Frustrating false positives with Golang development

McSquizzy

Hi there,

As of a few days ago, any Golang development I do on my Windows 10 machine, produces false positives. Even a simple 'fmt.Println("Hello")' program is detected as 'Malware.AI' (https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/detections/malware-ai)

The Golang compiler uses 'AppData/Temp/...' folder to produce the intermediary executable files when one runs 'go run .' for example: 'C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\go-build4255328026\b001\exe\myapp.exe'.

When the detection notification is raised, I choose to restore the file but when executing 'go run .' again, a new subfolder is produced and the false positive triggers again - for example: 'C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\go-build5985328026\b001\exe\myapp.exe'.

Obviously it's not viable to just exclude/allow the entire 'C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp' folder otherwise legitimate detections may slip through.

What can I do to prevent MalwareBytes from being an obstacle for my Golang development?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Additional information:

Malwarebytes version: 4.5.19.229 / Update package version: 1.0.64591 / Component package version: 1.0.1860

Golang version: 1.19.3

I've reproduced the issue as simply as possible. The log files are attached.

Steps to reproduce, assuming the development path is: C:\dev\go ->

cd C:\dev\go

mkdir mwbytes_sample

cd mwbytes_sample

go mod init mwbytes_sample

vim main.go

Then create the simple 'Hello World!' program in a file named 'main.go' as per the attached file 'main.txt' (files with the .go extension aren't accepted for upload):

main.txt

Finally, do: 'go run .' ... immediately the notification pops up for me informing me that the file has been quarantined.

mwbytes_golang_trace_log.txt mwbytes_golang_log.txt