Will Malwarebytes ever have proper high DPI support for 1440P/1600P?

I noticed it is fine on 4K for some reason, but malwarebytes is a tiny window on my 1440P Razer and 1600P Lenovo laptop displays.

The only way for the program to be usable without needing a magnifying glass is to right click properties, override DPI scaling to system. Now it is the normal size it always is, but it's blurry and doesn't look very nice (It IS usable however).

Because MWB scales perfectly on a 4K 17" Asus laptop screen I tested it on one time, I presume the high DPI code is already there but there is a problem with screens that aren't a perfect multiple of 1920x1080? 

It would be really nice if this is fixed, it's not exactly a cheap AV. I mean Kaspersky, Bit Defender, they scale perfectly. But I came back to MWB cause Kaspersky has a drastic latency impact on internet browsing and online gaming, and Bitdefender literally hosed my brand new computer after 2 weeks (but that's another story and a nightmare I logged everything about back in December, when I switched to MWB permanently).

Also it couldn't hurt to allow MWB to remember the last window size rather than me having to resize it *every single time* I open it. I don't like the square in the middle of the page, I like it filling up about 3/4 of the monitor view.. why does it always forget that setting without fail?

• Root Admin

100% agree on the Windows size and remember. I've asked for that as well. 

As for support HIDPI - we do. How or what other AV programs might be doing I'm not sure, but the coding shows we are allowing Microsoft to manage it.

Please see the following discussion from a year ago

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260874-high-dpi-display/

Hi and thanks for replying.

I am not entirely sure what we are disagreeing on? As I said, I know MWB is high DPI aware.. I never claimed to the contrary.. it is super sharp and high resolution and the correct size on a 4K display.

I am saying that for some reason, it has issues with 1440P, those middle resolutions between 1080P and 4K, and it appears as a tiny window.

It's not as if I have tried it on only one 1440P monitor, I have tried it on 3 on completely different laptops. It behaved the same on all of them.

So sure, MWB may be high DPI aware, but I am telling you that it is broken at certain resolutions and the only way to fix it is to right click the executable, go to high DPI compatibility settings and select "override/system"

This then puts the MWB window at the correct size relative to the screen but it is no longer in high resolution.

Do you want me to take a couple pics with that setting on and off so it shows exactly what I mean?

• Root Admin

Can we please get some logs to review? @TheodoreM

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Does this happen with/without hardware acceleration?

What scaling are you seeing the problems with?

Can we also get an HWiNFO hardware scan log?

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and double-click to run it.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

Hi, I just finished my clean install of everything but I decided to go with Windows 11 because the Lenovo power profiles are not working properly in windows 10. I have the system the way I want to now, so will go download MWB, install it, and of course I will do what you asked. No problem at all.

The display I am on currently is a 165hz 1600P display, so a 16:10 aspect ratio and native resolution of 2560x1600. It is a Lenovo Legion 7i, 2021 model.

The Razer is a 1440P display, 2560x1440, so a 16:9 traditional widescreen aspect ratio with this one. Both laptops have the same tiny MWB high resolution screen problem.

I will get this stuff done soon for you, thank you.

Here you go

Does this happen with/without hardware acceleration?

- I presume you mean the HW acceleration setting in MWB itself, and yes it happens whether on or off. My system also has optimus, and it happens whether either on the intel iGPU or Nvidia discrete GPU. It also happens when I have only the Nvidia GPU enabled, i.e. the system doesn't see the Intel one at all, I can enable g-sync in this mode, etc.

What scaling are you seeing the problems with?

so far 2560x1440

and 2560x1600 native displays

Thanks!

mbst-grab-results.zip LEGION-7I.zip

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I just received my 1st 4k screen and have scaling issue with Malwarebytes. The same as others here. Doesn't help with 100%, all other items on screen goes real small. I have 28 inch and 3840x2160 resolution. That means everything is zoomed to 150 %, but for some reason not MB software.

Attached part of my screen with MB software active. Win 10. The letters that small, not easy to see anything.

ScreenHunter 706.jpg

• Like 1