Windows Defender has stopped working since Malwarebytes premium expired

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello all, I have already posted about this on the microsoft forums but since my problem relates to Malwarebytes maybe this forum would be able to help as well. I have Windows 10.

I previously had Malwarebytes premium for a year but decided to not renew it because Windows Defender would be sufficient. Since Malwarebytes reverted to the free version, windows virus and threat protection has stopped and it cannot be restarted. Below is what it looks like.

Clicking the "Restart now" button causes it to load for around a minute before saying it was unable to do this because a problem occurred (error message shown below).

I've tried multiple things to fix this. I used Malwarebytes' uninstaller tool to remove it, so that there is no other antivirus on my PC as far as I know, but this did not fix it. I ran an SFC scan, it said it fixed some missing/corrupted files but it didn't fix the problem. I ran DISM, again didn't solve the issue. I quite urgently need some fixes to this, because obviously a non-functioning Defender isn't exactly great. At this point I am thinking I should just factory reset my PC, but I don't even know if that would solve the problem.

Hello :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will guide you. If you have an active case with the Microsoft Answers please provide me a link to your posts. It is important to collect a snapshot using the Malwarebytes support tool. I will guide you to that. But please first, we need all detail about just how you had done 

I used Malwarebytes' uninstaller tool to remove it,

Was that the tool "mb-support-1.8.x.xxx.EXE ?  or some other one ? I want to be sure we know what & how it was used.

First report: this does not make changes. 

In order to begin to help you properly, I will need a diagnostic report in order to review & diagnose.
Specifically the FRST Farbar diagnostic report.  It is safe to get & use. Be very sure you SAVE it first.
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039025013-Run-Farbar-Recovery-Scan-Tool-to-gather-logs

Attach FRST.txt + Addition.txt with your reply.  You may if you wish, ZIP the 2 into a zip file & then attach.
{ just please do not copy, paste their contents in main body of reply box here.)

By the way, getting Microsoft Defender back on with all protections is very possible. Stick with me, and do not make changes on your own without first checking with me here.

I also would appreciate this report:

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
    Windows Firewall
    System Restore
    Security Center/Action Center
    Windows Update
    Windows Defender
    Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.  

Thank you, James. I see that FRST reports that MS Defender is enabled, as does the FSS report as well. MS Defender is present. I also see one of its services is running. Stick with me.
I need to do one more data collection for gathering, if at all possible, logs of the Malwarebytes app.

For the purpose of clearing view space on the monitor & Desktop view, see about Closing apps that have windows open.
I do see this pc has the support tool mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe on the Downloads folder. Following report will run for a few minutes. Have patience.

Launch mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Once you start it click Advanced >>> then   Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply

Thank you so much. Stick with me. Hold on. Will review and get back with you soon for a round to get MS Defender all on. Tell me though, when did you first "uninstall" Malwarebytes ?  and why did you choose to use the support tool, rather than (a) just going thru the Malwarebytes GUI and just turning off its start with Windows, or even (b) just do a Uninstall thru the normal Control Panel >>Programs and Features ?

Just curious as to the sequence that you used. When did the premium lapse ? and how long after did you attempt the uninstall?

Premium ran out yesterday night, so this all took affect when I opened my computer this morning. Well, to be more specific, the malwarebytes app on my PC wasn't updating to the fact that my premium had lapsed, so I manually deactivated it. That all happened around midday, around 6 hours ago. I uninstalled it a few hours ago because many solutions that I read online to similar problems said that sometimes its due to a previous antimalware program messing with things still. I did at first uninstall it through the control panel, but then read online that many antimalware services will still leave some stuff behind unless using the uninstall tool online. After reading that, I downloaded the support tool (because that is what I read online should be used), redownloaded malwarebytes just to scan my system again to make absolutely sure there wasn't some malware screwing things up, then after that scan I used the tool to uninstall it. 

Thank you. 

This custom script is for  JamesHelpWindowsDefender  only / for this machine only.

Be very sure to Save any work-files you have open at this point. Close & Save any open edits, if any. Next, a custom script to do  check on MS Defender and its related services.

We will use FRST64  on the Downloads  folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run checks on MS Defender and see about setting them to standard default. It will update MS Defender and attempt to do a quick scan.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt        <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on FRST64   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity. Stick with me.

