Definitions not updating

I too have an older computer and still running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - v 2.2.1.1043 and just until recently was able to update the Definitions on a daily basis

I too tried updating the DATABASE - but it comes back with :

"Unable to access update server "

So I guess maybe Malwarebytes have discontinued such access for me and others still on my older version 

I am not sure my older computer would be able to install the latest version so I guess I am stuck with Windows 7 / Malwarebytes V 2  ?????

Can Malwarebytes possibly correct this please for us "oldies" who are still loyal to this product

THANK YOU :)

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Good day, @rickoz

Windows 7 without the SHA updates should still run this older version. Please uninstall your current version and try to download and install this version.

Malwarebytes for Windows 4 legacy build
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_sha-1

Can you explain what you mean by "Windows 7 without the SHA updates?"
I believe most of us still running on w7 should have already had the SHA2 update patches installed.

Please advise.

• Root Admin
34 minutes ago, anon743 said:

Can you explain what you mean by "Windows 7 without the SHA updates?"
I believe most of us still running on w7 should have already had the SHA2 update patches installed.

Please advise.

Yes, you would think so @anon743 but I've run into so many people that have never updated or turned updates off, etc. for one reason or another. In fact so many that I finally got tired of telling people one by one how to update their Windows 7 computer that I broke down and wrote an article about it.

If you've updated that's fantastic - consider yourself one that is way ahead of the curve on that.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:53 PM, rickoz said:

I too have an older computer and still running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - v 2.2.1.1043 and just until recently was able to update the Definitions on a daily basis ... I am not sure my older computer would be able to install the latest version so I guess I am stuck with Windows 7 / Malwarebytes V 2  ?????

Hi rickoz:

Please see AdvancedSetup's 26-May-2022 post in anon743's MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates After May 19 which notes that MBAM v2.x will no longer receive definition updates due to new digital certificate requirements.  This means you will have to upgrade to a newer version of Malwarebytes.

Does your Win 7 OS have Service Pack 1 (SP1) (see the Computer Hope article <here>) and have you installed the KB4474419 update (rel. 23-Sep-2019) that adds support for SHA-2 code signing of digital certificates to Win 7 SP1?  If you aren't sure go to Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and search for KB4474419.  When searching, enter the full KB number in the search box (e.g., search for "KB4474419" and not a partial string like "4474419"). Note that AdvancedSetup posted a set of "abbreviated" instructions on 05-Jun-2021 in murph's thread Now MBAM Wants a Microsoft Security Update that is intended for Win 7 SP1 users who already have most of the Windows security updates released prior to end of support on 14-Jan-2020 and just want to install KB4474419.

If KB4474419 is installed and your Win 7 SP1 OS supports SHA-2 code signing you likely meet all the system requirements for the latest version of Malwarebytes v4.5.x (currently v4.5.9.198, full offline installer available at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline).  If KB4474419 is not installed see AdvancedSetup's post <above> about the Malwarebytes v4.x legacy build.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v100.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1676 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Like 1