVD Maker and Windows Media Center

image.png

For the following folders I would first make sure you uninstall the program that created the folder in the first place. Simply just removing a folder is not they way to clean a computer.

C:\Program Files\Common Files
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

Once you're certain that ALL applications and features have been properly uninstalled and you know that the folder is a left over folder, then you can consider manually removing it, but I'd still check in the folder to see what is left over in case it may make more sense for you as to why the folder remains. Sometimes programs are fully uninstalled, but these folders are left over in case a user reinstalls the software, certain previous settings will be retained.

I do not believe that the MB tray icon makes any changes during manual or scheduled scans. Though it sounds like a great feature request that I will send in, thanks

Full scans should not be done daily, especially if you're using the paid premium version that comes with real-time protection. The chances of malware bypassing real-time protection and also not being detected by a normal fast Threat Scan is extremely unlikely. Running a daily full scan puts an undue additional stress on your hard drive as well. I would only run the daily Threat Scan scheduled. Then maybe once a month do a Full Scan.

Normally with the Threat Scan running you can do other things but the computer will be slower during the scan

You need Internet access to get the latest rules updated, but once the rules are updated you do not need Internet access and it will run and complete.

No problem with asking questions, etc.

Let me know if you need further assistance with the clean up @NewTricks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

47 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No, leave the Public and All Users accounts alone. They have specific required purposes.

50 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Sometimes programs are fully uninstalled, but these folders are left over in case a user reinstalls the software, certain previous settings will be retained.

52 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The chances of malware bypassing real-time protection and also not being detected by a normal fast Threat Scan is extremely unlikely. Running a daily full scan puts an undue additional stress on your hard drive as well.

Excellent points-these address long standing questions I never asked before. Most importantly, the last item. Preservation has been the goal all along. Thanks for illustrating the Turn on/off features. it helps to know exactly why an action is desirable or not. 

When I write my memoir, this chapter will be titled 9 Days in January-How I Kept My Antiquated System Alive. Thanks for the journey @AdvancedSetup, it's been unforgettable.

• Root Admin

You're very welcome @NewTricks and it has been my pleasure to assist you in your learning journey.

I'll add some final wordings and other clean up that for the most part you've already done, but for others that come along and may read your topic it may help as well.

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you