Malwarebytes Service faulting

Not new user, but have begun to get errors. No idea what's triggered them. Premium Trial v4.5.18.226, update 1.0.62689, components 1.0.1823.

(1)  This displayed 1st. Every time I scan, it happens quite quickly - not sure how long it takes. So can't complete.

502236487_Servicestoppedworking.png.d2f2c08498bfb2d8368d99ba756884aa.png

I say 'every time', but current scan's still running after >1h.

(2) Tried to download support tool, and got this.

133040811_Cantdownloadsupporttool.png.7fefc45427b86519af38383856d13f4d.png

(3) Tried to sign up for forums, but system thought 2nd planet from sun was one other than Venus.

(4)  Once I'd signed up, I found support tool in this forum, post 'Having problems with Malwarebytes? Please follow these steps:' (14Nov16). Downloaded v1.8.7.918 successfully.

Is that latest?

(5)  It tried to update, but got this:

1052003073_Installationcancelled.png.8770ff01fedcd78cd99cdecd510e8d89.png

Any help greatly appreciated! 😀

8 minutes ago, AndrewDillon said:

Any help greatly appreciated! 😀

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Turn off Controlled Folder Access. Also Kaspersky can conflict with Malwarebytes.

Also you should alter the install from default when installing Malwarebytes.

C:\MALWARE REMOVAL\INSTALLATION

Program should not be run from there.

Lets use the same support tool and do a clean uninstall and reinstall.

Please close all browsers and programs before running the tool. Right click and quit MB from the system tray also.

Once done it will attempt to reinstall both Malwarebytes and Privacy VPN.

Please say no and close the X button on the top right for Privacy.

Be sure to follow the default install location this time.

image.png.2d13dc723300a8ea28ddf8ff76e5f430.png

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Malwarebytes Service faulting

I don't know what Controlled Folder Access is, but found this: "2.  Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings." Where's Virus & threat protection settings?

1311446609_Virusthreatprotection.thumb.png.f75cf55632736f13164903297fc9df99.png

For all software, I use path C:\[Purpose of software], in which I create at least 2 folders, 'Download' & 'Installation', the 3rd in 'C:\Malware removal' being 'Support tool'. This enables me to

• remember why I have software.
  • find it from its named purpose.
  • avoid downloading duplicates.
  • locate its download file to ascertain its version without opening it.
  • locate its installation folder without needing to know whether it's in Program Files or Program Files (x86).

I've found this method beneficial without drawback, and in 20yrs, it hasn't caused any problem.

As most recent scan completed, and no problem since, I suspect the cause of (1) (2) (5) is a clash with Kaspersky. I'll test that by not making any changes yet.

(4)  1.8.7.918 appears to be support tool's latest version.

That leaves (3) (6) (7). Thanks!

2 minutes ago, AndrewDillon said:

I don't know what Controlled Folder Access is

image.thumb.png.49642bf9b7b9b0fd76b8edfd0054072f.png

3 minutes ago, AndrewDillon said:

I've found this method beneficial without drawback, and in 20yrs, it hasn't caused any problem.

Not good with Malwarebytes.

4 minutes ago, AndrewDillon said:

is a clash with Kaspersky.

Kaspersky and and the trial and premium version of Malwarebytes do not always work well together.

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Please refer to this support article which lists several known applications which conflict with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes currently, which includes Kaspersky.

9 minutes ago, AndrewDillon said:

1.8.7.918 appears to be support tool's latest version.

Yes it is.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, AndrewDillon said:

(6)  Is it not poss to edit topic, so has title? And I was to attach log anyway.

Ne members can not edit anything.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, AndrewDillon said:

(7)  When I went to choose log, it wasn't listed under Desktop, though there.

Possibly related to installing Malwarebytes in a non standard location.