How do I know if PUP or Adware should be quarantined?

I attached some examples. How do I know which quarantined items I should keep or delete? 

Where can I validate? 

For example, the Advanced Mac Cleaner sounds legit but I have no idea. It shows up twice in the scan.

I appreciate as much detail as you are willing to provide.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 1.36.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 1.37.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 1.37.22 PM.png

First of all, since they are in Quarantine, they can not be used so your first decision needs to be whether or not you want to Restore them. If you decide not to restore and find that moving them there has not broken anything else, then delete all files and directories associated with that PUP.

To help you decide whether or not to keep a PUP, see this blog post https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2016/02/how-to-avoid-potentially-unwanted-programs/.

Although Advanced Mac Cleaner is a legitimate program, most users do not need it and in the hands of an inexperienced user can potentially cause more harm than good. The reason it's listed more than once is because there are several other folders and files associated with it. What's curious to me is that the application itself isn't listed here, so either Malwarebytes for Mac wasn't able to move it to quarantine or you already deleted the app and left behind a number of files and directories associated with it. If you don't see Advanced Mac Cleaner in your Applications folder, then you simply need to delete those associated files and directories.

• Like 1

• Staff

Advanced Mac Cleaner is actually the only PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) that is blocked by the built-in security software on macOS. It's possible macOS actually removed Advanced Mac Cleaner at some point.

Generally speaking, anything identified as malware or adware should be quarantined and removed, unless you have a very good reason to believe it's a false detection (which is actually quite rare with Malwarebytes for Mac). PUPs are more up to you. Removal is our recommendation, of course, because there are reasons that we detect them as such.