MalWareBytes Premium 4.5.20 Curiosity with Scan Time vs Actual Time

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

• Root Admin

Thank you @NewTricks

[ 1 ]

Are you sure you want this enabled or allowed? Push Notifications on your browser appear to be enabled.

FF Notifications: Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m9ut0700.default-1480516681166-1659381587836 -> hxxps://tmobileiprelay.com

Edge Notifications: Default -> hxxps://www.spectrum.com

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Turn notifications on or off - Google Chrome

Web Push notifications in Firefox

[ 2 ]

Please run the following fix

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST64 from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named (Fixlog.txt)  Please attach it to your next reply.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

@AdvancedSetup thank you for providing the notifications links and the fix file.

Notifications in Firefox and Edge are changed.

The fix file and restart were successful.

5 Questions:

The Farbar site is bookmarked. Because my download folder previously contained files which impacted functionality, can/should I remove Farbar and all associated files from my download folder now?

I allowed HPCommunicator to run on a private network because I use my wireless printer function. Is this reasoning valid?

I allowed Spotify to run on a private network. I have unintentionally configured Spotify to install and open when my computer does. How can I install only when I want the program on my desktop?

Attached is an (optional) update file from Windows. Error code 80070103. The answer I found online was too complex. Can I ignore this?

I have an LG  phone, an Asus Chromebook laptop (on loan) and my desktop. No settings are synced except Google mail. Are the settings on each device limited to that particular device only?

Fixlog.txt failed update.txt

Edited by NewTricks
typo

• Root Admin

Don't delete Farbar just yet. Once we're fully done we'll remove it.

No harm in allowing HP Communicator to run if you so choose to do so

The use of Autoruns from Microsoft is an excellent tool to use for startup items. You simply uncheck the box for items you don't want to load. If you change your mind simply put the check mark back on and reboot.

As for the Video update failure, let me get an actual hardware scan log so that we can verify which video card is in it for sure.

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and right-click and select to to run it with Admin rights.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

Please see if you can also download and install these drivers. The utility may say it's not supported on your system. If it does, no issue, go ahead and delete the download.

Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9/100 Series and Intel® C220/C610 Chipset Family
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17344/intel-usb-3-0-extensible-host-controller-driver-for-intel-8-9-100-series-and-intel-c220-c610-chipset-family.html?wapkw=ntel(R) 6 Series%2FC200 Series Chipset

Intel® Management Engine Driver for Windows 7
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19407/intel-management-engine-driver-for-windows-7.html?wapkw=ntel(R) 6 Series%2FC200 Series Chipset

• Root Admin

You can also try downloading and installing the following. Then run a scan and see if it is able to find any missing or newer drivers.

If it does not find anything go ahead and uninstall the program

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Thanks for all the recommendations and work on this-especially on the weekend.

Intel video driver, Host controller and Management engine driver: "does not meet requirements"

Intel Drive and support assistant downloaded, installed and ran after a restart:

"No Configuration Data

There was no internet available during program startup on January 30, 2023 at 02:07. Please refresh the page to try again." Refreshed and tried multiple times while connected to the forum.

PatchMyPC Updated 2 Visual C++ files

Friday, 1/27 the Malwarebytes clean attempt severed the connection to the program. I'm concerned being without it for days now. Is it time to try again?

• Root Admin

Please go ahead and reinstall Malwarebytes and activate it.

MB4 Offline Installer
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

It looks like you've taken the computer as far as you can for updates at this point.

Let me know if there are any issues installing or updating Malwarebytes

Cheers @NewTricks

Good Monday morning @AdvancedSetup

The installation and scan were trouble free-all is well. Windows 7 Home Premium is cleaned and updated, Malwarebytes is operating as it should. This has been an unforgettable journey for me. Your generosity and guidance made it happen. 

You suggested moving my question about Taking ownership from TrustedInstaller to Malware Removal. I'll revisit that after some time.
Thanks again.

@NewTricks

I'm glad (in theory) is doesn't have to be complicated. I hope that's my reality.

In drive C program files:
DVD Maker, Microsoft Games, PhotoFunStudio, Samsung 

In drive C program files (x86):

Apple Software Update,  Lame for Audacity, SAMSUNG, Spy Bot and Spy Bot 2 (here they are!) Team Viewer

• Root Admin

If you go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features you should be able to uninstall the following

Apple Software Update
LAME v3.99.3 (for Windows)

Do you have or did you ever have a Samsung phone? It looks like there was a driver installed to allow you to connect a Samsung phone to the computer at some point in time

https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/SUABnR-51934-program.aspx

You should be able to open an elevated admin command prompt and run the following command to uninstall it.

MsiExec.exe /I{2485354C-6B65-4978-BB91-CCE61442377B}  

For the others we'll need to do specific searches to do the removals as the programs appear to have been removed and left over the folders and files

• Root Admin

Microsoft Games:  You turned them off by following these steps? Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows Features on or Off - Uncheck the box for Games.

For the PHOTOfunSTUDIO please run the Farbar program again. Then in the top search box type in the following and click the Search Files button. Post back the Search log when done.

SearchAll: PHOTOfunSTUDIO

I see PhotoFunStudio within the Panasonic files. I use those regularly, and if removing this would have the potential for interfering with the program, I'll leave it alone. I thought it was a stand alone program from somewhere else.

My Samsung device is long gone. I cheated and uninstalled SUABnR  from the program list. Doing an elevated admin command prompt makes me hyperventilate.

We'll forget about the DVD maker. Thanks for the tip on unchecking Games.

Search.txt