Windows 7 SP1 OS running on Sony VAIO has issues

ArunJ
Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi -

I have installed MB-4.5.14 premium trial for windows. I was able to open the application and do quick scan, however it keeps popping up error message "Realtime protection error occurred -one or more protection layers are not responding".  I see "Malware protection" and "Exploit Protection" are not turned on and while trying to turn on, it keeps spinning and the button is disabled after a while. 

To give brief background on what leads me to this situation, I had installed third party antivirus (licensed version) a month ago and it was working well until the issue started a week back. The app kept crashing, took their online support, they tried to uninstall the existing antivirus programs and reinstall it, but the reinstallation failed with error "***.sys failed to copy to destination directory". They diagnosed the logs and suggested preliminary troubleshooting steps - sfc, dism, chkdsk but none helped and they had pointed the issue to OS corruption and advised OS repair/reinstall or upgrade. But i cant go with the option as i dont want to lose existing personal data/settings on OEM pre-installed OS and moreover, i dont have OS DVD/disk available to perform repair/reinstall now.

The question i have - is the problem really due to corrupted OS or potential malware (rootkits?) that prevents to install/run antivirus programs? But I managed to install MB and performed quick scan that detected PUP exe and quarantined them.Looking forward to your support to diagnose potential issue with my system and provide a resolution. Thanks.

Attached are the application errors and diagnostic logs of MB support tool/FRST.  

Note:- I had MB4.2 earlier and was uninstalled by the third party support and hence i ended up in downloading MB4.5.14 premium trial version.mbst-grab-results.zipMB-App-Errors.zip

Haha.. its AVG internet security. Fyi i tried installing Avira, Bit defender that didnt work either.

Its wondering that malwareBytes installation was successful when other third party softwares couldnot,  but however ended up with this problem of "real time protection not turned on"

Good morning.
This here is a Windows 7 SP1 with ( supposedly) Microsoft Security Essentials. Right?
Let us do these steps, as starters. { 1 }

• Windows File Explorer needs to be  set to show ALL  folders, all system files,  etc  including hidden files / folders

Open Windows File Explorer.
•    Select View   from its top menu bar  >   click Options  on the icon at the far right-side > Change folder and search options   ( from the drop down ).
•    on the next multi-tab mini-window
•    Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings
•    select Show hidden files, folders, and drives 
•    and OK.

January 14, 2020 was the End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) [supposedly] will continue to receive signature updates after January 14, 2020. However, the MSE platform will no longer be updated

{ 2 }

• Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

{ 3 }
I also would appreciate this report:

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.  

{ 4 }

• I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
  • Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe
  • and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good morning @Maurice Naggar. Hope everything is fine. 

Here is the actions performed and update as per your directions,

1) Yes i had installed Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 SP1 (optional windows update) couple of days back and able to perform quick scan. But the weird thing is its real time protection is not turned on as well. 

2) Turned off "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center" in Settings->Windows Security Center

3) Successfully ran "Farbar's Service Scanner utility" and attached the logs

4) Successfully ran "SecurityCheck by glax24" and attached the logs.

Thanks and appreciate your response.

2022-09-27_222638.png

2022-09-27_222915.png

FSS.txt SecurityCheck.txt

Thanks. The FSS report is good. Later on, I will point out several apps ( per SecurityCheck ) that need updating. 

This custom job will run exclusively and also at the end, it will do a Windows Restart ( reboot). This is intended to run some system checks, selected cleanups, as well as run the Windows System File Checker & DISM checks. As well as hopefully, help to get the system in better position for Microsoft Windows Update ( for future ).

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this. THIS run will do a Windows RESTART. Once it starts it will auto-close any other running app.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the C:\Users\SJP\Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Arunj  Windows 7 machine  only / for this machine only.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt    <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads    folder.

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

•    If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.
  • IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

Just as side note, i had tried this cmd before- "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /checkhealth" , but its is not supported in windows 7 version (or may be win7 is not up to date)

Instead i tried "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth" based on googling and able to run it successfully.

I have attached the logs of above DISM command, in case if you need for reference.

Thanks for your quick response. Have a nice rest of the day.

CheckSUR.log

Good morning @Maurice

Please see my response for your questions & steps

1.Regarding "C:\Program Files (x86)\uplMjjPX", this folder is not found and very few files are there in "C:\Windows\Temp"

2. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 if its supported by Sony Vaio Laptop model (SVE1511A1EB) purchased in UK . But I'm unsure if i can find Windows 10 upgrade instructions and compatible drivers from Sony, as they have been gradually terminating all supports and updates to Sony Vaio products.   

As a last resort, if this issue could not be fixed without OS repair, I will have to go for either OS reinstall or upgrade, or whichever is feasible

3. Attached the last DISM scan log. The errors are now reduced to 7. Sure i will take this up with sysnative.com forum if this is real concern and addressed to resolve this problem.

