Windows 11 KB5015814 Failed to install 0x8007007e

Posting my experience in case it helps somebody else.

My PC received Microsoft's new 2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5015814) 

And it failed with this reason:  0x8007007e

I tried again and again, after a sfc /scannow and things like that but still no luck.    Windows failed to update over and over, but I saw on Microsoft's site to disable 3rd party antivirus and Windows Firewall/Windows Defender so I disabled Malwarebytes (all 4 options when right clicking in systray, as well as everything in the settings->security tab) and did the update and it finally went on clean.   Re-enabled Malwarebytes afterward and things are working fine.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

14 minutes ago, danull said:

Posting my experience in case it helps somebody else.

Thanks for the feedback and your experience.

This update has been seen having issues even when Malwarebytes is not even installed. Have seen many reports across the web. It could be just how Malwarebytes interacts with another piece of software on your computer and turning off MB corrected the issue.

I personally had no issues. So this is an inconstant issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks for the feedback and your experience.

This update has been seen having issues even when Malwarebytes is not even installed. Have seen many reports across the web. It could be just how Malwarebytes interacts with another piece of software on your computer and turning off MB corrected the issue.

I personally had no issues. So this is an inconstant issue.

In my case I disabled MS Firewall and Defender at the same time as Malwarebytes so it really could have been either from that point of view.   Those were the only 2 changes I made when I finally got it to apply successfully after at least 10 attempts.    Seemed more probable that it was Malwarebytes and figured I'd post on the off chance it helped anybody because I couldn't find anything on the web for this KBB + this error code combination.    Malwarebytes might be innocent, might be a combo of it + Windows Defender, or might have been Windows Defender's fault...I don't know.  Just wanted to post on off chance somebody else saw the issue & this came in handy for them.

I've couldn't install the optional KB5014668 at the end of June nor KB5015814. I started a thread for each on the MS forum. Today there were several posts about successful installs of KB5015814 after turning off MB. I turned MB off, rebooted and was able to install the update. I agree with Porthos though. I've seen other posts that the install won't work and the user does not have MB installed. I think there are other issues involved in these update failures.

Edited by Phxflyer
  • Like 1

• Root Admin

I was not able to duplicate this issue myself.

Here is my version of Malwarebytes installed, fully updated, and running during the Windows check for updates.

image.png

A Windows check for updates shows the following

image.png

image.png

Start the reboot

image.png

After the reboot

image.png

Checking for updates again, after the reboot

image.png

• Root Admin

You can also try manually downloading the installer for the KB

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5015814

2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5015814)
Last Modified: 7/12/2022
Size: 277.8 MB

2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5015814)
https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2022/07/windows10.0-kb5015814-x64_db4c15264fec1ac8a6794a442a00fe7881337cd3.msu

I had no problems here with this update, and no one off my clients had complains about this.

So i think this is because of some software installed on the computer. My three computers here and my wife had no problems with this.

Also  MWB 4.5.10.200 Premium is installed.

Greetings, Ron

Edited by SPDIF
Forget to mention i use Malwarebytes.

I can confirm that I have the same problem. Windows 11 fails to install KB5015814 with Malwarebytes installed. I manage via the Malwarebytes Nebula platform.

Brute Force Protection: 1.2.0.280
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.603
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.1147
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.57234
Protection service version: 4.5.10.200
Component package version: 1.0.1702
Endpoint Detection and Response: 1.2.0.363
Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Like 1

Obviously this update is installing without a problem for most of the millions of Win 11 users. But there are a good many reporting it is failing. These 2 updates are first time I've had a problem with Windows updates in years. I only post here as in the threads I started on the MS forum there are reports disabling MB allowed the update to succeed (as it did for me). But I highly doubt that is the full answer as some posters say they are not using MB. This is a mystery that I'm afraid will take MS to explain and fix properly.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

@WestM

7 hours ago, WestM said:

I can confirm that I have the same problem. Windows 11 fails to install KB5015814 with Malwarebytes installed. I manage via the Malwarebytes Nebula platform.

