Malwarebytes for Mac 4.17 beta

treed

2 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

Establishes Full Disk Access and therefore real-time protection.

Ok, I don't think you understand where my confusion lies. When I installed the program, I was prompted to give it full access, so I did. It did not give me any errors nor say that real-time protection wasn't working. Is that the behavior during the bug or should I have gotten something to tell me that real-time protection wasn't functioning 

No, the bug affects those who had previously installed Malwarebytes and upgraded to Ventura, then were unable to enable real-time protection. There was no "notification", just that when trying to enable real-time protection it disables right away.

It sounds like the beta was the first time you installed Malwarebytes for Mac on your Ventura system. As long as everything appears to be working properly, you should just press on with your day.

6 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

No, the bug affects those who had previously installed Malwarebytes and upgraded to Ventura, then were unable to enable real-time protection. There was no "notification", just that when trying to enable real-time protection it disables right away.

It sounds like the beta was the first time you installed Malwarebytes for Mac on your Ventura system. As long as everything appears to be working properly, you should just press on with your day.

Ahhh okay, I understand now. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, seanchiggins said:

I am installing package named: Malwarebytes-Mac-4.17.8.4831.pkg. I will open a support case.

Sean

BTW, I found my problem. I had downloaded the install package to my desktop which is synced to OneDrive and it failed. Once I move the install package to a non-synced location on my hard drive, the install worked just fine.

I have found this problem with other installations as well. I have not had this problem before, I am wondering if it is a bug in the latest version of Ventura.

• Like 1

That solved my problem as well. I was just getting ready to try booting in safe mode (my wife's Mac, so I had to wait) when I saw this, tried it, and it worked.

Odd. I have three M1 iMacs and one M1 MacBook Air, all of which are configured identically (actually partial clones) and had the problem only with this one.

• Staff
29 minutes ago, seanchiggins said:

BTW, I found my problem. I had downloaded the install package to my desktop which is synced to OneDrive and it failed. Once I move the install package to a non-synced location on my hard drive, the install worked just fine.

Interesting, I wonder why? Sometimes there can be problems with Mac files being synced to Windows servers, due to lost metadata and the like, but a .pkg file should be immune to such things. As you say, it could be a Ventura problem.

Thanks for letting us know!

FYI,  my files are synced via iCloud, not OneDrive, and the install pkg was in my Downloads folder -- not Desktop or Documents. 

There is an iCloud Downloads folder which appears on my iPad and on the web, but I have never bothered to figure out how it works. There are a ton of files there which aren't (any longer, at least) in the Download folders on any of the Macs.

But nevertheless, when I moved the pkg from my Downloads folder to a local folder, the install worked.