4. Completed step-1 and reattached the FIXLOGS.txt

5. Step-2 failed - downloaded kaspersky tool and ran the executable as specified [C:\Users\SJP\Desktop\KVRT.exe -dontencrypt] , Clicked Ok to all terms & agreements, but error pop up was thrown "Cant Load Drivers"

Suspecting if the issue is because of System32/Drivers folder -user account permission error due to malwares or rootkits.

Please let me know for further actions/steps.

2022-09-29_000919.png

2022-09-28_225112.png

2022-09-28_235012.png

Fixlog.txt CheckSUR.log

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. This run will scan all drives.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select  FULL scan  .

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. Once you start the scan & you see it started, then leave it be.  

• Once you see it has started, take a long long break;  walk away.  Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display.  The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.
  • Again, any on-screen display about repeat 'infection' is not to be relied on.  Ignore those. I do not need any screen-grabs.
  • Any visual display of estimated time "left" is a estimate only, and NOT to be relied on as a actual dead-on "take-it-to the bank".
  • Any on-screen display line about "infected file" is to be completely disregarded !!
  • We only rely on the end result that is on the log-report-file.

This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply. We will do more later. I will likely have you do yet another, different scan to check for malware. After that, I will ask you to insure that you have a current Backup of this system on offline removable backup media. Then hopefully, preparation for & guidance to attempt a upgrade-in-place to Windows 10. ( free and from Microsoft).

• Several threats found & removed including Trojan:Win32/Vigorf.A ... Removed!
  • HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS!rfn ... Removed!
  • HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS ... Removed!

I would urge you highly to stay far away from hack / cracked software of any sort. Whether a so called free program or free game, or whatever.
Hidden risks in pirated software
https://news.microsoft.com/apac/2019/01/08/hidden-risks-in-pirated-software/

Torrenting & filesharing. Try to not do that, as a general security matter. All it takes is one malicious file to lead to tragedy & loss.
https://informationsecuritybuzz.com/articles/torrenting-know-risks-take/

• I regret that the Kaspersky KVRT did not run. Go ahead and delete the downloaded file named KVRT.exe
  • Alright. We need to do more scanning. This here you can start & once it is under way, you can leave the machine alone & let it run over-night. No need to keep watch once it starts the actual scan run. 

Next, This will be a check with ESET Onlinescanner for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications" and click on Start scan button.

• Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be.  That is, once it is under way, you should leave it running.  It will run for several hours.

• At screen "Detections occured and resolved" click on blue button "View detected results"
  • On next screen, at lower left, click on blue "Save scan log"
  • View where file is to be saved. Provide a meaningful name for the "File name:"
  • On last screen, set to Off (left) the option for Periodic scanning
  • Click "save and continue"
  • Please attach the report file so I can review
Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good day @Maurice

Thanks for sharing those article links.  That's helpful. Will be extra-careful with unsecured link, torrents s & pirated softwares

Regarding Kaspersky, it also concerns me why dll/drivers of antivirus software fail to setup or run properly in my system.

Completed ESET Online Scanner -FULL scan and attached the logs. It has found 2 more trojans

Will wait for your next update. Thanks.

ESET_Scan_Logs.txt

The ESET found & removed 1 trojan-script and, a Avast setup file because of likelyhood of its having a PUA-type toolbar.

Go to this link at AVG to get, then SAVE, then run the AVG uninstall ( cleanup) tool
https://bit.ly/3BZ1bHY

Note: the Kaspersky KVRT does NOT install as a "installed" application. It is a on-demand, manual, direct executable.
NOTE: the more antivirus programs you installed on this rig, the likelier thay left some traces, plus, possibly, had placed "a service" disabled that is now needed. We may need to get & run Cleanup tools for Avira & BitDefender.

• This next section is to check on a selection of key services by using MSCONFIG.

From Start button, select RUN (or Windows-flag-key +R key) and in the run-text-box type in MSCONFIG and press OK or Enter.

On Windows 7, press Windows-key on keyboard, and type in MSCONFIG and tap ENTER-key.

You should see the General tab. Click the General tab. It should have Normal startup selected (in the radio-box=selection)

IF it does not, then you click on Normal startup.

now Click on Services tab. To get it's display of Windows services.

Keep a written list of any changes from my list of services below. That way you and I have a reference document.

Look at the bottom line Hide all Microsoft services

IF and only IF its is checkmarked, then un-check it.

the list of services may be shown in non-alphabetical order, so ....

Look at the heading titled "Service". Click on it as needed so the list is sorted and top of list starts with the "A" services.

You can toggle as needed to get the desired order.

