Problem encountered with Malwarebytes

I've been having similar problems with MB over the past several weeks and opened a ticket with Customer Support for help. 

The tech recommended temporarily uninstalling some software to try to identify a conflict. I'm running Windows 10 and use AVG, Acronis and System Mechanic software. Using MB Support Tool, I got the same "We encountered a problem ..." error message. 

After many uninstalls and reinstalls, I was able to identify TWO conflicts. 

The first was with Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office. After googling this topic, I learned that Acronis had recently added significant virus, malware and ransomware protections to their software. That's why they changed the name from True Image. When I opened Acronis and clicked the Protections tab to disable it's antivirus feature, I got this message recommending that I uninstall MB and AVG to avoid conflicts. I chose to keep MB and AVG and disable the Acronis protections. Maybe some experts will chime in on this topic sometime soon.

Acronis screen shot.pdf

The second conflict was with AVG. Even though I had already added MB to AVG's list of trusted apps, it still disabled MB on startup. I found this using Task Manager after a startup and found MB Service had been suspended. That discovery brought me to this forum where Porthos recommended this:

On 5/15/2022 at 6:31 PM, Porthos said:

I would recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Conflict between programs may still play a factor. They might play together for years and an update changes everything.

I added C:\Program Files\Malwarebyte and C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes to AVG's list of trusted files and folders.

That seems to have worked. I hope. We'll see if these solutions keep working over the coming weeks. 

One other tip I can pass along is to run Support Tool as an Administrator to get rid of the  "We encountered a problem ..." error message. The last time I got this, it dumped a log file onto my desktop. The file indicated Support Tool was unable to remove a few Chameleon files and did not have permissions to delete several other files.  I ran Support Tool again except this time I did it by right clicking on mb-support-xxxx.exe and choosing "Run as Administrator." When that finished, I did NOT choose to reinstall MB, but rather restarted first, and then reinstalled MB.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I've got all the kinks worked out.

Good luck.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue