Malwarebytes Browser Guard - issue in Firefox

After closing the Firefox browser,and open it again it does not longer show any blocks from Malwarebytes Browserguard. I uninstalled the Express VPN add on,and closed the browser. Now when open it again and testing Youtube,Msn,Amazon and such,it does not longer show any blocking counts. If i uninstall Malwarebytes browserguard now and reinstall it,then it shows blocking counts again. The issue appears to be back again,i am afraid.

Could it be a matter of how one set up the security settings in Firefox? Right now it is set as Delete cookies and site data  and HISTORY - :Firefox will never remeber history.Firefox will use the same settings as private browsing, and will not remember any history as you browse the Web.

• Root Admin

No, it should not matter.

Please export your bookmarks to another location where you can reimport them again when needed.

Then change your default browser over to Chrome or Edge

Then uninstall Firefox and restart the computer. DO NOT reinstall Firefox just yet.

Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and click on SCAN and post back as an attachment both new logs.

FRST.TXT

ADDITION.TXT

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please open an elevated admin command prompt. Then copy and paste the following into the window.

Click the Y key to allow access to the Library.

winget upgrade --all

That will attempt to update all software on the system that it knows of.

When that is done, please let me know.

• Root Admin

Great, please run the following fix which will remove all left over items from the Firrefox removal.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Discord cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please go ahead and download and then install Firefox

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Then download and install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Firefox

Do not make any other modification to Firefox yet. Do not install any other extensions yet.

Then restart the computer.

Visit YouTube and let me know if you're getting blocks properly or not

Done exactly so,without making any changes in Firefox or setting it as my default browser. My default browser is still Chrome. 

When visit Youtube from Firefox with Malwarebytes browserguard,i get blocks from the browserguard. No other extensions is installed.

Edited by sten2

• Root Admin

Go ahead and set Firefox to Default.

Make sure your antivirus is running. Restart the computer again, try normal use of Firefox on multiple sites, but do not change the security settings or add other extensions to Firefox just yet.

See how things work for a day. If all continues to go well, then add uBlock Origin back to Firefox and see if any change there.

Ok,have done so. Firefox is now my default browser without other extensions than Malwarebytes Browserguard. I will testdrive  the Firefox browser today.

My Antivirus and Malwarebytes as well are running.

Edited by sten2

I have running the Firefox browser with just Malwarebytes Browserguard extension,and it had worked fine. Then i thought it was time to add som other extensions. I added Ublock origin and Express VPN addons. After that it still worked like it should,Malwarebytes Browserguard showing blocking counts and Ublock origin as well.

Then i thought it was time to test it a little further. I did changes in the Firefox browser. All these changes can be brought back without uninstall Firefox. First i typed about:config and setting media.peerconnection.enabled false. Then i doing the basic stuff changes like changing the Enhanced Tracking Protection to strict,and to remove all history while closing Firefox.

After that i closed the browser,and then Malwarebytes Browserguard does not show any  blocking counts. Now everytime i open Firefox i first have to uninstall Malwarebytes browserguard,and then reinstall it again,and then it shows blocking counts in all sites. Why should i not not change the security settings or add other extensions to Firefox,after it appears to work perfectly again?

On 10/1/2022 at 11:58 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

That would require much closer attention to changes. I modify my installation of Firefox quite a bit and it still works for me.

Let me see what the team has to say about it.

Just wanted to check. Have you heard anything from the team yet?

Today i saw that the browserguard in Firefox was updated to version 2.5.4. However,my issue remains. In order to have Malwarebytes browserguard to show blocking counts,i have to first uninstall it everytime i open Firefox,then install it again. Then it works and showing blocking counts.

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Malwarebytes Browser Guard - issue in Firefox
  • Root Admin

@sten2

Please provide more details on your Firefox changes.

I set my setting to Strict and that made no changes. MBG still shows blocking counts.

image.png

I also disabled: media.peerconnection.enabled

[EDIT - UPDATE: Setting these items seems to have disabled it. Working to see which specific one]

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

• Root Admin

Okay, the "Never remember history" setting is what disables the counting in Malwarebytes Browser Guard

image.png

Deleting all the Data does not break it.

image.png

I'll have to check with the team and see what's up with that. Maybe it does that on purpose, not sure yet.

AdvancedSetup,

You are right about that Never remember history setting is what disables the counting in Malwarebytes Browser Guard. I still have media.peerconnection.enabled set to false.

I have these settings.

201518261_Firefoxsettings1.thumb.PNG.6c90bf3720a149c77cf6019f4472fb5d.PNG

Then under History i instead set it to Use custom settings for history,with clear history when Firefox close,and under settings for clearing history,i checked all options. Now Mb Browserguard shows all blocking counts.

1108892705_Firefoxsettings2.PNG.4191bbc838fe6598a264c7c42e329766.PNG