MALWAREBYTES 4.5.10 stopped installing MS Update KB5015814 on 5 Win11 PCs

As the subject line says today I spent trying to find out why MS Cumulative Update KB5015814 would not install on FIVE of my SEVEN Windows 11 computers.

TWO of my WIndows 11 computers installed the KB5015814 update without issue (MW 4.5.10.200 installed on all seven systems with the same settings).

After trying many troublshooting steps I finally decided to disable Malwarebytes services via the UI Panel and try the update again...BINGO!!!

As soon as I disabled Mawlarebytes 4.5.10.200 services the KB5015814 update installed on all FIVE remaining Windows 11 computers.

The latest version of Malwarebytes was installed on ALL of Windows 11 computers so I can't explain why two of them did the Cumulative update with MW service running

but the other FIVE computers required me to disable MW running services which once accomlished allowed me to install KB5015814 without issue. After installation

I reenabled MW Services again. Again ALL the computers had the SAME version running MW 4.5.10.200 and all the MW settings are the same on all seven Windows 11 computers.

FYI.

Negative. I do not use Bitlocker.

All the systems were fresh install Windows 11 within past month. The two systems that installed the cumulative update with MB services running one was a Windows 11 Pro system with 16GB of RAM.

The other system that installed the cumulative update with MB services running was a Window 11 Home system with only 4GB of RAM.

ALL the FIVE SYSTEMS that could not install the cumulative update with MB services running were Windows 11 Pro Systems with 8GB of RAM (Two different HP System types).

Here's the thread on Microsoft site. My resolution also solved for some others.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/now-kb5015814-wont-install/f881834b-e983-48f9-b531-324d2f4b7d53?page=2&rtAction=1657739482026

• Root Admin

Yes, it's possible that maybe our driver was blocking something underlying that Microsoft was trying to update. Just trying to figure out what since the same driver is on all of your systems which doesn't make a lot of sense why two would work but not the others.

Thank you for the feedback

• Root Admin

I was not able to duplicate this issue myself.

Here is my version of Malwarebytes installed, fully updated, and running during the Windows check for updates.

image.png

A Windows check for updates shows the following

image.png

image.png

Start the reboot

image.png

After the reboot

image.png

Checking for updates again, after the reboot

image.png

Most definitely it was resolved on my systems yesterday with 4.5.10.200 by disabling the MB Services (I had tried five times on the problem systems). Once I disabled the MB services the install went without a hitch on all the systems. But hey...Not all systems are created equal (or something like that)..Thanks for letting me know about the recent MB update (I had checked this AM and it was still 4.5.10.200...Updating systems now.

I can confirm that I have the same problem. Windows 11 fails to install KB5015814 with Malwarebytes installed. I manage via the Malwarebytes Nebula platform.

Brute Force Protection: 1.2.0.280
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.603
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.1147
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.57234
Protection service version: 4.5.10.200
Component package version: 1.0.1702
Endpoint Detection and Response: 1.2.0.363

Some say it's also tied to whether you have .NET 3.5 installed. I DO have that installed (To support programs that need it) on all of my systems.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/now-kb5015814-wont-install/f881834b-e983-48f9-b531-324d2f4b7d53

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-windows-11-update-breaks-as-much-as-it-fixes

Edited by davei1

• Root Admin

@WestM

7 hours ago, WestM said:

I can confirm that I have the same problem. Windows 11 fails to install KB5015814 with Malwarebytes installed. I manage via the Malwarebytes Nebula platform.

Brute Force Protection: 1.2.0.280
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.603
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.1147
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.57234
Protection service version: 4.5.10.200
Component package version: 1.0.1702
Endpoint Detection and Response: 1.2.0.363

As a business customer, if you're having issues affecting your business then I would  highly suggest you create a Business Support Ticket

This link is not for Consumer products. Creating a Business Ticket for the Consumer Product will actually take much longer to get a response as it will be re-queued to the back of the line in the Consumer Support area.

Business Support
https://service.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you have a Consumer Product and need support beyond the help offered here on the Forums then please use the following link

Consumer Support
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I also had KB5015814 installation failure on Windows 11 Pro, because of error 0x8000ffff.
Googling for "kb5015814 install error" took me to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/now-kb5015814-wont-install/f881834b-e983-48f9-b531-324d2f4b7d53

That told me Malwarebytes could have caused it. I disabled startup of my version 4.5.12.204 and rebooted.

Now KB5015814 did finish installing just fine.

Re-enabling Malwarebytes was the finishing touch and it updated normally to 1.0.58377.

All's well that ends well.  egyptian_walk.gif