Some Windows services have had odd numbered added at the end

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Good evening

Not sure what is going on, I performed a successful Macrium Reflect disk image backup this evening, went to my task manager to check if the Volume Shadow Service had stopped

I noticed that I had duplicate services listed in the task manager, when you open the services app in the  Windows Administration Tools the service with odd number at the end seem to have replaced the original service

I ran a SFC scannow, had no integrity violations. Defender,  Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner showed no threats

Gathered MBSupport logs, just in case

Any help on what's going on and possible fixes would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time 

Screenshot 2022-05-27 222642.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 222431.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 222233.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 221843.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 221750.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 221620.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 221515.png

Screenshot 2022-05-27 221323.png

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Solution

Hello.
Those displays of service with what seen like 'odd suffixes' ( like 5ff47 ) are in fact Per-user Services in Windows.
See this Microsoft document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/per-user-services-in-windows

and this very extensive discussion thread on Microsoft Answers https://bit.ly/3wNgkJW

• Like 1

Good Morning, Maurice

Thank you for the reply

I did not know that about Per-user services

When I had finished my disk image, Macrium Reflect stated it was shutting down the Volume Shadow Service, I got the finish button, closed the GUI

the hard drive started reading and read for around 30 minutes, that was when I checked the Task Manager Services section 

I have only opened the Task Manager on occasion to check for Processes to see what was running in the past

Thank you for your help and time

Hello. You are welcome. I have a suggestion which I offer to everyone. I would highly suggest to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience.

This here is for tools cleanup. 

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log may open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.  I do not need it. Just close Notepad if it shows up.

Delete mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

I wish you all the best.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you