GeSWall interfacing with Other A/Vs

gonwk

Hi folks,

I did a search in the Forum and I did not see an answer to GeSWall Q's ...

Q1: Is GeSWall Freeware similar to WinPatrol?

Q2: Can I run GeSWall and WinPatrol side by side or they will interfere? Or do I even need WinPatrol if I install GeSWall?

Here is what currently I am running on my Gateway laptop that has Vista Home Prem., SP1, 64-Bit on it ...

- Windows Standard Defender that comes with Microsoft Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-Bit

- Comodo Firewall portion of the Comodo CIS (Free version) with Defense + and settings at Safe Level.

- Avira Antivirus Free

- WinPatrol Free

- SpywareBlaster 4.2

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41 (as on Demand Scanner)

- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.29.1004 (as on Demand Scanner)

Q3: Can I install GeSWall on this laptop with all of those A/Vs running at the same time? Any Conflicts?

Q4: Which Combo of above A/V should I run on my laptop ... Som they are NOT Conflicting with one another ... keep in mind I Surf all over the Places?

I saw in another post in this Forum that Admin recommended Secunia Online Scanner ... so

Q5: Should I add "Secunia PSI" to my arsenal of A/V or Scanning tools? And leave it on Auto-Scanning so it will alert me to missing Patches for my various Softwares? My ONLY Hesitation is what kind of Privacy will I have then if Secunia sees all the Softwares that I have on my laptop!?!?

Thanks,

G! :blink:

Q1: Is GeSWall Freeware similar to WinPatrol?

Not really.

GeSWall is a policy based sandbox with some virtualisation thrown in. Its job is to run certain applications in an isolated environment so that they can't do any (or at least very little) harm if they get compromised (like a drive-by download for example) somehow. Programs that (should) be run isolated are basically all internet programs: browsers, FTP clients, messengers, IRC clients, P2P clients, etc. Other areas that can be isolated are other entry points: LAN, optical drives and USB drives. I'm not certain which of these are isolated by default, if any. If they aren't, they could be with a little additional tweaking.

WinPatrol on the other hand checks important system areas (startups, services, ActiveX applets, hidden files, etc.) at specified time intervals and alerts the user if any changes are detected.

GeSWall is an infection prevention tool, whereas WinPatrol is more of a system utility monitor/malware cleaner assistant.

Q2: Can I run GeSWall and WinPatrol side by side or they will interfere? Or do I even need WinPatrol if I install GeSWall?

I haven't used them together myself but there is absolutely no reason for them to not like each other.

Here is what currently I am running on my Gateway laptop that has Vista Home Prem., SP1, 64-Bit on it ...

- Windows Standard Defender that comes with Microsoft Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-Bit

- Comodo Firewall portion of the Comodo CIS (Free version) with Defense + and settings at Safe Level.

- Avira Antivirus Free

- WinPatrol Free

- SpywareBlaster 4.2

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41 (as on Demand Scanner)

- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.29.1004 (as on Demand Scanner)

Q3: Can I install GeSWall on this laptop with all of those A/Vs running at the same time? Any Conflicts?

Again, I haven't used these programs together but there should be no conflicts with any of the programs you mentioned. It should be noted however that CIS's Defense+ kind of makes WinPatrol redundant. With D+ you have control over so many things that something can hardly slip by it so it could be detected by WinPatrol afterwards.

Q4: Which Combo of above A/V should I run on my laptop ... Som they are NOT Conflicting with one another ... keep in mind I Surf all over the Places?

Actually only Avira AntiVir Personal is actually an antivirus program. The rest are not. You should be able to run all of them since there shouldn't any overlapping functions. Avira AntiVir, as already mentioned, is an antivirus program. Comodo Internet Security covers the firewall and HIPS department. Windows Defender is antimalware in general. WinPatrol Free is a system checker. SpywareBlaster is basically an immunization software. MBAM and SAS are antimalware programs but since they are used as on-demand only they shouldn't interfere with Windows Defender.

I saw in another post in this Forum that Admin recommended Secunia Online Scanner ... so

Q5: Should I add "Secunia PSI" to my arsenal of A/V or Scanning tools? And leave it on Auto-Scanning so it will alert me to missing Patches for my various Softwares? My ONLY Hesitation is what kind of Privacy will I have then if Secunia sees all the Softwares that I have on my laptop!?!?

Adding it is most certainly a good idea. It's not critically important or anything but it's a nice addition in general. However I wouldn't leave it monitoring all the time. I don't know how much resources it would require to do that but even if it's little and/or you have a powerful PC it's still not worth it. Unless you have quite a lot of programs installed it's quite unlikely that there would be updates often enough that would justify another resident program. I used to scan manually with Secunia PSI once every day for quite a while and haven't received an update/alert concerning 'insecure' software for a looong time. I just see no point in runing Secunia PSI all the time if I would get alerts a couple of times a month at the most. Not worth the extra resources, even if little of them are needed. Granted, my Start menu doesn't have 3 or more columns of installed software but still... Anyway, try it and decide for yourself. It's not like it takes hours to install/uninstall, or requires reboots, or something. :blink:

• Staff

Just for info and reference, CIS does have an antivirus component but you do have the option not to install it when you install the program :blink: . Also be aware that sometimes Defense+ can conflict with other installed softwares but none of the ones listed so far seem to have issues with it (at least that I've ever heard of).

• 4 weeks later...