Android 13 blocking notifications

Some how notifications for Malwarebytes got turned off and I can't turn them back on. When I go into app notifications for Malwarebytes the "All Malwarebytes notifications" slide button is greyed out and I can't turn them back on. There is a message, "At your request, Android is blocking this app's notifications from appearing on this device". Anyone know how to get the notifications turned back on?

Hi @Sherman,

Thank you for screenshot!  This is very helpful.  Not sure what Google support said, but I found confirmation that this is a known issue by Google: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/180399110/how-do-i-turn-on-notifications-for-google-camera-on-my-pixel-6-pro?hl=en

As you can see, it's even doing this to Google's own Camera app. 🤦‍♂️

Regardless, I did send this to our dev team as well.  Unfortunately, this is really up to Google to fix.

Thanks for pointing this out so we are at least aware of the issue,

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, which just started today.  I'm glad I saw this posting as it will save me a lot of time spent for nothing.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly what happened to me.  When I set up this report was just my Pixel 6 Pro; now it has affected my wife's Pixel 6 Pro the same way.

Hi @winninh@Clang, @Sherman, @ingber, @swieder711,

Okay, we found a solution.  It appears that Google released Android OS 13 with a change to notifications — without notifying app developers of the change. This caught many developers by surprise, including Google's own Camera app among others. 🤦‍♂️ Many were reporting that this was up to Google to resolve originally, so that's where the confusion happened.  Anyway, thank you all for being persistence and patient.  We will have this resolved in the next release.

Best Regards, 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. Pixel 4a updated to Android 13 yesterday, now I no longer get the notification on my lock screen that MWB is running.

As described above, the notifications toggle switch is grayed out, and there's the message "At your request, Android is blocking notifications from appearing on this device." (which I did not request).

I also uninstalled and reinstalled MWB to make sure I've got the latest version.

Starting to lose confidence.

Hard to believe that this problem was described here about 2 months ago 🤦‍♂️

Hi @GretchZ,

Could you be more specific on what is missing?  There may be a way to enable in settings.

I would try this:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Go to Accessibility
  3. Tap Malwarebytes icon in Accessibility list
    1. Description name varies
  4. Toggle Use Accessibility to on
  5. Toggle Accessibility Services shortcut to on
Edited by mbam_mtbr