@JamesHelpWindowsDefender When you get a chance, get on the topic you have at Microsoft Answers & advise Carlo TJ that you are getting help here.

We want to be sure that there is no unintended over-stepping.

Thanks for the log. Will review. At this time, just bring up the Windows Security GUI of Windows and take a new look.

We can get this resolved here. I just want to be sure that your decision is to stick here and put the MS help-case at Ms Answers on hold. Let me know which. Yes, there are some status issues still to go for Defender, and it may well be that there is a Windows Update issue as well.

{ which I can help you with here)

Date: 2022-04-23 12:43:58
Description: 
Microsoft Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.
New security intelligence Version: 1.363.824.0
Previous security intelligence Version: 1.363.448.0
Update Source: User
Security intelligence Type: AntiVirus
Update Type: Delta
Current Engine Version: 1.1.19200.5
Previous Engine Version: 1.1.19100.5
Error code: 0x80509004
Error description: An unexpected problem occurred. 

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Allow me a bit of time. Meanwhile, no free wheeling web surfing. No games online or offline. I'll get back with you on a new special run. But meanwhile, try one time for MS Windows Update to see what shows.

I would suggest to insure that this pc is all up-to-date with security updates & cumulative updates on Windows. select the Windows Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update . and click Check for Updates.
Have much patience. and if there is a failure, I need for you to jot down the whole Code of the error, as well as the description.

Thank you.  wow.

This custom script is for  JamesHelpWindowsDefender  only / for this machine only.

Be very sure to Save any work-files you have open at this point. Close & Save any open edits, if any. Next, a custom script to do  check on MS Defender and its related services.

We will use FRST64  on the Downloads  folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run checks on MS Defender and see about setting them to standard default. It will update MS Defender and attempt to do a quick scan. It will see about insuring MS Defender is updated & all on as it should be,  It will do a new run of SFC & DISM to recheck the system. It will rebuild the Winsock.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt       <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on FRST64   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity. Stick with me.

Looks like a stubborn case. Still not showing the latest engine ( definitions package) for Defender. 

The following lists the steps to do a manual ( on-demand ) update of the definitions of the Windows 10' Microsoft Defender antivirus.
Your Windows is a 64-bit one.  The gist of the steps is to download the 64-bit update package AND save it, when done, to run that exe file.
Go to this link at Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates/

Scroll down to section "Manually download the update". Look down to the table with list of 7 lines.
Only look at the first line "Microsoft Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1".
Then click the blue-color link for "64-bit".
Be sure to SAVE the file.
After that completes, go to where you saved the file mpam-fe.exe
Then double-click on mpam-fe.exe to start the update.

IF there is still an issue about Microsoft Defender, then let's get this system set to standard default for a Windows 10 with Microsoft Defender as the resident active antivirus. 

There will be 3 downloads, each one to be saved first, before applying.
 download, save, Merge for each of the other 3 services.

RIGHT click each link with your mouse-pointer and select SAVE ...as.... & guide the folder for saving to a folder ( do not double click / do not 'run' the file / nor open

win 10 SecurityHealthService 

With you mouse, do a RIGHT-click on the .reg file  and select Merge

Let it do that & insure it finishes ok.

[ 2 ]

Windows 10 Windows Security Center service

Save, then Merge Wscsvc.reg

[  3   ]

Microsoft Defender Antivirus service 

Save, then Merge Windefend.reg

[ 4 ]

Now do a Windows RESTART.

After Windows is restarted, just please take a visual look at the display of Windows Security.

4 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

There will be 3 downloads, each one to be saved first, before applying.
 download, save, Merge for each of the other 3 services.

RIGHT click each link with your mouse-pointer and select SAVE ...as.... & guide the folder for saving to a folder ( do not double click / do not 'run' the file / nor open

win 10 SecurityHealthService 

Sorry, these instructions have really confused me. Do you mean I should right-click on the link in your reply? When I do that, this is what comes up.image.png.1ff4361144386f0ab8ef1f753d0614bd.png

Do I click "Save link as"? 

Also, "& guide the folder for saving to a folder ( do not double click / do not 'run' the file / nor open". I'm unsure of what you mean here. As in I should make a folder just for these three files?