Invalid program version ... check for 32 bit or 64 bit versions...

iowaan

Windows 7 service pack one.  

Long time installed and running programs won't open and cause a warning: program version is invalid for this version of windows, check for 32 bit or 64 bit version of windows and contact program manufacturer.  This behavior propagates to other programs over time.

i use Macrium backup and can restore a previous disk image, programs that had the issue will startup ok, but after a few hours or days revert to failing to open. 

i have licensed versions of Malwarebytes and Avira.  Neither detect any issues.  I had MajorGeeks help and they ran me through their detection and removal process, but didn't detect any malware.

This morning Opera failed to open and gave a warning about 16 bit version of launcher.exe.  Looking at the Opera file, i found launcher.exe had been changed a few hours earlier, and also a launcher.exe.old.  i renamed launcher.exe.old to launcher.exe and then was able to open Opera. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Hello  and  :welcome:      @iowaan

My screen name is AdvancedSetup and I will assist you with your system issues.

Let's keep these principles as we proceed. Make sure to read the entire post below first.

• Please follow all steps in the provided order and post back all requested logs
  • Please attach all log files to your post, unless otherwise requested
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus or other security software first. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans have been completed.
  • Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the software below if needed. Make sure to turn it back on once the scans are completed.
  • Searching, detecting, and removing malware isn't instantaneous and there is no guarantee to repair every system.
  • Before we start, please make sure that you have an external backup, not connected to this system, of all private data.
  • Do not run online games while the case is ongoing. Do not do any free-wheeling or risky web-surfing.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to use. Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Cracked, Hacked, or Pirated programs are not only illegal but also can make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryption. It is at times also a big source of current Trojan infections. If there are any on the system you should uninstall them before we proceed.
  • Please be patient and stick with me until I give you the "all clear". We don't want to waste your time, please don't waste ours.
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit it while this case is ongoing.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting. This is a report only.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

If the Support Tool won't run then please download and run the following

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Here is the mbst-grab-results.zip file.

Apparently, restoring the exe file from a backup when the failing program was running restores the function.  This morning i used Vivaldi for a couple hours, but just now it wouldn't open, so i am using Opera.  If Opera fails i may have to restore the exe file on Vivaldi or Opera to communicate.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

I don't see an obvious infection indicated in the logs.

Since you have a full backup of the system though, we can do some extensive clean up and see if that corrects the issue.

Would you like to run some generic clean up routines and uninstall some stuff for now?

• Root Admin

Please temporarily uninstall the following programs from Control Panel

Avira Security
Avira Phantom VPN
CCleaner
CleanMem
Java 8 Update 211 (64-bit)
Java 8 Update 211

I'm working on a clean up script. Will post back soon. In the meantime, please uninstall those items and restart the computer. @iowaan

• Root Admin

Please run the following fix @iowaanonce you have uninstalled the items listed in my post above.

NOTE: If you do not uninstall those items this fix will not run correctly

Once the fix has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\judd\Downloads\
NOTE. It's important that both files, C:\Users\judd\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run the Farbar program located here:  C:\Users\judd\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe with Admin rights, and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log here:  C:\Users\judd\Downloads\Fixlog.txt  Please attach it to your next reply.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Great, that log looks like it ran well.

Let me have you run the following now.

Let me have you run a different scanner to double-check.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on the Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g. their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at the bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Note: If you do need to do a File Restore from ESET please follow the directions below

[KB2915] Restore files quarantined by the ESET Online Scanner version 3

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2915-restore-files-quarantined-by-the-eset-online-scanner

i left the computer running since i ran FRSTEnglish.exe, about three hours ago.  So far Opera, XYplorer, and winzip, usually the first to be damaged, have not been corrupted and appear to open correctly.  In the past three hours has been plenty of time for the issue to occur.

• Root Admin

Thank you for the log @iowaan

Nothing too critical. Please run the following

SecurityCheck by glax24              

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire about the current security update status of some applications.

• Download SecurityCheck by glax24: https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • If Microsoft SmartScreen blocks the download, click through to save the file
  • This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.
  • If SmartScreen blocks the file from running click on More info and Run anyway
  • Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"  and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open a text file named SecurityCheck.txt Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
  • You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you

• Root Admin

We'll address Malwarebytes in a little while @iowaan

Let me have you please follow the directions from the following topic and get Windows 7 updated as much as possible since it's no longer supported by Microsoft now for a long time.

Running Windows 7 without the updates is like taking a boat out on the lake with holes in it. Malwarebytes is not a replacement for Windows security updates.

If you have questions or need further assistance with the updates, please let me know.

i turned off the guest account.

stand alone installer indicated kb3140245 and kb3020369 were already installed, but i had to manually install the registry keys with "enable_TLS.reg"

kb3020369 did install, but after i rebooted it started configuring updates, but failed and reverted.

the installed update list shows 500 some updates.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp was already set to DefaultSecureProtocols  REG_DWORD  0x00000A00.