SlickVPN Client no longer works

KenLinder

I have MalwareBytes Premium 4.5.20
The software updated today
After which MalwareBytes uninstalled my VPN software (SlickVPN) as PUP
I tried to reinstall my SlickVPN client
MalwareBytes deleted the install file having flagged it as PUP
I went and got a new copy of the install file
When I ran the new install file MalwareBytes deleted the install file again and again flagged it as PUP
I told MalwareBytes that the VPN install file was OK
And I reinstalled it

But the VPN still doesn't work.
It did before the software update.
I don't recall asking for MalwareBytes to break my computer's access to the internet as a part of the product.

Everything worked perfectly before the update. Now it doesn't.

I want my old version back.

• Staff
1 minute ago, KenLinder said:

I have MalwareBytes Premium 4.5.20
The software updated today
After which MalwareBytes uninstalled my VPN software (SlickVPN) as PUP
I tried to reinstall my SlickVPN client
MalwareBytes deleted the install file having flagged it as PUP
I went and got a new copy of the install file
When I ran the new install file MalwareBytes deleted the install file again and again flagged it as PUP
I told MalwareBytes that the VPN install file was OK
And I reinstalled it

But the VPN still doesn't work.
It did before the software update.
I don't recall asking for MalwareBytes to break my computer's access to the internet as a part of the product.

Everything worked perfectly before the update. Now it doesn't.

I want my old version back.

Hello- Please collect the logs showing the detection so we can determine the direct issue.

You can find Scan and Protection logs within the Malwarebytes 4 program in the following location

image.png

RTP stands for Real-Time Protection and is where automatic protection operations would normally be logged

image.png

If you click on the View option you should get something similar to the following with other options available.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Long time malwarebytes customer and the same thing has happened to me. Used slickvpn on windows 11 pro and after an update it says that Slickvpn was a PUP and uninstalled it without a dialog. I am able to use OpenVPN with my slickvpn ovpn files still. Is using Slickvpn now an issue?

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If you can get the detection logs I asked for from the previous poster we can get you an answer.

attacslickvpn_export.txt

Here are the log file entries that detail the issue. it says no action by user but it was uninstalled. When I tried to re-install, it never would so i just used OpenVPN instead. Le me know if you need other log files. Also byw, MalwareBytes also complains when I use Tixati for downloading linux iso files. 

Thanks in advance!

nb

1 hour ago, Netbob said:

it says no action by user but it was uninstalled

Check you scheduled scans for auto quarantine.

Slick VPN is detected by many vendors including Microsoft and might not be a false positive.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/bee3857e2f3aee3be4223dee93e5ed0c568460c1ab41a823b388c73a6a23d2fd?nocache=1

image.png.5687cda4dc2fc173fd0d66ad73402d60.png

1 hour ago, Netbob said:

I use Tixati for downloading linux iso files. 

As for Tixati, I suspect web protection is blocking the connections since it is a P2P program.

As for why Malwarebytes blocks Torrent based software, this is because Torrent based software, are what are known as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications meaning it connects to many different servers/IP addresses (this is how files are downloaded through Torrent based software) and because of this, sometimes Torrent based software will connect to a server that is also known for hosting malicious content.  This is because servers/IP addresses are often shared by multiple sites, so while what you are downloading through Torrent based software may be perfectly safe, some of the sites hosted on some of the IP addresses that Torrent based software connects to may be malicious.  Such connections are not a threat however, and you may exclude Torrent based software from the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes to stop the blocks from happening without compromising your protection (your web browser and other critical web facing programs will still be fully protected from malicious websites and other malicious content).  To do so, add your Torrent based software.exe to your exclusions using the method described under the Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet section of this support article.

Allow an application to connect to the Internet

To prevent Malwarebytes for Windows from blocking an application you trust, add the application executable.

1. Click Allow an application to connect to the Internet.
  2. To find the application, click Browse.
  3. Select the application executable you want to add, then click Open.
  4. Click Done to confirm your changes.

Edited by Porthos