Safari Malwarebytes Browser Guard 1.1.4 strange loading of the extension

Chas4

You can see in the attached photo that there are duplicates (that are all running under the same user), macOS 11 fully updated.  This is on first start of Safari after a reboot.  Anyone else see this?

by default 2022-08-22 at 3.19.24 PM.png

Impossible to have multiple copies as it is from the App Store and no other user accounts.  As I mentioned this is just after a restart and first load of Safari (this has been on and off bug with Browser Guard for Safari for the last few versions).

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Chas4 said:

Impossible to have multiple copies as it is from the App Store

That's definitely not true.

1744958626_ScreenShot2022-08-23at7_42_31AM.png.c3a047016a441e806bc4f7c4682b348d.png

Are you sure you haven't got additional copies stored somewhere? Browser extension apps should need to be in an Applications folder to function, but the user Applications folder (~/Applications) is one that people sometimes put apps into and then forget about.

If you definitely don't have multiple copies anywhere, you'll probably need to wait for someone from the Browser Guard team to comment.

1000000% sure I have no other copies (only have it from the Apple App Store as that is the only way to have extensions for Safari, old extensions are blocked from even loading in Safari like the old uBlock Origin, and Apple's strange decision to force a separate app for each Safari extension), the processes in the screenshot are all just from the 1 Malwarebytes Safari extension.

Edited by Chas4
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.057a48727218ff51991d4de7942cd20e.png

Not sure what is causing this (there is an old bug with Finder extensions getting loaded 5+ times by macOS)

• 2 weeks later...

Does seem to be a bug in the extension, with Safari 16 and macOS update that just came out today still getting the same issue, and scam blocker is failing to load in Safari

image.png.41f5b125b43709edec08f5164f9efeb5.png

Can't do any App Store updates until Apple fixes the server that handles the agreement for the new terms.

12 minutes ago, gatortail said:

@Chas4 unfortunately we are still unable to reproduce this problem.  Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling Browser Guard?

Have not and this has happened since first installing the extension.  @gatortail is there a way to grab logs to see why it might be happening?

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing as this issue I reported months ago and I reproduce it 100% of the time 

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.57f816d942c7d20d1fd6a629d66ed329.png

Was there other text suppose to be in the release notes?

1.2.0 does the same thing

image.thumb.png.873d157f0926da619cc6c4c7337150e5.png

This is right after updating

This is later 

image.thumb.png.2c7ca075082cb6aac34593f74ef2b38e.png

Not sure how a reinstall would work if I have been seeing the issue since first installing the extension. (can't be extension conflict as there are no other extensions).

I never got an answer on how I could get any logs if there are any to send to Malwarebytes.  Is the attached app in zip for the extension, does it have a valid signature for verification (others would not be able to use it since Safari will only load extensions from the App Store), wonder what else I could verify with the extension/s for the Browser Guard. 

829957779_MalwarebytesBrowserGuard.app.zip

2 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @Chas4 & @gatortail:

The above archived Malwarebytes Browser Guard.app shows it's verified but not notarized according to Patrick Wardle's WhatsYourSign.app from Objective-See.

HTH

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.55.53.png

I am wondering if the hash of the file is what is to be expected from what Malwarebytes has for it

• Staff
On 10/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, 1PW said:

Hello @Chas4 & @gatortail:

The above archived Malwarebytes Browser Guard.app shows it's verified but not notarized according to Patrick Wardle's WhatsYourSign.app from Objective-See.

This is actually expected. Apps from the App Store are not notarized. The notarization process was created specifically for distribution of apps outside the App Store, and is not needed if an app is distributed via the App Store. (Such apps actually get closer scrutiny than notarized apps.)

image.thumb.png.d6661892e099009bcf8cd185e4089848.png

Any way to get logs as asked before?

On 10/10/2022 at 6:42 AM, treed said:

This is actually expected. Apps from the App Store are not notarized. The notarization process was created specifically for distribution of apps outside the App Store, and is not needed if an app is distributed via the App Store. (Such apps actually get closer scrutiny than notarized apps.)

I know one browser maker that has been failing that for a lot time now on all 3 of their streams, reported it to them long ago and the bug has not been fixed.