MBAM 2.2.1: No Definitions Updates after May 19

57 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @CaptainCrash:

What uninstall method was used to remove MBAM 2?

How to Deactivate or transfer Malwarebytes license key in My Account.

Is the lifetime license registered in MyAccount?

When activation of the license was attempted, can you please directly quote what you saw in an MB4 error notification box? Did you see an error code?

Alternatively, some may attach a screenshot to their reply for maximum clarity.

Thank you.

Thanks for your response.  I uninstalled MBAM 2.2 via the usual Windows uninstall tool.  I didn't think to deactivate the licence first.  I did try logging into MyAccount, but none of my details were recognised.  

I am away from the PC this afternoon, but will upload a screenshot of the error message later this evening.  

2 hours ago, CaptainCrash said:

I've uninstalled 2.2 and installed the latest version, but it won't accept my lifetime licence key.  God knows when or where I purchased it, as it would have been about 15 year ago.  I had the key saved in a Notepad document, but that's it.

Hi CaptainCrash:

Further to P1W's comment <above>, also keep in mind that old-style product keys have two parts, an ID and key:
     ID:  xxxxx
     Key: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (mix of 16 letters and numbers)

while the newer product keys do not require an ID:
     Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (mix of 20 letters and numbers)

When I purchased my Win 10 laptop in 2019 I created a Malwarebytes Account as instructed at Create and Manage Your Malwarebytes Account and opened a Helpdesk support ticket at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to have my old-style product key switched to a newer product key.  The process was complicated by the fact that the email address I had given Cleverbridge back in 2011 when I purchased my lifetime (perpetual) license was no longer valid and didn't match the email address I used when I created my Malwarebytes Account, but the Helpdesk eventually got everything working again.

As P1W suggested <here>, I always have the Security | Windows Security Center | Always Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center setting DISABLED on my Win 10 machine to ensure that Microsoft Defender (or what ever third-party antivirus I might prefer) is still recognized as my primary real-time protection program.

88415662_MBv4_5_9SettingsSecurityWIndowsSecurityCenterDisabeled27May2022.png.276f1fad03b0e6c10e954e8e726c467a.png

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v100.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1676 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6758
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

Posted (edited)

CaptainCrash, what Imari said is correct.  Back then the license key formats were confusing and if you still have the two-part key then things are likely to be more problematic.

I also remember that, some 6-7 years ago, lifetime license keys were not too emphasized by customers until after MB scrapped this key scheme.  As a result many customers rushed to online vendors like eB to get as many as possible.  I too have once approached an eB vendor but eventually didn't go ahead, upon learning that the lifetime keys being offered were of the two-part format.

It's a pity that I couldn't obtain as many one-part keys when I had the chance.   I still have a few, but all of them have been assigned to different machines (one per mach machine, no repeated use).  I do believe the v2.2.1 key that I'm still using on my old XP desktop should transition to v3.5.1 without issue, as I was once forced-upgraded to v3.x and the same key was validated under v3.x.

Having said that, newer versions of the MB software employ even stricter license management policies to the dislike of many (even if they're following the license policies).  I just hope one day MB would re-introduce lifetime licenses to all potential customers at a reasonable price.

I'll be transitioning to v3.5.1 in just a couple of days, after I've taken note of the previous v2.2.1 user settings etc.  Hope v3.5.1 won't mess up my XP systems in the long run......

Edited by anon743

• Root Admin

All legitimate lifetime licenses whether in dual ID/KEY or the single key will be honored. You will need to submit some form of proof of purchase though if you have not previously done so or are not currently using a valid My Account page. Simply having a key is not proof of purchase.

If you do need licensing assistance please create a support ticket as no one on the forums can assist you with licensing issues.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainCrash said:

I uninstalled MBAM 2.2 via the usual Windows uninstall tool.

Hello @CaptainCrash:

Due to the longtime shortcomings of the Microsoft Windows uninstaller, Malwarebytes' major consumer products typically have their own unique uninstaller.

Such is the case with the MBAM 2 product which should be using the older MBAM Clean Removal Process tool.

Note: The above tool should not be used for the MB3/MB4 products. In the case of MB3/MB4 products, the Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) should always be used for a complete uninstall.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW
Corrected font issue

@1PW Thank you I will use the removal tool as you suggested.  I fear this is unlikely to resolve the licensing issue though.  I seem to remember buying the lifetime licence back in around 2007/2008, but I don't remember ever setting up an account with MBAM, and have no record of the purchase now.

11 hours ago, CaptainCrash said:

So, is there a list of AV products and OSs that the newer versions are confirmed to work along side?

A partial list only of products that have issues.Not every AV has been tested. I can say if using Windows 8-11 it does run well alongside Defender.

Many compatibility issues can be corrected with mutual exclusions by creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it)..

3 hours ago, CaptainCrash said:

I fear this is unlikely to resolve the licensing issue though.

Hello @CaptainCrash:

Trust us.

For now, do you have a separate record of your Malwarebytes lifetime license's Key/ID for safe keeping?

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

17 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @CaptainCrash:

Trust us.

For now, do you have a separate record of your Malwarebytes lifetime license's Key/ID for safe keeping?

Thank you.

Hi @1PW

Yes, I have three licences in a Notepad document.  These must have been for two of my own machines, and one of a friend who's PC is no longer active.

• Root Admin

@1PW

We cannot assist users' with licensing issues here on the forums. There are way too many variables involved and we don't have access to the back end systems to verify.

For all licensing issues, please create a support ticket and someone will be happy to assist you.

Consumer Support
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you

• Like 1

I'd just like to thank the Admins and Trusted Advisers for their help on the problem. Also thanking anon743 for raising the issue, without which I'd still be in the dark blindly trying to update the database.

• Like 6

If anyone following this thread has a Win XP or Vista OS, please note that Malwarebytes employee Erix has pinned a FAQ at the top of this Malwarebytes for Windows board called Malwarebytes 4 FAQs that has a section titled Malwarebytes Support for Legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems.  This section of the FAQ has a download link for the legacy Malwarebytes v3.5.1 for Win XP/Vista (https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy) and information about ongoing protection updates. To date, Malwarebytes have not made any official announcements about when malware definition updates will end for this legacy version.

Your CPU must support the SSE2 instruction set (Pentium 4 or higher) in order to run Malwarebytes v3.5.1, and the Ransomware Protection module cannot be activated on a Win XP or Vista computer if you have a Malwarebytes Premium license that offers real-time protection.  See my 20-Oct-2021 post <here> for additional information.

Any user that has a Win 7 SP1 or higher OS that supports SHA-2 code signing of digital certificates should meet the system requirements posted <here> for the current Malwarebytes v4.5.9.  Win 7 SP1 users who are not certain if they have installed the KB4474419 update (rel. 23-Sep-2019) that adds SHA-2 code signing support should read rickoz's 23-May-2022 Definitions Not Updating for more information.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1706 * Firefox v100.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2203.5-1.1.19200.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.9.198-1.0.1689
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 1

• Root Admin

It is a 3 day holiday here in the US. It may take 3 to 5 workdays to receive a reply depending on how busy the Help desk is. Rest assured though they will assist you when your time comes up in the queue.

Thanks