PICBASIC PRO rar detected and quarantined as malware.

MeghansUncle

I chose to save the results of the scan as "quarantined.txt"  and the file scanned was "PBP - 3.0.10.rar".  Both files are attached.  Can someone please verify whether or not this is safe to unpack and use?  I don't have a clue how to validate Malwarebytes' findings, and I certainly don't want to infect my machine.

PBP - 3.0.10.rar quarantined.txt

2 hours ago, MeghansUncle said:

Can someone please verify whether or not this is safe to unpack and use? 

Being this is an crack we consider any crack a risk to your PC. Malwarebytes not evaluate them because of their nature.

Our policy for illegal cracks is use at your own risk.

Many other vendors detect this as well. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c7238db605bf41b7eead03f556df1e1dcab597c276496b09a56b294cac73f45f?nocache=1

Thank you for this.  So MeLabs cracked the installer and/or other things and is profiting from it now?  I don't understand?  If they are a legitimate vendor, why is there code/installer considered a crack?  I have zero interest in using software that is in any way pirated.

• Staff

The sample that is detected isn't from Picbasic Pro, but a crack instead. This is what it says in there:

"1. Download and install PICBASIC PRO 3.0.10 from official website
2. Install it, by default it installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3\
3. extract the crack folder you will find meLabsReg.exe
4. copy meLabsReg.exe from crack folder
5. past it to its installed foler by default it installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3\
6. Register with anything.
7. Enjoy."

Sidenote, most of these are also bundled with Malware.

Edited by miekiemoes