More of the same- MWB,HJT,RR shut themselves down

snafu

I had house guests over the weekend and my friends teen was on the computer quit a bit. Yesterday I got a nag from AVG saying a virus was in a windows restore file. I checked the processes running in task manager and found msa.exe, a.exe and b.exe. I then quarantined then in the recycle bin. I ran AVG and Trend Mirco scans which found little. I already had malwarebytes and HJT installed but they now close themselves shortly after opening. I did some reading and tried RootRepeal but this too closes on its own. The only symptom I have is the occasional nag from AVG regarding the restore file. If one of you have the time to get me healthy again, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. If Combofix is the next step I have attached the log file for review.

Combofix detected rootkit activity twice and restored the win\sy32\eventlog.dll

Best regards

Snafu

log.txt

• Staff

Hi,

This log looks OK again;

* Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /

Then hit enter.

This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.

Then, * Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • In case you already used MBAM previously, please update it before proceeding with the scan. To do this, click the "Update" tab and click the "Check For updates" button.
  • Once the program has loaded and updates were downloaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

The only symptom I have is the occasional nag from AVG regarding the restore file
You mean a file located in the System Restore folder?

If so, Flush your system restore points:

To do this, you have to disable systemrestore and enable it afterwards again.

(note: this will delete all your system restore points and malware that were present in it).

How to disable system restore in XP <= click me for instructions with screenshots

After you disabled System Restore.... Reboot.. and after rebooting, enable it again, so a new systemrestorepoint will be made. A clean one now! :)

miekiemoes - thank you so much for the assistance. I followed your clear instructions . I then uninstalled Malwarebytes and HJT and reinstalled both. This time they stayed open and completed their searches. Log file below. I think I have a clean computer once again. I will remove and make a new restore file when you give me the go ahead.

Best Regards

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41

Database version: 3057

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/29/2009 5:36:30 PM

mbam-log-2009-10-29 (17-36-30).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 101457

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\win32k.sys (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 5:44:56 PM, on 10/29/2009

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet T Series\Bin\HPOstr05.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet T Series\bin\HPOVDX05.EXE

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpoipm07.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaMaint.exe

C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeIn.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sTARTRIGHT] "C:\Program Files\StartRight\StartRight.exe" -go

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [sTARTRIGHT] "C:\Program Files\StartRight\StartRight.exe" -pre

O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to HPOstr05.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP OfficeJet T Series\Bin\HPOstr05.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1162144739959

O16 - DPF: {8BC53B30-32E4-4ED3-BEF9-DB761DB77453} (CInstallLPCtrl Object) - http://u3.sandisk.com/download/apps/LPInstaller.CAB

O16 - DPF: {9732FB42-C321-11D1-836F-00A0C993F125} (mhLabel Class) - http://pcpitstop.com/mhLbl.cab

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll

O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V5 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor5.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe

O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c921a737ef0a7c) (gupdate1c921a737ef0a7c) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaMaint.exe

O23 - Service: LogMeIn - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeIn.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe

O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe

--

End of file - 5566 bytes

• Staff

Hi,

This looks OK again.

Glad I could help. <_<

Please read my Prevention page with lots of info and tips how to prevent this in the future.

And if you want to improve speed/system performance after malware removal, take a look here.

Extra note: Make sure your programs are up to date - because older versions may contain Security Leaks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run the Secunia Software Inspector Scan.

Happy Surfing again!

• 2 weeks later...