Recent scamware not recognized by Malwarebytes

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

For the past month or so, I get a pop-up allegedly from Norton (I don't even have Norton on my PC) that warns me I've been infected by a Trojan, and to immediately click on the provided link so Norton can "fix" it.  It encompasses my entire screen; no way to close it, etc. I have to either shut down my machine completely or use Task Manager to shut down Chrome.  I then get two or three more smaller pop-ups warning me I'm infected.  I was able to copy one of the links: 

https://allreqdusa.com/83QlcgpL3ZMqT-NAjOtwQ2MxTr6XypLJtLj3Ye--Rmc/?cid=167397163710005TUSTV411806584094Vb7&pubid=5301391-4196041389-0

I do a scan every other day, and Malwarebytes has not picked up on this as a threat.  

I don't click on any link, so the scumbags can't infect me, but it's annoying, and I thought Malwarebytes was supposed to eliminate these type of scams/threats.  Is there  any way to get rid of this? 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled live hyperlink

Hello @Piscatory and welcome back:

While you are waiting for the next qualified/approved malware removal expert helper to weigh in on your topic, and even though you may have run the following Malwarebytes utility, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  3. In the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  4. Run the MBST Support Tool.
  5. In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  6. In the Advanced Options, click only Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your computer.
  7. A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file in your next reply to this topic.

For the short time between when you post the diagnostic logs, and when your helper weighs in, please take no further self-directed remedial actions that will invalidate the diagnostic logs you will have sent.

Thank you.

Hello @Piscatory
You mention a rogue-scam window-display ( you mention it is full screen).
If that type of scam-display happens again, here is what to do.
Press and hold the ALT-key on keyboard & then tap the F4-function key on the keyboard.
This will force a Close of the windows on the foreground. ALT +F4 is the Windows keyboard sequence to Close window process that is on the forefront of display.

Understand that this sort of scam window is just a scam window-display. They have no actual "infection".

These here are the next steps ( after doing the ones above) if your PC has the Google CHROME browser.

Using just the Chrome browser, signin to your Google account ( if not signed in already)  https://chrome.google.com/
Then go to https://chrome.google.com/sync?
Scroll down the page, press the "CLEAR DATA" button, to clear the Chrome data from your Google account.

[   2   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[   3   ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

image.png.9f59b1a99e5e32db2619eeab22b5a72f.png

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[   4   ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[   5   ]

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

Edited by Maurice Naggar