Brute Force Protection: 1.2.0.280
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.603
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.1147
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.57234
Protection service version: 4.5.10.200
Component package version: 1.0.1702
Endpoint Detection and Response: 1.2.0.363

As a business customer, if you're having issues affecting your business then I would  highly suggest you create a Business Support Ticket

This link is not for Consumer products. Creating a Business Ticket for the Consumer Product will actually take much longer to get a response as it will be re-queued to the back of the line in the Consumer Support area.

Business Support
https://service.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you have a Consumer Product and need support beyond the help offered here on the Forums then please use the following link

Consumer Support
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks

These steps worked for me, assuming you run as Admin or are Admin:

1. Uninstall MalwareBytes (if applicable)
2. Disable All Microsoft Defender Protections through Windows Security
3. Edit Group Policy (WIN-R, gpedit.msc)

Browse to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Double Click on Turn Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus, then select Enabled, and hit apply.
4. Reboot

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3, then try updating again

6. After Update, undo steps 1-3:

Install MalwareBytes (if applicable)

Edit Group Policy (WIN-R, gpedit.msc)

Browse to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Double Click on Turn Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus, select Not Configured, and hit apply.

Enable All Microsoft Defender Protections through Windows Security

Reboot

I did update Malwarebytes from my computers and my clients to version; 4.5.11.202 and had no problems anymore seen with this version.

Looks like the new version fixed the problems! Thanks Malwarebytes team, for your continuing had work you do for us! 😄

On my laptop there were no problems with the preview or the regular update.  However, on my desktop (Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast) neither would install.  The only thing that worked for me was to complete a Windows 11 Repair Install.  It took around 10-mintes and no issues afterwards.

@Porthos

Thank you for your PMs about the Windows Update KB5015814 failing to install on my Dell XPS 8930 SE desktop computer.  You suggested that Malwarebytes Premium (MBP) might be the cause.  I did quit both Malwarebytes Premium and disable all of my Bitdefender Total Security (BDTS) protection modules, but still the update would fail on the final reboot at about 92% with Error Code: 0x8007054f.

I posted over at Bleeping Computer and then moved on to Sysnative when the standard methods of trying to get a Windows Update to successfully install, failed.  Interestingly, that Windows Update installed flawlessly yesterday on my Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop computer with both MBP and BDTS active.  Like @AdvancedSetup, I cannot explain why that would happen?

My "mistake" was in not disabling MBP from starting with Windows before quitting MBP and starting the update.  I know that on my desktop, MBP is the first program that loads on boot.  Since my problem was occurring after the update had finished its initial 30% install, and then restarted my computer, it was logical to try and see if MBP starting was stopping the Windows Update from completing successfully.  The update always failed at about 92% installed on the reboot, restarted again and again, and finally undid the update.  I would get the message that "Something didn't go as planned.  Don't worry -- undoing the changes.  Please keep your computer on."

The new MBP build did not resolve that problem for me.  I kept trying to install that update until midday Thursday when I went to Sysnative.  I had the new MBP build within hours of it being released on Wednesday.

Some combination of programs and drivers on my desktop, along with MBP, seem to be the likely culprit.  My desktop has a lot more programs than the laptop which is essentially a backup to my desktop in case it fails.  I update the laptop every Friday, image and scan it.

Thank you again for reaching out to me, Porthos.  Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

Just sharing my experience. I had tried installing the KB5015814 LCU from a downloaded copy and from Windows update with both failing with errors like 0x8007007eI had quit Malwarebytes and Turned off Bitdefender Total Security Shield on both of those tries and also on a failed attempt to do an in-place repair upgrade install using a 22000.795 ISO from UUP Dump. That also failed. After reading the above posts and on Windows 11 Forum, I was finally successful as follows:

What I did was uninstall Malwarebytes, turn off Bitdefender Shield, and disconnect my network cable. I was going to turn off the two .net items in Windows Features but the 3.5 wouldn't respond and the 4.8 was not present after the three previous attempts. I then ran the installation from the 22000.795 ISO from UUP Dump (same one that failed to install my original attempt) and it completed the installation OK. I then made a cloned Backup to external USB HDD.
After completing the first backup, and opening Settings I got a notification "Windows Update Attention Needed".
With fingers crossed, I went Windows Update and it wanted to install KB5015814 and I selected Update. It immediately stopped, and indicated that it was up to date, so that part worked OK without really reinstalling KB5015814. I then did two Dot Net Updates and KB4025037 which completed OK. The two Dot Net Features now look like they reinstalled OK.

