pulpysearch

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello :welcome:

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Then be sure to close all web browsers.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.

Next step after finishing run of Adwcleaner: The preceding report set was not complete. I need a good, complete set. 

Let's pause and make time and just get a set of fresh reports to see what is running, what is active. Your machine has the FRSTENGLISH report tool on the Downloads folder. We will use that. Go to Downloads folder. RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH and select 

Run as Administrator

and tap ENTER. And reply YES to allow to proceed.  

•  When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.  And be very sure to TICK the box for Addition.txt
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run
  • Have patience since the run may take something like 10 or so minutes  (less depending on your hardware speed)
  • Close Notepad IF those show up on Notepad.
  • Just please Attach the 2 files FRST.txt +Addition.txt  with your next reply.

• Solution

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use thuis guide https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

Next, a custom script to do  checks & selected  cleanups. There is a setting that has disabled Microsoft Windows Update which has to be removed.

We will use FRSRENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Spudder  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.  Hoping it will not exceed 60 minutes in execute time.

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.
  • If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt              <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads    folder.

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.  

NOTE: After this, the 'pulpysearch' should be gone out of the Search preference in Google Chrome browser.

Let me suggest that you get your browsers each, as applicable, to have the Malwarebytes Browser Guard. For Chrome & for Firefox

See Support article how-to

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520374-Install-Malwarebytes-Browser-Guard

See Support article how-to for Firefox
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413298841747--Install-Malwarebytes-Browser-Guard-on-Firefox-browser

Note: If your pc also has Opera or Brave or Vivaldi browser, you can install the Chrome version of the Malwarebytes Browser Guard ( on each as appropriate).

Bravo. Thank you for the report. The Chrome browser has been cleared of the "pulpysearch" 'default search' setting. Chrome should be good-to-go.

I also see that Microsoft Defender is in a good state. 

I would highly suggest to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience.

[  2   Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus ]

Just want to do a visual check in Windows Security to see (visually) that Microsoft Defender is on , and to do a Custom scan.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

Good morning. Study and follow all of the tips on this Google support article on how to Reset search setting on Chrome at this link

I am suggesting you do all steps.  This is worth doing. By the way, "Bing" is not a threat. Bing is a legitimate search engine by Microsoft. Further, what is showing on the screen-grab above is 

searchfst[.]com

NEXT steps after you have completed stuff above:

Let's pause and make time and just get a set of fresh reports to see what is running, what is active. Your machine has the FRSTENGLISH report tool on the Downloads folder. We will use that. Go to Downloads folder. RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH and select 

Run as Administrator

and tap ENTER. And reply YES to allow to proceed.  

•  When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.  And be very sure to TICK the box for Addition.txt
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run
  • Have patience since the run may take something like 10 or so minutes  (less depending on your hardware speed)
  • Close Notepad IF those show up on Notepad.
  • Just please Attach the 2 files FRST.txt +Addition.txt  with your next reply.

These here are the next steps ( after doing the ones above) ,

Using just the Chrome browser, signin to your Google account ( if not signed in already)  https://chrome.google.com/
Then go to https://chrome.google.com/sync?
Scroll down the page, press the "CLEAR DATA" button, to clear the Chrome data from your Google account.

[   2   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[   3   ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

image.png.9f59b1a99e5e32db2619eeab22b5a72f.png

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[   4   ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

Special NOTE: Be certain you remove the notification for "Youtube" .  I believe that will be especially helpful here. 

Hi I see the video I attached video was removed maybe it didnt work. But when I type anything in the address bar of chrome, it says pulpysearch.com and a few other words, then just load up bing search. But as you can see by my screenshot before I dont have bing.  

I am also not very happy with Malwarebytes as I have told them by key dont work and it don run out until november 2022, I did a ticket thing on the help but not heard nothing. 

Addition.txt FRST.txt

• Root Admin

What is your ticket number? I'm heading off to get some rest but will check on your support ticket in the morning.

We can adjust the time on your license if there has been an issue not due to your fault.

Cheers

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

Chrome does not now show a preference for "Search" engine. And there is a very dubious extension ( seems like "fiery horse") which needs removal.

We will use FRSRENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

Delete the old file-named Fixlist.txt on Downloads folder.

This here is a new custom script .

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt             <<< - - - - -

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

• on the FRST window:

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.  

AFTER this completes. go into Chrome settings and re-check your preferences for Search, etc 

Chrome browser set Search preference
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95426

Keep me advised

• Root Admin

I found both of your tickets. The system was unable to locate any subscription or license information based on the email address used. Note, it takes about 3 to 5 workdays for a response, but I'll see if I can get someone to reply to the ticket sooner.

Please do not create more tickets, that makes it take longer for a reply.

Thank you

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello :welcome:

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Then be sure to close all web browsers.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.

AdwCleaner[S00].txt

Another follow-up, if there is still a issue with the Chrome Search ....

Delete the old file-named Fixlist.txt on Downloads folder.

This here is a new custom script .

Fixlist.txt        <<< - - - - -

• on the FRST window:

You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience.