Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 running on XP Pro SP3 - Database not updating

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 minute ago, tommytiko said:

I wonder why it is not updating, and whether this can be fixed.

Version 2 is no longer supported and no longer receives updates.

You will need to make note of your key and uninstall version 2 and install the legacy version of version 3 to keep receiving updates.

If you are on Windows XP/ Windows Vista
Click here to download

Hi tommytiko:

Further to Porthos' comment, see Malwarebytes employee AdvancedSetup's 26-May-2022 explanation in MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates After May confirming that Win XP and Vista users must now upgrade to Malwarebytes v3.5.1.2522 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy) if they want to continue receiving malware definition updates.

The Malwarebytes 4 FAQs thread pinned at the top of this board includes a section titled "Malwarebytes Support for Legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems" with more information.

Thanks Porthos and Imacri.

I updated from v2.2.1.1043 to 3.5.1.2522, which I assume is the same as the verion downloaded from the link you provided (mb3-setup-legacywos-3.5.1.2522-1.0.365-1.0.5292.exe) by running the repair function in mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe. Then I found that windows kept crashing and Whocrashed attributed the crashes to a Malwarebytes driver.  I have stopped the crashes by restoring my system from an image made before I ran the repair function and thus updated to v3.5.1.2522.  Should I try to install v3.5.1.2522 in a different way?

@tommytiko

I asked you to uninstall Version 2 and install version 3 from the link I provided.

7 minutes ago, tommytiko said:

by running the repair function in mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe

I never mentioned running the support tool. I would not use the tool like that.

Which Malwarebytes is installed at THIS time?

Hi tommytitko:

Just an FYI that my comments below are for information only.  I don't have sufficient privileges in the forum to read your mb-grab-results.zip diagnostic logs and don't know whether you use the Free or paid (Pro/Premium) version of Malwarebytes, so it would be best if you follow Porthos' instructions going forward since they are a Trusted Advisor and have more experience in this area than I do.  I would definitely avoid running a repair with the current Malwarebytes Support Tool v1.8.7 (Advanced | Repair System), since this repair option is normally run under the supervision of a Malwarebytes Support technician and could make changes to important Windows services on your unsupported Win XP SP3 OS that results in unexpected problems, as you found out the hard way.

Note that my Vista SP2 computer still boots up but it has essentially been unused since I bought a Win 10 laptop in 2019.

When I upgraded from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Pro v2.2.1 to Malwarebytes Premium v3.x on my Vista SP2 machine back in June 2017 I followed the instructions in AdvancedSetup's Feb 2013 instructions at MBAM Clean Removal Process because I wanted to remove that last traces of MBAM v2.2.1 off my system before the upgrade. Method 1 in those instructions is more complex and intended for users with a paid (Pro/Premium) license, while Method 2 is intended for MBAM Free users.  Back then I used the old MBAM Cleanup Tool v3.1.0 (mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe) referenced in AdvancedSetup's instructions to wipe the last traces of MBAM v2.2.1 off my system before re-booting and installing the latest Malwarebytes v3.x.  However, that old MBAM Cleanup Tool was replaced a few years ago by the current Malwarebytes Support Tool v1.8.7 (Advanced | Clean), so someone from Malwarebytes would have to tell you which tool is the better choice if you need to remove all remnants of MBAM v2.2.1 from your system.  As Porthos noted, a simple uninstall of MBAM v2.2.1 from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features might be all you need before you re-boot and run the installer for the legacy Win XP/Vista version of Malwarebytes v3.5.1 (available for download at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy).

Also note that some MBAM v2.2.1 users reported in anon743's May 2022 thread MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates After May 19 that they had to open a support ticket with Malwarebytes Support and ask to have their old 2-part activation key with a 16-digit key (ID: xxxxx; Key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx) switched to a new one-part activation key with a 20-digit key (Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) before they could activate their Malwarebyte Premium v3.5.1 installation.  This switch to a new activation key was a problem for a few users who couldn't find their original receipt from Cleverbridge as proof of purchase.  Of course, that's not something you have to worry about if you use the Free version of Malwarebytes.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.6391
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1826 * Firefox v103.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19400.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.12.204-1.0.1725 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

5 hours ago, lmacri said:

... Back then I used the old MBAM Cleanup Tool v3.1.0 (mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe) referenced in AdvancedSetup's instructions to wipe the last traces of MBAM v2.2.1 off my system before re-booting and installing the latest Malwarebytes v3.x.  However, that old MBAM Cleanup Tool was replaced a few years ago by the current Malwarebytes Support Tool v1.8.7 (Advanced | Clean), so someone from Malwarebytes would have to tell you which tool is the better choice if you need to remove all remnants of MBAM v2.2.1 from your system....

Hi Porthos / tommytitko:

Further to my previous post, I was reviewing anon743's May 2022 thread MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates After May 19 and came across a 27-May-2022 post <here> from P1W which states in part:

... Due to the longtime shortcomings of the Microsoft Windows uninstaller, Malwarebytes' major consumer products typically have their own unique uninstaller.  Such is the case with the MBAM 2 product which should be using the older MBAM Clean Removal Process tool ...

AdvancedSetup's 2013 instructions at MBAM Clean Removal Process include a link to the old MBAM Clean Tool v2.x (mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe) but according to my notes when I wiped MBAM v2.2.1 off my Vista SP2 machine in June 2017 I used the MB Clean Tool v3.x (mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe), which can be used to remove all versions of MBAM v1.x, MBAM v2.x and Malwarebytes v3.x (Note that employee respinoza published instructions <here> in 2017 for using MB Clean Tool v3.x - I always answered "No" in Step 6 to decline the automatic installation of Malwarebytes v3 and used the full offline installer from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy for the installation instead).  Regardless, P1W's post indicates that you should not use the current Malwarebytes Support Tool v1.8.7 (mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe) to remove the last traces of MBAM v2.2.1.
-----------
HP Pavilion dv6835ca * 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.3.6391
-----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1826 * Firefox v103.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19400.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.12.204-1.0.1725 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867

Thanks Porthos and Imacri.

I ended up updating via the repair tool because I thought I should obey the automated response to my initial post, where it says:

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

etc..

When I ran the repair function to see what it involved, the support tool proceeded to update my version of MWB without warning me that that was what it was going to do.  

I gather that I should uninstall v2.2.1.1043, which is the currently installed version, and instal v3.5.1.2522, otherwise than via the support tool.

It is not clear whether I need to use a clean up tool, but if I do it seems that the favoured version is mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe.  I think I will try the process without using the clean up tool first, and then use it if I am still having trouble. I will report back.