I am not able to uninstall Malwarebytes 4 anymore.

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

I wanted to uninstall Malwarebytes 4.x and install Version 5.

The support tool is not able to uninstall Version 4 from my pc - i don´t know what happend.

mbst-clean-results_alt.txt

After the uninstall, the Malwarebytes Service is still running.

image.png.d7765bb0cfa76aa8336b9279ceb6338c.png

I did reinstall Malwarebytes Version 4 and try uninstalling using the support tool - same happend again.

mbst-clean-results2.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I had something similar recently on a laptop I'm refurbishing.

I had to 'End Task' on the Malwarebytes Service in Task Manager before the Support Tool could then fully uninstall it.

• Thanks 1

After the last restart there is no Malwarebytes Service running anymore.

But the Malwarebytes icon is still there

image.png.cf8f4df27cc342b548cca12fdae58518.png

and the support tool is still not able to uninstall the Malwarebytes stuff...

image.png.b570a65c61997941b31b02168ff4a957.png

and I get the error above.

• Root Admin

Please get me the following new logs after you've restarted the computer.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

A couple hours ago I did delete all Malwarebytes folders and after that, ran the support tool: no Malwarebytes Application found.

I still wonder, if something is wrong. I never ever had this kind of problem before in all those years.

And I wonder if I missed something to deinstall.

Here are the logs.

FRST.txt Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Please run the following clean up script. I will clean up temp files, force remove anything from a previous installation of Malwarebytes it finds and do some other system checks.

Please run the following fix

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program location:   C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\EnglishFRST64.exe

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\
NOTE. It's important that both files, C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\EnglishFRST64.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights.   C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\EnglishFRST64.exe  Then click the FIX and let the process run.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named (Fixlog.txt) in the folder C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\   Please attach that log on your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Once the fix has been completed, please download and run the following installer and let me know if there are any issues installing now.

MB4 Offline Installer
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

Thanks

All went well - that´s what I thought.

If I register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center,

Defender is still on.

image.thumb.png.ef3a8f9df57c920da4e570f40d8ce466.png

In the Task Manager Defender is still activ.

image.png.a296781a4b4e6559903fbcc46911d923.png

A restart has not changed anything.

If I remove the registration of Malwarebytes in the Sec. Center - everything looks the way it was before

(like normal).

image.thumb.png.4d2feb54eb6d720f57f62f0c485e70dc.png

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FetzBox22 said:

If I register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center,

Defender is still on.

image.thumb.png.ef3a8f9df57c920da4e570f40d8ce466.png

In the Task Manager Defender is still activ.

image.png.a296781a4b4e6559903fbcc46911d923.png

That is normal. Windows Defender is either fully on, or as a supportive application. It is never fully disabled unless tweaked to do so which I would recommend against doing so.

[ 1 ]

Your DNS Servers: 192.168.178.1

Please consider changing your default DNS Server settings. Please choose one provider only

DNS is what lets users connect to websites using domain names instead of IP addresses

• Google Public DNS: IPv4   8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   IPv6   2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844
  • Cloudflare: IPv4   1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1   IPv6   2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
  • OpenDNS: IPv4   208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  IPv6  2620:119:35::35 and 2620:119:53::53
  • DNSWATCH: IPv4   84.200.69.80 and 84.200.70.40   IPv6  2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b

The Ultimate Guide to Changing Your DNS Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

Here is a YouTube video on Changing DNS settings if needed

[ 2 ]

The system is having multiple faults on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology which could be the cause or result of why MB takes longer to finish loading up.

Please look at reinstalling the Intel drivers for your system. They're very specific to versions so check with your computer vendor first for the correct drivers.