IF any of below services are NOT shown, don't panic & do not stop, just write down the info for me and proceed with the others !

Then using the scroll-bar scroll down the list

Look for Base Filtering Engine. Click on the checkbox so that it is checked ( that is needed so that service is ENABLED).

Look for COM+ Event System. Is it shown? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for COM+ System Application. Is it shown? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for Ipsec Policy Agent. Is it shown? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for Microsoft Security Client. Is it shown ? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark

Look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator. Is it shown ? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for RPC Endpoint Mapper. Is it shown ? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for Windows Firewall. Is it shown ? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

Look for Windows Management Instrumentation. Is it shown ? Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

When done, press the Apply button, and the OK button.

You're likely to be prompted to Restart Windows, do so.

If not prompted, you need to do a Logoff and Restart of Windows.

At your next chance, Launch Microsoft Security Essentials. Is it in a normal good state?
and next, Launch Malwarebytes. Is it in a normal good state ?

After the stuff above, kindly also do this. 

I need for you to have pen and paper handy and take notes on what follows, please.

Press and hold the Windows-flag-key on keyboard and tap the *R* key to get the RUN menu option.

type in

services.msc

and press Enter key. 

Scroll to look for "Base Filtering Engine". Is it present ? Does it show status as "Started" ?

Look for Microsoft Security Client. Is it shown ?

Scroll down the list. Look for "Remote Procedure Call ( RPC )".

Does it show in the list as Running?
If it does not, then click the line "Remote Procedure Call ( RPC ): to be sure it is selected

look on the upper left corner and click on Start service.

Scroll down the list. Look for "Windows management Instrumentation".

Does it show in the list as Running?
If it does not, then click the line "Windows management Instrumentation: to be sure it is selected

look on the upper left corner and click on Start service.

Close the window when done.
Kindly relay to me all details. Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

1. In MSCONFIG (System Configuration) ->"General" tab, Changed "StartUp Selection" from "Selective Startup" to "Normal Startup" 

2.  Status of mentioned services in MSCONFIG (System Configuration),

• Base Filtering Engine               -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in RUNNING status  (No changes done)
  • COM+ Event System                 -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in RUNNING status  (No changes done)
  • COM+ System Application             -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in STOPPED status  (No changes done)
  • Ipsec Policy Agent                   -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in STOPPED status  (No changes done)
  • Microsoft Security Client           -NOT SHOWN
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in STOPPED status  (No changes done)
  • RPC Endpoint Mapper                 -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in RUNNING status  (No changes done)
  • Windows Firewall                    -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in RUNNING status  (No changes done)
  • Windows Management Instrumentation  -SHOWN,ALREADY CHECKED and in RUNNING status  (No changes done)

3. Status of mentioned services in SERVICES.msc

• Base Filtering Engine               -PRESENT and ALREADY in STARTED status (No changes done)
  • Microsoft Security Client         -NOT PRESENT
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)  -PRESENT and ALREADY in STARTED status (No changes done)
  • Windows Management Instrumentation  -PRESENT and ALREADY in STARTED status (No changes done)

Applied changes (MSCONFIG-> Normal StartUp) and restarted the system.

But Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes are in same state ie., "Real- Time Protection are not turned on" .

Attempted to turn them (both MSE and MB) on manually , but they are not enabled and keeps spinning 😐

and forgot to mention ->  Performed AVG uninstall (once again because it was already uninstalled) using AVG Clear tool as well.

Edited by ArunJ

Thanks. This here is a multi-part set of suggestions. Do them all. Do as much as possible.
{ Step 1 }
Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge & Chrome & Firefox browsers, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it
guide & download link

Then be sure to close all web browsers after the download & before launching the tool.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

Guide article

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed.

{ Step 2 }
This next part is a free antivirus, standalone tool, for one time use. It does not "install". It is a on-demand manual executable. This will run very quickly ( though frankly, I am unsure if they run on Windows 7 ).

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Follow the Instruction here for installation.

Start / Launch F-secureOnkinescanner.exe

Accept the License Agreement ---Click on Accept and Scan

Click on YES button when prompted to start

Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
It will display on-screen "Scanning and cleaning"

The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, IF it has reported detections, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.

When all is complete, if it displays a screen "your pc is not safe"  and it has the ad-picture for their "F-Secure Safe" product, you can ignore that message.

{ Step 3 }
Attempt aimed to get a manual update of definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials. It may work. If it does, that may help.
What we want to do is, in order, (1) download and SAVE a EXE file, after it is saved, (2) run the EXE

Go to this Microsoft link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates
Scroll down to the line "Microsoft Security Essentials"
On that line, click on the link "64-bit"   { your OS is 64-bit }
Be sure to SAVE the file.

