Possible FP for Memtest86+ USB Installer (V6.00 Beta 3)

XTRMNTR2K

Last night MBAM flagged a previously downloaded file as suspicious, even though I had already scanned it after originally downloading it around two weeks ago.

The file in question is detected as Malware.AI.3050200255, which wasn't the case until the most recent scheduled scans. To be sure I also ran another MBAM update and re-scanned it just now, still the same result.

The file is an installer for a bootable Memtest86+ USB drive with the latest release (V6.00 Beta 3); it is also partially flagged on Virustotal, though from what I can see all of those are AI-based detections as well:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1d2b8a5c392dda89609fd467ce3c826bdc1c9bec731a6099daccdfac8ca782cb/detection

Here's hoping this is just the result of an overzealous AI engine rather than a real malware detection...

possible_false_positive_memtest86plus.zip

• Staff

Hello,

Thank you for reporting. I think some of those AV at Virustotal don't like the fact that this tool can be used to wipe flash drives and overwrite your MBR. 
Caution is advised.. not because it is malware but because the tool has some potential to do damage if not used correctly. 
File has been whitelisted.

• Like 1