Support Tool Bugging

Noticed that the tray icon was not showing up sometimes, so I ran the Support Tool to fix it.  I've had to do this before years back, so I know what I'm supposed to see.  Anyway, downloaded the tool, started it up, selected no ticket, Protection, repair, and then selected the wrong "what is the problem" option.  I selected Keeps Crashing, but meant to hit Other.  So I hit back, selected Other, and then the Support Tool went unresponsive and had to close.  Reopened it, this time it ran as expected.  It uninstalled MBAM created the file that had my settings... and then opened my browser for a uninstall survey.  Never seen this before, but I haven't had to use this tool since 2018 or so. 

History says:  

https://links.malwarebytes.com/exitSurvey/Uninstall_Teams?utm_source=INPRODUCT&utm_medium=Expt&utm_campaign=EXPT44&utm_content=TPrem&progver=4.5.9&cuver=1.0.1676

which seems to redirect to:

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6730920/User-survey?utm_source=INPRODUCT&utm_medium=Expt&utm_campaign=EXPT44&utm_content=TPrem&progver=4.5.9&cuver=1.0.1676

I closed the browser.

Given that it was your site that it opened, I'm assuming this is legit.  Just struck me as odd.

Any event, the tool worked as intended, it opened the installer, reinstalled MBAM, the tray icon showed up, same with desktop icon, files are where they should be and everything functions, and MBAM opened up as it is supposed to.  Installer read as Done.  So I went to close the  installer, only for it to freeze, go unresponsive, then close.

The support tool says that the installation was cancelled, but it very clearly installed it given that it relaunched properly, and the support tool does recognize that it is currently there when launched--just like it recognizes that MB VPN isn't.

Seems like this is just a minor glitch given my experience with the tool.  Where you close the installer after it has reinstalled MBAM, then do the same to Support tool. 

Thoughts?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

4 minutes ago, EAngev said:

Noticed that the tray icon was not showing up sometimes

Could you do the following.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

6 minutes ago, EAngev said:

Still want to know if anyone has seen those errors

The errors have been reported a few times.

6 minutes ago, EAngev said:

or the survey? 

The survey is legit.

If you had went straight to the advanced tab on the left, you would have not had the survey.

Edited by Porthos

So, found anything?

I got curious and checked event viewer.  Noticed something odd.

Event ID 7045

a service was installed in the system

service name: mbamchameleon

service file name: system32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys

service mode type: kernel mode driver

service start type: auto start

followed by

Event ID 6

file system filter 'mbamchameleon' (10.0, 2022-03-17t20:08:17.000000000z) has successfully loaded and registered with filter manager

Struck me as odd because prior to running the support tool, I saw the last one (event 6) when the computer would boot, and only saw the former when there was an update.  I'm guessing this is part of an update?

5 minutes ago, EAngev said:

Struck me as odd because prior to running the support tool, I saw the last one (event 6) when the computer would boot, and only saw the former when there was an update.  I'm guessing this is part of an update?

The Driver was reinstalled with the support tool reinstall.

I might not have been as clear as I thought.  Prior to running the tool, my event log only logged event 6 on boot up. AFTER I ran it, every time I boot the computer I get both events 7045 and 6.  If what you say is true, it sounds like its reinstalling the driver every boot.

• Root Admin

Please run the following tool and get me new logs to review.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

The computer is not exactly infected but is very old - 2012

It needs some general clean-up work that I can help you do if you'd like. Let me know and I'll work on creating a script to get us going @EAngev

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following

• Bonjour
  • CCleaner

Thanks

When you say not exactly infected, I'm guessing you mean age-related file corruption?  No malware or the like?

Also, just to be clear, relating back to my earlier posts, it isn't weird to be seeing event id 7045 for mbamchameleon--ie the driver installing--every time the computer boots?  This is not an issue to be concerned with, even though I didn't see this prior to running the support tool?  It can install do this on every boot and there is nothing to worry about?  The self protection module is functioning as intended, that I don't need to alter anything like turning on Early launch?

As for the maintenance/cleanup, what are we talking about here?  SFC? DISM?  Not asking for you to begin working on a script immediately, just an idea as to what I'm looking at?