Duplicate Cleaner

kardmania

the files in quarantine are data, html, and quar file types not supported what is the alternative method to use to supply you with the information?  what is the protocol for safe upload of questionable files?

i am also wondering after 100s of scan with these "threats" present over many years why now are they identified as a problem?

i also wonder if there is any reason not to delete these "threats"?

malwarebytes log report.txt

20 minutes ago, kardmania said:

the files in quarantine are data, html, and quar file types not supported what is the alternative method to use to supply you with the information?  what is the protocol for safe upload of questionable files?

Zipping them first will allow you to attach files.

The log you posted only shows one file detected. Were there any other  files in quarantine that you think are False positives?

Hello,

Thanks for reporting. This is detected by our machine learning engine. You can ignore the detection if you'd like, it's not a severe threat by any means. DuplicateCleaner_Installer.exe contains a potentially unwanted program, a toolbar known as Ask Toolbar.

Hope this clarifies things

Regards

This program does not show up under apps in settings as it was legacy transferred from an older machine.  Is there any reason not to delete the quarantine and related download files?

These files have been present on this machine and the legacy machine since 2011 and did not show up as malware until 100's of scans and 11 years later which seems unusual.  How does this logically make sense?

Thanks so much for your expertise and help.

lightreport-4880c24396c26d8ec6ecc3c2e336c791.zip fad8e848-fa76-11ec-a7f9-000000000000 (2).zip fad8e848-fa76-11ec-a7f9-000000000000.zip

On 7/20/2022 at 9:37 PM, kardmania said:

This program does not show up under apps in settings as it was legacy transferred from an older machine.

You're referring to The Ask Toolbar? Yes perhaps due to the transfer from another computer but some potentially unwanted software behave like this by design (somewhat difficult to remove by normal means).

On 7/20/2022 at 9:37 PM, kardmania said:

These files have been present on this machine and the legacy machine since 2011 and did not show up as malware until 100's of scans and 11 years later which seems unusual.  How does this logically make sense? 1.62 MB · 0 downloads

My understanding is that machine learning is a process that is constantly evolving and fine-tuning itself based off files we analyze daily. When we classify files as good or bad, the machine learning engine is also improved. According to this post, machine learning wasn't introduced into Malwarebytes until June 15, 2017, so it wouldn't have been useful to detect any files that may have been on your computers so many years ago.

I found this article as well which can explain it better than I ever could https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/2018/03/how-artificial-intelligence-and-machine-learning-will-impact-cybersecurity/

Let me know if you have any other questions

Regards

Unfortunately I have been unavailable the past week. 

Thanks for your remarks.

The issue is with a non executed exe.file for duplicate finder and the download file for the same program and has been present for 11 years and escaped detection over many scans each of these years.

Based on my understanding of your remarks the ask toolbar is bundled in this software and poses the risk.  Is this toolbar apt to attack the computer when one tries to delete this file?

Is it safe to delete these folders and files?  If it is not safe please advise the risks and reasoning behind your recommendations.

This same malware is also located on multiple externals and was not discovered by malwarebytes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and clarification.

20 hours ago, kardmania said:

Is this toolbar apt to attack the computer when one tries to delete this file?

Is it safe to delete these folders and files?  If it is not safe please advise the risks and reasoning behind your recommendations.

Hi,

It is safe to let Malwarebytes delete the file in question without issue if you are having difficult removing it manually.

Regards