Mbamservice Service Resource Utilization

Recently I've noticed a major slowdown on my Windows 10 PC and that mbamservice is using 80% of RAM and 65% of CPU. When I open the MalwareBytes application there is no active scan running and no updates downloading/installing. The mbamservice service resource utilization persists from startup to shutdown, at times making other programs like Microsoft Word and Chrome inoperable. I'm running MalwareBytes premium version 4.5.9.198

4 minutes ago, nithre said:

Recently I've noticed a major slowdown on my Windows 10 PC and that mbamservice is using 80% of RAM and 65% of CPU. When I open the MalwareBytes application there is no active scan running and no updates downloading/installing. The mbamservice service resource utilization persists from startup to shutdown, at times making other programs like Microsoft Word and Chrome inoperable. I'm running MalwareBytes premium version 4.5.9.198

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

I ran the tool and received the message "mbst-grab-results.zip can be found on your desktop." However, there is no such file on my desktop. I searched my entire C:\ drive for the file and it's nowhere to be found. I tried running three different times after rebooting.    

1 minute ago, nithre said:

I ran the tool and received the message "mbst-grab-results.zip can be found on your desktop." However, there is no such file on my desktop. I searched my entire C:\ drive for the file and it's nowhere to be found. I tried running three different times after rebooting.    

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Okay, seeing this in your system, my advice is to back up all your personal data then delete C: drive partition and do a Clean install of Windows.

Task: {28DB6A7C-0B75-418A-B7D8-05AF2AF8D7F9} - System32\Tasks\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tray Icon => C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\WR_Tray_Icon.exe [220816 2019-09-30] (Tweaking LLC -> Tweaking.com)

Any computer that had to resort to running that tool was a last-ditch effort to save data. The registry, the permissions, etc. of the computer are now compromised and are not even close to recommended default permissions, etc. How the computer runs undercover via events cannot be considered safe or valid.

I'm sorry but it's just a waste of time on trying to fix a computer that has run this tool in my opinion.

Here is what I advise you to do so that you have a good, safe, well-working computer. Right now you have an untrusted and unknown setup of Windows

Greg Carmack - MVP 2010-2020 -Clean Install Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

How to Create a Local Account While Setting Up Windows 10
https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

If this is a paid version of Malwarebytes and you don't have another computer to run it on then I'd suggest you submit for a refund, or do a clean install of Windows and then reinstall Malwarebytes where it will once again work properly.

Thanks @nithre

On 6/1/2022 at 6:05 PM, Porthos said:

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

13 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If this is a paid version of Malwarebytes and you don't have another computer to run it on then I'd suggest you submit for a refund, or do a clean install of Windows and then reinstall Malwarebytes where it will once again work properly.

Thanks @nithre

I don't have another computer, just one. How would I go about submitting for a refund as you suggested? 

13 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Task: {28DB6A7C-0B75-418A-B7D8-05AF2AF8D7F9} - System32\Tasks\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tray Icon => C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\WR_Tray_Icon.exe [220816 2019-09-30] (Tweaking LLC -> Tweaking.com)

Any computer that had to resort to running that tool was a last-ditch effort to save data. The registry, the permissions, etc. of the computer are now compromised and are not even close to recommended default permissions, etc. How the computer runs undercover via events cannot be considered safe or valid.

I scanned the program with Malwarebytes immediately after download (also had real time protection running) and nothing was detected for this program. 

• Root Admin

If you'd like to submit for a refund, please fill out the form from the link below to create a support ticket.

Consumer Support
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

NOTE: It may take 5 to 7 workdays before you get a reply, but rest assured that someone will assist you when your ticket comes up in the queue

Just let them know that we advised you on the forums that rebuilding your computer with a Clean Reinstall of Windows was the best advice and that you'd like a refund.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you