Outside scan reports "junk".

I contacted Canon about not being able to connect printer.  Ended up with a help person.  Said computer is full of "junk" and wanted $199 to clean it up.  I ran Malwarebyte scan and it reported clean.  Do I need to do something about "junk".  If so, what?  MacBook Pro 15inch 2019  running 12.4. 

• Staff
On 8/13/2022 at 3:38 PM, Pam220 said:

I contacted Canon about not being able to connect printer.  Ended up with a help person.  Said computer is full of "junk" and wanted $199 to clean it up.

This is a classic tech support scam. They will try to convince you that your computer needs to be "cleaned" and will charge you outrageous prices for it. If you provided a credit card to the person you were talking to, report it to your credit card company. You'll need the charge reversed and probably a new card number issued.

Never search for support numbers via Google or other search engines. Instead, go directly to the company's website (support.canon.com, in this case) and find technical support contact options there.

• Like 2