Windows Virus & Threat protection won't open

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

You can obtain the latest MS Defender antivirus definitions by going to this Microsoft link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates
Scroll down to section "Manually download the update"
Scroll down to the table
to the line "Microsoft Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1"

This specific machine is 64-bit, so you want to click on the column "64-bit"
Save the file first  ( keeping in mind just where it is saved)
The file is named mpam-feX64.exe
Launch mpam-feX64.exe to apply the update.

• Solution

These next steps can be referred to as a repair-install in place.
If this machine is a laptop or notebook, be sure it is connected to power thru a regular power cord to regular electric power.
( that is to say, not be on battery power).

1. Back up your personal data and files to an external hard drive, USB thumb drive.
2. Restart Windows.
3. Ensure you are signed in or have administrator rights to do a repair install
4. Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting. { unplug printers, copyers, fax machines, if any)

Download the media creation tool MCT    (Click Download tool now) and save it to your computer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After it is completely saved.
Start the tool and select "Upgrade this PC now."

Make sure to select " Keep personal files and apps. "

It will take some time to run & complete. Your computer will restart a few times, Make sure you don’t turn off your PC
If you see a dark screen at times, do not fret.  Just simply move the mouse pointer around the screen or press the space bar to trigger a screen display refresh.

Hoping for success. Posting this just in case & because I need to run errands. If a 'problem' crops up, leave the machine As Is and wait for my guidance. Please just do not go off doing something on your own. Remember, Malwarebytes program is still protecting this machine.

• Like 1

Omg, I think it actually worked, my windows defender is showing now and everything seems to be working fine inside it. I thought it might not, because i did a repair-install before i did a factory reset and then it didn't work. Also i have no problem with updates, all of them are now done and i'm up to date.

Do not go away. Stick with me. We have to do some additional checks. {{ and please, stay away from 'factory reset' . That is a measure of very very very Last resort. }}.

Meanwhile, I have to recheck my notes, then, I will have you do a short script, to recheck system.

• Like 1

This custom script is for  Yourmom321  only / for this machine only.

Be very sure to Save any work-files you have open at this point. Close & Save any open edits, if any. Next, a custom script to do  checks & some  cleanups. 

We will use FRSTENGLISH  on the Downloads  folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

NOTE-1:  This script will  re-check on Microsoft Defender & make sure it is up-to-date & do one Quick Scan. It will also get a status check on services.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt       <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity. Stick with me.

OK. Statuses look normal. Good to see.
Take some time and recheck on Windows Security. Insure all is in good shape. Maybe even do a Quick Scan on your own.
Next,
Do a new Scan with Malwarebytes. Let me know the results.
Next,
when you get caught up, do a Backup of this system to offline storage, Backup is your best friend.
Also,

I would recommend getting a report on the update status of some key apps.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Hello. Thank you. This report is all perfect. yay 😁 

This here is for tools cleanup. 

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log may open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.  I do not need it. Just close Notepad if it shows up.

Delete mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

I wish you all the best. Let me know if you need something else.

You are very welcome 

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

SAFETY TIPS:

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html

Only using the Standard-access-level user account when surfing and downloading / installing would have been a tremendous way to prevent the infections of this machine.

Don't remove ( or change )  your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"  

Stay safe.

Since this issue is resolved the topic will now be closed to prevent others from posting here.

For all other readers: If you need assistance please start your own new topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

Thanks