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2102 10/28/2014
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H87M-PRO

Application errors:
==================
Error: (01/08/2023 05:42:43 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: IAStorUI.exe, version: 14.5.0.1081, time stamp: 0x556ecc4a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2364, time stamp: 0xea5711f3
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e7073
Faulting process id: 0xe48
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9238039114243
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 93d698fe-e951-4048-bae7-d5cb46db2675
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error: (01/08/2023 05:36:21 PM) (Source: .NET Runtime) (EventID: 1026) (User: )
Description: Anwendung: IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
Ausnahmeinformationen: System.AccessViolationException
   bei <Module>.IsiGetSystemInfo(_ISI_SystemInfo*)
   bei PsiData.PsiDataSource.GetSystemInfo(System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<Int32,System.Object>, System.Collections.Generic.List`1<PsiData.PsiError>)
   bei PsiData.PsiDataSource.Load(System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<Int32,System.Object> ByRef, Boolean)
   bei PSI.PsiSystemDataModel.LoadDriverData(Int32)
   bei PSI.PsiSystemDataModel.CreateStaticDataModel()
   bei PSI.PsiSystemDataModel..cctor()

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.TypeInitializationException
   bei PSI.PsiSystemDataModel.Connect()
   bei PSIClient.PsiClient.Init()
   bei IAStorUtil.SystemDataModelListener..ctor()
   bei IAStorDataMgr.EventRelay.<Start>b__0(System.Object)
   bei System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   bei System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   bei System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/08/2023 05:36:23 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

[ 3 ]

Now that Malwarebytes is reinstalled, please check for updates and run a new Threat Scan and post back that log.

[ 4 ]

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

In my opinion Malwarebytes was not working the way it should. Every time I opend Malwarebytes in the tray icon, it took almost 15 seconds to open and during that time, it said "Real-time Protection disabled".

I decided to do a clean install again, using the support tool...

now I got the same situation I had before: I can not deinstall Malwarebytes anymore.

I attached all the logs I could find.

Mabye there is something that was missed in the first run?

Addition.txt FRST.txt SecurityCheck.txt mbst-grab-results.zip mbst-clean-results1.txt

Edited by FetzBox22

• Root Admin

The Clean shows several failures. Normally these failures are corrected later on in the process.

The 15 seconds can be normal especially if you're on VPN as the system has to connect to our servers and initiate a check in. In the next version of the software I think they're going to be looking at another way to do that.

For now though there is something abnormal about your system having issues uninstalling Malwarebytes. I see a handful of systems do it but after a little bit of cleaning that stops. In your case it seems to continue on.

Let's do one more clean up and then have you do an in-place Windows update.

Please deactivate Malwarebytes. Then uninstall it and restart the computer.

Then run the following fix.

As before, please run the following fix.

Please run the following fix

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program location:   C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\EnglishFRST64.exe

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the following folder:  C:\Users\ichli\Downloads
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights C:\Users\ichli\Downloads\EnglishFRST64.exe  and click on the FIX button and wait for it to complete.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Once the above fix has been completed please our our MBST tool to do the following REPAIR.  Make sure you close all other open programs and temporarily disable Windows Defender real-time protection.

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, place a checkmark on all of the Repair System entries.
  • Then click on the Repair System button and allow it to run and restart the system.

image.png

After the restart please do the following

• Run the MBST Support Tool one more time.
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the All Users' desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

image.png

DO NOT attempt to reinstall any Malwarebytes programs at this time. Post back the logs to let me look at them first.

• Root Admin

DO NOT do this now, but once we're finished with this portion and in agreement to move forward,  I'd like you to run the following.

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

9 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please deactivate Malwarebytes. Then uninstall it and restart the computer.

I don´t know how to uninstall Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes is not running in the background anymore.

It´s not in the list of applications,

image.png.8611dca769c483d4dd5e0b1ac1a1d1a1.png

if I use

image.png.bdafdb3c93fbb53cba7409b6c904be28.png

I get an error:

image.png.2d949a4f5989f2b3bf8236ec6c807ae6.png

If I use the Malwarebytes Support Tool to clean it - the tool runs but nothing happens.

I could delete the Malwarebytes folder??

• Root Admin

Thank you for logs.

Please run the following for me.

Please download the following tool

Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/

Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

Click "Scan"

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please attach the log to your next reply.

• Root Admin

Please save the following FIXLIST.TXT file to the same location as the Farbar program.

Then run the Farbar program with Admin rights and click on the FIX button.

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the new FIXLOG.TXT file to your next reply.

fixlist.txt

Thanks