The file should be named mpam.exe

Once the save has completed, Launch mpam.exe
Watch to see that it completes a update.

Launch Microsoft Security Essentials to see if there is an improvement.
On MSE click the "UPDATE" tab.  See if you can do a Update run.  ( just test it)

Now click MSE "Settings" tab.  Look over the options there. By the way, see about changing Scheduled sacn Time from 2 AM to something like 10 AM.

Now click MSE "Home" tab and see about doing a Quick scan.

{ Step 3 }
This is just a tool to generate an information / diagnostic report.

RSIT (Random's System Information Tool)

Please download RSITx64 by random/random... save it to your desktop.

http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSITx64.exe

Double click on RSITx64.exe to start it. If Windows UAC prompts you, please allow it.

Please read the disclaimer... click on Continue.

RSIT will start running. When done... 2 logs files...will be produced.

The first one, "log.txt", <<will be maximized... the second one, "info.txt", <<will be minimized.

Please attach both... "log.txt" and "info.txt", files with your next reply.

One more area for follow-up action. 

Navigate to start>control panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>services

Find the Microsoft Antimalware Service.

Double click it.

Click on the “Recovery” tab.

You will see three drop down menus for:

• First failure
  • Second Failure
  • Subsequent Failures

Make sure that ALL THREE are set to “Restart the Service”

Click OK and restart.

Good day @Maurice Naggar 

Please see below the action performed in each steps and results,

Step-1:-

• Downloaded MBAdware and scanned as per guide. 
  • Scan results found some PUP -Adwares and Pre-Installed Sofwares. 
  • Checked all PUP-Adwares for quarantine
  • From Pre-Installed Softwares, unchecked all Sony-Vaio softwares and checked only game software "WildTangent" 
  • Clicked Quarantine, clean up completed and the results are displayed. But BSOD error occurred immediately and had to force shutdown using power button.
  • On system restart, downloaded the log files from Log tab and attached the results.

Step-2:-

• Downloaded F-Secure online scanner and performed the scan, but no threats found

Step-3:-

• Downloaded mpam-fe.exe [64bit] from the given link.
  • On clicking the exe, nothing opened in GUI. But in TASK window, mpam-fe background process was opened and closed immediately.
  • Launched "Microsoft Security Essentials", no major improvements
  • In MSE- Update tab, on clicking update button, download progressed, but  installation failed with Internet/Connectivity failure (Double checked internet is up, may be is it problem due to firewall or IE browser security settings??)
  • However MSE- Update tab shows update defintions are completed on current date around few mins back (must be auto-update and definitely not manual update)
  • In MSE-Settings tab, able to change scheduled scan from Sunday 2AM to 10AM
  • In MSE-Home tab, performed Quick scan , scan completed on 57106 items but no threats found.

Step-4:-

• Downloaded and ran RSIT tool (chosen 3 months of file/folder list in disclaimer window) and the log files are attached.
  • Note:- From the info log, i observed some extra urls in hosts file, however the last file created date is 07/09/2020

Step-5:-

• In Services (services.msc), found Microsoft Antimalware service. It is set to "automatic" with status as "started", however in Properties->Recovery tab, all the options are disabled !!!

2022-09-30_222532.png

2022-09-30_222605.png

2022-09-30_233905.png

AdwCleaner[C00].txt AdwCleaner[S00].txt rsit_info.txt rsit_log.txt

Thank you. 

This report tool will run in Windows , even if you have to do it through an elevated command prompt.

1: Please download & Save DDS from this link  and save it to your desktop:

Don't click any flashing ads  ( if any show up).   The download will begin on its own thru your browser.

2: RIGHT-click dds.com and select OPEN.  (If prompted,  reply YES and allow the tool to run.)

Next click the Start button.

This scan will produce 2 logs, DDS.txt and Attach.txt, and save them to your desktop.

When the report has finished, the 2 report files will show in your default text application.

Just Close those 2 windows.

NEXT, I am curious to see exactly what version of Dxdiag is currently on this system.

Click Windows Start Orb, type

dxdiag

in the search box.

Tap or click on dxdiag from the results.

Check DirectX Version on the first page of the report in the System Information section. Kindly report the Version number.

Remark: The one good thing about MSE 

performed Quick scan , scan completed on 57106 items but no threats found

Found some of the AV clean up and uninstall tools on googling,   Please let me know if i can try these?

https://www.opswat.com/free-tools/free-endpoint-security-scan [App vulnerability scan and removal tool]

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2625/ [AVIRA uninstall]

https://www.bitdefender.com/links/uninstall_consumer_paid.html [BitDefender uninstall]

https://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/SupportTools/MCPR/MCPR.exe [MCAFEE removal tool]  -forgot to mention that Mcafee was pre-installed in my laptop and later uninstalled  to improve system performance