The only significant differences from my first attempt using the ISO, was that the Internet was disconnected to prevent downloading updates during the install and that Malwarebytes was uninstalled. The only remaining known problem is that the previous attempts messed up the Taskbar Widget, which is no big deal.

There are a myriad of "fixes" that seem to get the KB's in question to install. Some things work for some and not for others. I got it to work by disabling MB at startup, rebooting and it installed successfully through WIndows Update. This does not work for others. A lot of people are placing the blame on MB but even though disabling it worked for me, I'm not convinced that's the whole problem. The in place upgrade seems to work for the most people. It didn't for me.(If you do try the upgrade, make sure you uncheck to download and install updates before you run it.) What I see a lot of people doing is going to extremes with turning .NET framework off, to disconnecting their internet, to spitting in a bowl and praying to a fake idol (that was sarcasm, but you get the idea). This is WAY TOO MUCH to do for the average user. Unless you feel threatened by not having this update, just relax and see if MS comes up with something before the Aug 9 patches. That's just my 2 cents and it's probably worth that much. 

Edited by Phxflyer

I ran into the same issue, and tried all sorts of options, and lots of install/reboot/uninstall/reboot cycles.

What worked for me was opening Malwarebytes, turned off 'Launch Malwarebytes at Startup', then (as other folks had recommended), then disabled .NET 3.5 via the control panel.  The system reboots (at which time Malwarebytes will not be started.)  Then I went to windows update - redownloaded (for the umteenth time <G>) and installed the update.  The update fully installed!!!!  Then after the final restart, I re-enabled the Malwarebytes  'Launch at Startup', and re-enabled .NET 3.5.  At least that worked for me.  Your mileage may vary.

The .NET 3.5 stuff may not be necessary, but since some folks had indicated that could also cause a problem, it was a fairly painless toggle.  The big item appears to be turning off the 'Launch at startup', as apparently that was happening soon enough to interfere with the update process.

Same problem for me & disabling MB & turning off launch at startup, then restarting the laptop worked, then downloading the update from the MS catalogue worked for me. However a new CU preview was released yesterday & these workarounds did not work, I had to disable Net framework 3.5 & do these workarounds to install it.

4 hours ago, shankly1985 said:

Had the same problem since June. After seeing this thread I disabled Malwarebytes protection and restarted the PC the update installed fine afterwards. 

Something has changed between MW and Microsoft since June 

Problems about MW and Windows 11 actually goes beyond these updates. Forza Horizon 5 and many other Xbox Game Pass games sometimes fail to relaunch when I exit them. As soon as I turn off Malwarebytes, they launch just fine. Problem is even more complex than that however, since games themselves cannot be launched if the game installment folder is not placed in the allow list. Adding game folders to allow list do allow them to launch, but relaunch becomes very buggy afterwards, regardless. Sometimes they launch, sometimes they don't. In my case, I can replicate that the relaunch issue completely goes away if I uninstall Mbytes from my system. My suspect is to do with the game exe, directly. These game pass executables cannot even be read by Rivatuner, Steam or any other software. I guess malwarebytes locks the system when it tries to read the file, but read refuses to be read. Its just a wild guess however. 

Forza 5 and Halo Infinite also exhibits more stutters, especially when loading files from the drive. I did a couple tests and I can safely say that Mbytes causes huge slowdowns that causes low %1 lows and stutters while games stream assets despite folders being on asset list. I identified the issue actually, even though games are installed to a specific folder, a seperate place where some files about the games are also stored additionally in deeper places within Windows installation. After I managed to add all those folders, experience became smooth again, with no apparent asset streaming stutters.

I'm not completely putting the blame on MB however. Windows and its weird Xbox app system is weird and gets broken for no reason at all sometimes. I don't know the stuff will ever improve or not though.

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1550078796862296064/photo/1

However probably adding Mbytes on top of of a buggy Xbox/game system probably makes stuff even more complex. I