WinXP-32, Malwarebytes 3.5.1.2522, malware signatures

Running Windows XP 32 bits, on a computer that CAN NOT be upgraded (i.e. I'm stuck with what's there).  Downloaded and installed Malwarebytes revision 3.5.1.2522, advertised as the last revision that will run on Windows XP-32.  It seems to run OK but I can not detect if I'm running the latest malware signatures.  How can I be sure I'm running the latest signatures so I can get at least some protection?

A related question... I plan to upgrade to the paid version when the trial expires.  Will I be able to get a paid version that runs on WinXP-32 and will I continue to be able to get the latest signatures?

(Tried sending all this to Malwarebytes Sales but they wouldn't answer me because I don't yet have a paid account... like I said, happy to pay the money if I can get authoritative answers to these questions... seems like I should be able to get answers to pre-sale questions but hopefully I can find them here...)

Thanks...

14 minutes ago, nheric said:

A related question... I plan to upgrade to the paid version when the trial expires.

I personally recommend you save your money and put it towards a new computer. XP is insecure no matter what protection you put on it.

See if you can do the following.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Thanks, Porthos.  As I said I don't have a choice, there is software I need to be able to run that won't run on anything later than XP, so I'm stuck with it.

I do have other computers that run everything from Win7 up thru Win11, and Linux, and Mac... so it's not like I'm stuck with XP for everything, just for this one thing.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry @nheric but Malwarebytes 3 is not supported any longer.

Malwarebytes for Windows version 3 End of Life
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052711853-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-version-3-End-of-Life

Malwarebytes for Windows v3 Product Lifecycle
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/6003466611475-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v3-Product-Lifecycle

You could still run it for scanning at it's current state.

Probably the best thing to do would be to use Macrium Reflect free and make a master image file of the system to an external drive. Then if something were to happen you could restore the system quickly.

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Thanks, @AdvancedSetup.  The WinXP machine is actually a virtual machine (VirtualBox) so taking a backup and restoring from there is easy, just uses up a lot of disk space :-).

I knew MalwareBytes 3 was past EOL but your website still says that malware signatures will be available for a while yet, that's what I was looking for.

My concern is perhaps it may get hit with a virus that takes a long time to become evident, meanwhile doing who-knows-what in the background.

I tried AVG's offering and am now running Avast, which I guess is the same thing (since the latter apparently bought the former).  They also say their WinXP version is past EOL but they claim they'll still make signatures available so we can run their offerings within their limits.

On 11/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, nheric said:

Running Windows XP 32 bits, on a computer that CAN NOT be upgraded (i.e. I'm stuck with what's there).  Downloaded and installed Malwarebytes revision 3.5.1.2522, advertised as the last revision that will run on Windows XP-32.  It seems to run OK but I can not detect if I'm running the latest malware signatures.  How can I be sure I'm running the latest signatures so I can get at least some protection?...

Hi nheric:

I ran both Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1 and Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista) on my old Vista SP2 laptop.  If you go to Settings | About the Update Package version (which is equivalent to the virus definition package) should increase on regular basis if your malware database is updating.  Here's an old screenshot I captured in March 2019.

1875007234_VistaSP2Malwarebytesv3_5_1onLegacyOSs17Mar2019.png.cfc5cb6969b78363cade69f52ab1700e.png

The Malwarebytes version (3.5.1.2522) is the version of the main product/scan engine, while the Component Package version (1.0.365) is basically the version of the real-time protection modules of the trial and Premium editions of Malwarebytes (e.g., this includes Exploit Protection and Web Protection - note that the real-time Ransomware Protection module is not available for Win XP and Vista and will be automatically disabled).  Since Malwarebytes v3.5.1 is a legacy product you will no longer see the version number of the main Malwarebytes version or the Component Package change on the About tab.

Edited by lmacri

• Root Admin

Currently the database rules are updated but again the program is no longer officially supported.

Here is an example of scanning on 11/26/2022 and then again on 11/28/2022 and you can see the database did update. But it can be disabled at any point, so please do not assume that protection on this version will continue to get updates as it may not.

image.png

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 11/26/22
Scan Time: 2:10 PM
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.5.1.2522
Components Version: 1.0.365
Update Package Version: 1.0.28070
License: Premium

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 11/28/22
Scan Time: 11:42 AM
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Update Package Version: 1.0.28086

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Scan Date: 11/28/22

-Software Information-
Update Package Version: 1.0.28086

Hi AdvancedSetup:

I use the latest Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.18 on my Win 10 v21H2 laptop and my current Update Package (malware definitions database) is v1.0.62831, not the v1.0.28086 you showed <above> for the legacy Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1.  Does the  legacy Malwarebytes v3.5.1 use an older Update Package, or does the v3.5.1 product just use a different numbering system for Update Packages because it uses a different scan engine?

794587902_Malwarebytesv4_5_18SettingsAboutUpdatePackageasof28Nov2022.png.9e6327f05207ee7221946743e9778e2c.png

-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2251 * Firefox v107.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.6-1.1.19800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.18.226-1.0.1823 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri