Windows Defender disappeared (again)

So in this article (https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/287202-windows-defender-disappeared/#comment-1518489) I thought my problem was fixed because I reinstalled Windows. That wasn't the case. If Maurice (helped in the previous article) can help me that would be great. (for more details about my case go read the article) 

Let me guide you. What I am asking is that you do not make changes or adjustments on your own. These next reports do not make changes. 

In order to begin to help you properly, I will need a diagnostic report in order to review & diagnose.
Specifically the FRST Farbar diagnostic report.  It is safe to get & use. Be very sure you SAVE it first.
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039025013-Run-Farbar-Recovery-Scan-Tool-to-gather-logs

Attach FRST.txt + Addition.txt with your reply.  You may if you wish, ZIP the 2 into a zip file & then attach.
{ just please do not copy, paste their contents in main body of reply box here.)

ALSO

I also would appreciate this report:

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
    Windows Firewall
    System Restore
    Security Center/Action Center
    Windows Update
    Windows Defender
    Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.  

Not sure how you had gone about "installing Windows 10" BUT there is a restriction in the settings about Microsoft Defender antivirus. It is very very odd to see that if a real clean setup was done. That restriction needs removal, AND lots more re-checking to be done. 

Run this procedure. 

This custom script is for  HikaruDinos  only / for this machine only.

Be very sure to Save any work-files you have open at this point. Close & Save any open edits, if any. Next, a custom script to do  checks & some  cleanups. 

We will use FRST64  on the Downloads  folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

NOTE-1:  This script will  re-check on Microsoft Defender & make sure it is up-to-date & do insure one old exclusion path is removed from exclusion. It will also rebuild the Winsock + also run SFC & DISM checks.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt      <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on FRST64  and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. 
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity. Stick with me.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

( SFC ) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
We are NOT done. Stick with me. There is still some oddities.
Need other status information about 3 services. This here will not take much time to do.  I'd like a readout report.

On the Windows taskbar ,  on the Windows search box,  type in

cmd.exe

and then look at the entire list of choices, and click on Run as Administrator.

Once the Command prompt window is up,   copy > paste the line in the codebox below into the command-window

It is best to  use COPY & Paste for the following.  All of each line as-is

echo > 0 & sc queryex wscsvc >> 0 & sc queryex securityhealthservice >> 0 & sc queryex windefend >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

tap Enter when ready.   These are queries only.  Then attach or paste the contents of the file 0

Here it is:

ECHO is on.
[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

ECHO is on.

Go very careful. Slow and deliberate. We need to be sure to get this right. 

Next step is to   get  4 Registry files for 4 Windows Services.

Securityhealthservice 

Windefend. ( Microsoft Defender Antivirus service )

Windows Update Service 

Windows Security Center service

RIGHT click the link with your mouse-pointer and select SAVE ...link as.... & guide the folder for saving to a folder ( do not double click / do not 'run' the file / nor open

Windows 10 Windows Update service

Once it is saved, then we are needing to merge the files onto the system, as follows

With you mouse, do a RIGHT-click on the file wuauserv.reg and select Merge

Let it do that & insure it finishes ok.

Now need to do similar download, save, Merge for each of the other 3 services.

Microsoft Defender Antivirus service 

Save, then Merge Windefend.reg

Windows 10 Windows Security Center service

Save, then Merge Wscsvc.reg

win 10 SecurityHealthService 

Save. Then do a Merge with this reg file.

[ NEXT ]

Now do a Windows RESTART.

After Windows is restarted, just please take a visual look at the display of Windows Security.

Alright. Let us see about all that. 

Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus :

Just want to do a visual check in Windows Security to see (visually) that Microsoft Defender is on , and to do a Custom scan.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

I am not sure that you went entirely to where I intended. Close that window. Lets make time to do this. It may take many hours to finish. 

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select  CUSTOM scan  & then select the C drive to be scanned.

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. Once you start the scan & you see it started, then leave it be.  

• Once you see it has started, take a long long break;  walk away.  Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display.  The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.
  • Again, any on-screen display about repeat 'infection' is not to be relied on.  Ignore those.
  • We only rely on the end result that is on the log-report-file.

This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply. We will do more later.

I would would like to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience.

AFTER you have finished the above ^^^^ I think we need to do what  had to be done before in similar situations on other cases.

Start Windows in SAFE Mode  ( see this guide) https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

Then we need to ( one more time) Merge the same registry files I had you save from earlier. This time they are already saved on your machine.

do a RIGHT-click on the file wuauserv.reg and select Merge

Let it do that & insure it finishes ok.

RIGHT-Click then Merge Windefend.reg

RIGHT-click then Merge Wscsvc.reg

RIGH_click on Windows_Security_Service.reg and then MERGE it.

After all 4 are completed / merged, then RESTART Windows back to normal mode.

From the Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

image.png.53b8290f51fb52ad1f67f2be5d1a7198.png

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

image.thumb.png.770ff10e37da546f33963da571bd3378.png

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

By the way, when you see a green check-mark on your display, it means a good status and that protection is on. 

image.thumb.png.d3c40d161bda6630f463e83ce53f9782.png 

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" which I have highlighted with a blue icon.

You can click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options. ( You can do Quick, Full, or Custom).

NOTE: If you have the time / opportunity, select a Custom scan & scan the C drive   ( one time as a safety check ).

image.thumb.png.1bfbd5b3023eeabe0dbea2025a5fa556.png

NOTE: On this last screen, be sure to review the section on Exclusions to be sure that nothing of the path, process, or file /folder exclusions are ones that you yourself did not place there on your own.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

7 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I would would like to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience.

I can't do updates it shows an error message

8 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Have much patience.

image.png.4f0feedd32491dda9a676ebd4515182b.png

Backup your personal data and then do a CLEAN install of Windows. Yes, a clean new setup is the safest for the long-term.

Use the following guide to go about a clean new Windows install/setup

Greg Carmack - MVP 2010-2020 -Clean Install Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

How to Create a Local Account While Setting Up Windows 10
https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you