Privacy and Cox.net Email SMTP Issue on Cox Gigablast internet service.

gadget-x

Wondering if anyone else has this issue.  I called Cox and their solution was to turn of Privacy.  Feeling quite like a yoyo.  

2020 iMac Intel I9 10-core

MacOS Ventura 13.0.1

Privacy works with other system software but the SMTP part of Mac Mail.  Seems that VPN creates a condition of Spam mailer using the cox internet.

Thoughts?

M

• Staff

Unfortunately, some e-mail providers do not allow sending of e-mail while connected to a VPN, as a means to reduce spam. Cox is one of these.

In the case of Cox, from what I've read, it sounds like they primarily block SMTP connections from non-US locations. If you're using a non-US server in Privacy, try switching to a US server.

If that doesn't work, some servers do their location checks incorrectly and will show all Privacy servers as being located in Europe. Although all of the US servers used by Privacy are actually located in the US, the VPN provider itself is located in Europe. Cox may be doing the lookup incorrectly and is coming up with the provider location rather than the server location.

It's also possible that they also try - with mixed results - to block all VPN connections. I don't know whether this is the case.

If using a US server doesn't work, there's not much we can do, and you may have to disconnect from the VPN in order to send e-mail. I know this is not ideal.